CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Part of the core team in the Department of Statistics, Manipal University for training PhD candidates in Research Methodology and Biostatistics.
- Resource person for training researchers in systematic reviews as a part of the South Asian Cochrane Network activities.
- Approved PhD and MD Dissertation supervisor.
- Member of Doctoral Advisory Committee for doctoral students.
- Involved in out-funded and non-funded research projects.
- Faculty guide for short term student research projects awarded by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) since 2005.
- External Reviewer for Public Health Nursing (Blackwell publishing), IJMR, Food and Nutrition Bulletin.
- In charge of a community cancer clinic that carries out cancer screening among rural population.
- Actively involved in various national programmes at the community level such as the pulse polio programme, family health awareness week and mass drug administration for filarial control.
Dr Suma Nair teaches undergraduate MBBS students and postgraduate MD students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Community Medicine||MBBS||3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th semester|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MD||Community Medicine||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||2004|
|MBBS||Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai||1990|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC,Manipal||Professor and Head of the Department||12/2/2018 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||2009|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||2004 to 2009|
|KMC, Manipal||Tutor||2000 to 2004|
|Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Registrar (Internal Medicine)||1997 to 2000|
|Mediciti Hospitals, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||Fellow in Cardiology||1992 to 1993|
|Mercury Nursing Home, Egmore, Chennai||Resident Medical Officer||1990 to 1991|
|Bhailal Amin General Hospital, Vadodara, Gujarat||Resident Medical Officer||1992 to 1993|
|Government Royapettah General Hospital, Chennai||Intern||1989 to 1990|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Cancer Screening with focus on Breast cancer , NCD Epidemiology , Malaria and TB Control , Maternal and Child Health , Technology in Health , Cancer Screening with focus on Breast cancer
Area of Expertise
Epidemiology , Research Methodology , Systematic Reviews , Cancer Screening , Epidemiology , Research Methodology
Area of Research
Breast Cancer Epidemiology / Survival , Behavioural interventions from cardiovascular risk factors , Worksite wellness interventions and their efficacy , Malaria prevention & control , TB burden among vulnerable group
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Member of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine (IAPSM), 2002.
- Member of Indian Medical Association (IMA), 2002.
- Member of Cochrane Breast Cancer Review Group, 2004.
- Member of Karnataka Association of Community Health (KACH), 2011.
Risk factors for under-nutrition among children aged one to five years in Udupi taluk of Karnataka, India: A case control study
2012-01-01 Basit A Nair NS Chakraborthy KB Darshan BB
Behavioural risk factors and health promotional activities in adults at risk of cardiovascular disease in a South Indian Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Risk factors for breast cancer among women attending a tertiary care hospital in southern India
2010-01-04 Harrison AP Srinivasan K Binu VS Vidyasagar MS Nair NS
International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health
Pyronaridine for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria
2007-24-01 Unnikrishnan B Nair NS Rajeev A
Acceptability and effectiveness of a breast health awareness programme for rural women in India
Indian Journal of Medical Sciences
Mobile monitoring solutions to improve health outcomes in Type II diabetes mellitus - A systematic review
2012-01-01 Nair S Unnikrishnan B Ram VI Verma AV
A targeted intervention to promote breast cancer screening among rural women in Coastal Karnataka, India
2008-01-01 Nair S Vidyasagar MS Nair NS
J Epidemiol Community Health
Do health care providers adhere to the revised malaria control guidelines?
Environmental and biochemical risk markers for breast cancer
2014-01-01 Thejas Kathrikolli
To identify environmental factors and biochemical parameters in the aetiology of breast cancer and assess their relevance as a screening marker