CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting funded research studies
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Giving Statistical Consultancy to researchers/postgraduate students of various courses under MAHE
- Involved in teaching, assessment and curriculum revision of M.Sc Biostatistics
- Involved in teaching Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Methodology to M.Sc Allied Health and M.Sc Nursing courses
- Involved in teaching Certificate Course in Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Methodology
- Involved in conducting Practical Classes using SPSS to various courses under MAHE
- Involved in teaching Biostatistics and Research Methodology to Students of MDS
- Serving in Doctoral Advisory Committees
- Guide/Co-Guide: Guided 1 MPhil and 4 PhD (Completed), Currently guiding 4 candidates for PhD, Member of DAC for 3 Candidates
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Statistical Inference||MBS 505||Year I|
|Epidemiology and clinical trials||MBS 502||Year I|
|Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research methodology to various health science courses (MSc Nursing, MDS and more than 15 Masters degree courses of MCHP, MAHE)|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2001|
|M.Ed (Master of Education)||Evaluation: Theory and Practice||Mysore University||1995|
|MSc (Master of Science)||Statistics||Mangalore University||1983|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Dept. of Data Science, PSPH, MAHE (Formerly known as Dept. of Statistics)||Professor||Teaching, research and Statistical consultancy||June 2018 onwards|
|Dept. of Statistics, Manipal University||Associate Professor (Senior Scale)||Teaching, research and Statistical consultancy||Aug.2012 to June 2018|
|Dept. of Statistics, Manipal University||Associate Professor||Teaching, research and Statistical consultancy||Nov. 2006 to Aug.2012|
|Dept. of Statistics, Manipal University||Selection Grade Lecturer||Teaching, research and Statistical consultancy||Aug. 2006 to Nov.2006|
|KMC Manipal||Lecturer/Assistant Professor/ Selection Grade Lecturer||Teaching, research and Statistical consultancy||July 1985-Aug 2006|
Funded project completed/research grant received:
Received grant from ICSSR for a project entitled ‘PhD students’ contribution to the advancement of knowledge: a study of teachers in Colleges and Universities of Karnataka State’ for 2 years.
(Ref. F.No. 02/330/2011/RP dated 25/05/2012)
Received grant from DST (NSTMIS) for the project entitled “Promoting Research: Perception and Practices in Educational Institutions of India – A Cross Sectional Study” at the Department of Statistics, Manipal University, Manipal.
(Ref: letter No. DST/NSTMIS/05/173/2014-15).
Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) has Sanctioned grant for the project titled ‘’Women Faculties In Higher Education: Struggles And Success’’ for a period of two years.
(Ref. Letter No. Fo. 02/04/2015-16/ICSSR/RPR dated 20-05-2015.)
Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR-IMPRESS) has Sanctioned grant for the project titled “Academic Stress, Depression and Anxiety among Grade 11 and 12 Learners of Coastal Karnataka: A Cross Sectional Study” for a period of two years.
(Ref. Letter No. IMPRESS/P2828/226/2018-19/ICSSR dated March 11, 2019) (May 2019 to April 2021).
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Measurement and Evaluation in Education, Quality assessment in higher education, Designing questionnaire, Rating Scale development, Gender studies, Learning approach, Mental health of student population.
Area of Expertise
Tool development, Statistical Inference.
Area of Research
Approaches to learning, Women in higher education, Job satisfaction, Barriers to Research in Universities, Assessing research quality, Stress, anxiety and depression among Grade 11 and 12 students, tool development.
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
· Life Member of Indian Society for Medical Statistics
· Resource person for more than 50 Workshops (Teaching Learning, Student Evaluation, PG Orientation) organized by the department of Medical Education KMC Manipal from1985 to 2005
· Resource person for more than 100 workshops on Data Analysis using SPSS organized by various institutes across the country
· Resourse person for a number of workshops / certificate course in Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Methodology
· Resourse person for a number of workshops on Sample size computation, logistic regression, Statistics and research methodology, survey research and data analysis
· More than 35 presentations in National and International Conferences
- Best research paper award for the year 2005 (Dr. T.M.A. PAI Gold Medal) from Kasturba Medical College Manipal
- Best paper award for the paper entitled ‘Publications of dissertations: Quality, Quantity and the Associated Factors’ presented during the 2nd International Conference of Higher Education Research on February 25-26, 2014 at the Ritz-Carlton, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India
Author ID: 6506683124
Scopus Indexed Publications (2015 onwards):
Research design and statistical methods in Indian medical journals: a retrospective survey.
PloS one, 10(4), DOI: 10.1371/Journal.pone.0121268
3D Biomechanical Analysis of Foot in diabetes with and without peripheral neuropathy-A pilot study.
Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 7(3), 558-564.
Kinetics and kinematics of diabetic foot in type 2 diabetes mellitus with and without peripheral neuropathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
(2016) Hazari, A. Maiya, A. G. Shivashankara, K. N. Agouris, I. Monteiro, A. Jadhav, R. Mayya, S. S.
Springerplus, 5(1), 1-19. DOI: 10.1186/s40064-016-3405-9
Emotional aspects and pranayama in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy: A randomized controlled trial.
Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing, 3(2), 199.-204.
Prediction of intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) using novel method of non-invasive doppler ultrasound-A systematic review.
Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 41(1), 132-137.
Altered arterial doppler flow pattern and perinatal outcome in intrauterine growth restriction.
Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 10(3), 425-428.
Types of biological variables.
(2017). Mayya, S. S. Monteiro, A. D. Ganapathy, S.
J Thorac Dis;9(6):1730- 1733. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2017.05.75
Predictors of cancer-related fatigue among breast cancer patients at the beginning of radiotherapy in Karnataka.
Biomedicine (India), 37(3), 311-316.
Knowledge and awareness of dental implants as a treatment choice in adult population in South India: A hospital-based study.
Indian Journal of Dental Research, 29(3), 263-267.
Caregiver burden among caregivers of mentally ill individuals and their coping mechanisms.
Journal of neurosciences in rural practice, 9(02), 180-185.
Does gender difference matter in job satisfaction? A case of academicians in karnataka.
(2020). Mayya, S. S. Martis, M. Mayya, S.
Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 28(4), 2749-2764.
Fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary premolars with a longer single post and shorter double posts of different sizes: An in vitro study.
(2020). Mayya, A. Naik, R. Mayya, S. S. Paul, M. P.
Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry, 10(2), 183.
Dietary self-management practices among persons with T2DM: An exploratory qualitative study from western-coast of India.
Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, 14(6), 2161-2167.
Health Care Utilisation among Persons with a type 2 Diabetes Mellitus a Mixed-Method Study.
Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 11(8).
A Comparative Study of Surface Hardness between Two Bioceramic Materials in an Experimental Apexification Model under Wet and Dry Conditions.
(2020). Paul, M. P. Amin, S. Mayya, A. Naik, R. Mayya, S. S.
The Open Dentistry Journal, 14(1).
Women in Higher Education: Are They Ready to Take Up Administrative Positions?—A Mixed-Methods Approach to Identify the Barriers, Perceptions, and Expectations.
Sage Open, 11(1), 2158244020983272.