The Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics was established in 1987 and the post graduate teaching program began in 2009. The primary goal of this department is prevention, diagnosis and conservative based treatment of dental caries and diseases and defects of natural teeth. This department is fully equipped with the latest equipment and technology and has adapted holistic and preventive approach towards ailments of the dentition. This department specializes in treatment of pulpal and periapical diseases through non-surgical and surgical methods.
- State-of-the-art infrastructure with Operating Microscope, Dental loupes, and RVG.
- Produced numerous nationally and internationally awarded research work and presentations.
- State Government Grants for infrastructure development.
- Runs two certificate programmes - Fellowship in Restorative Dentistry and Certificate Course in Modern Endodontics.
- Prevention, diagnosis and conservative based treatment of dental caries and diseases and defects of natural teeth in adults.
- Conservative management like vital pulp therapies, regenerative pulpal procedures.
- Preventive treatment modalities like atraumatic restorative treatment, fluoride varnishes, pit & fissure sealant application, preventive resin restorations.
- Restorative management using latest techniques and materials.
- Micro dentistry (Carl Zeiss Operating Microscope, Seiler microscopes and loupes)
- Rotary dentistry
- Interdisciplinary treatment approach in adults.
- Comprehensive management of medically compromised patients.
- Management of Traumatic injuries of the dentition
The Department has collaborations for research with,
- Dentsply Sirona
- Manipal Centre for Advanced Research, Manipal.
- Manipal Institute of technology, Manipal.
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal.
- Department of Microbiology and Department of Biochemistry, KMC Mangalore.
- Dept. of Metallurgical and Material Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Surathkal.
- College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, USA.
- University of Portsmouth, UK.
- The department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics holds a collaboration along with Centre for Advanced Dental Education for its photography workshop.
- Scientific Project on Direct Pulp Capping with Propolis and Calcium Hydroxide: Clinical Study with Department of Restorative Dentistry at Federal University of Alagoas, Brazil.
- Scientific Project on Direct Pulp Capping with Propolis and Calcium Hydroxide: Clinical Study, IMU Malaysia.
A unique course of one complete year duration where multidisciplinary approach in Restorative dentistry, Endodontics, Prosthodontics and Periodontics is taught by the masters in the field. Modern concepts are discussed along with hands on experience of array of Hi-tech clinical tools in Endodontics, Aesthetic dentistry and Restorative dentistry which helps in improving clinical skills. Excellent training and handy clinical tips are given for modern clinical practice. Hands on training in lasers, surgical microscope, rotary endodontic systems, thermoplasticized GP systems, CBCT etc. will be given by experts. There are abundant clinical materials for hands on training. Preclinical training and clinical training on patients will be given with detailed description on modern concepts on occlusion, smile design and canal disinfection. This course will help to build up confidence in clinical practice.
MODERN ENDODONTIC PRACTICE
This is an intensive 5 day program designed for dental practitioners, consisting of clinically oriented lectures; hands-on workshops and clinical demonstrations, on various aspects of non-surgical root canal therapy using contemporary techniques and armamentarium. The course will enhance the participants’ knowledge and skill in various topics like endodontic diagnosis, radiography in endodontics, pre-endodontic preparation-Anaesthesia and isolation, magnification, access cavity preparation, irrigates and irrigation devices, Root canal shaping- using rotary Ni-Ti instruments, root canal obturation, post-endodontic restoration. All the materials and equipment required for the course will be provided. The resource faculties for the program will be stalwarts in the field of endodontics.
Crown down preparation of the root canals with different systems of rotary files has been incorporated to perform endodontic procedure
Departmental lab facilities
Induction Casting Machine, Ceramic Furnace – Multimate 2 Touch Plus Press (Dentsply), VITA V 60 i-Line (VITA), Vacuum Investment Equipment, Equipment for Ceramic, Pindex ( Lasin Labo -15), Vibrator.
Restoration of mutilated teeth with smile designing is performed in the department.
Radiovisiography (RVG), Surgical Microscope, Intra oral camera, Apex Locators, LEDs for Aesthetic treatment, Thermoplasticized GP Systems, Ultrasonic micro surgical Kits,. Lasers.
The department is fully equipped with the latest technological armamentarium to carry out conservative treatment using operating microscopes. In addition, treatment procedures are also carried out using air abrasion technique and Diode lasers.
Certificate course in Modern Endodontics
This program enhances the participants’ knowledge and skill in various topics like endodontic diagnosis, radiography in endodontics, pre-endodontic preparation- Anaesthesia and isolation, magnification, access cavity preparation, irrigates and irrigation devices.
Research & Publications
The crucial research areas are: Stress distribution in attachment systems of implant supported overdentures. Stress distribution in angulated implant abutments in anterior maxilla. Effect repeated cycles of chemical disinfection and microwave irradiation on surface roughness of relining materials and denture base acrylic resin. Efficacy of gingival retraction techniques. Bond strength of luting cements. Evaluation of dental implant impressions.
The department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics at MCODS Mangalore is second to none. It's state-of-the-art equipment and facilities helped me hone my skills and set me up for an independent practice in endodontics. The jewel of the Department are its immensely dedicated staff that leave no stone unturned for the betterment of their students. I shall forever be indebted to the entire department.
Dr. Manak Khosla,
(Batch 2009) Endodontist, Private Practitioner, Delhi
In MCODS, Mangalore you can be sure to find seasoned faculty who encourage the students to strive for excellence . Moreover, it is equipped with the latest equipment and materials which provides valuable exposure for future clinical practice. Truly my privilege to have studied here!
Dr. Bettina Ashwini
(Batch of 2016)
Dept. of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, (MCODS, Mangalore) with its excellent teaching staff and state of the art facilities provides a conducive learning environment that not only motivates us to push our limits but also practice quality dentistry.
Dr. Ashwini Dessai
(Batch of 2016)
MCODS was the best experience of my life. The world-class infrastructure and the most amazing and helpful staff members make your educational journey very easy and inculcate very good moral values and work ethics. I will be forever grateful to this institution.
Dr. Ankita Sharma
(Batch of 2016)