The Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics, established in 1983, focusses on craniofacial growth and the development of the dentition and occlusion, while concentrating on prevention and correction of occlusal anomalies. A solid understanding of orthodontics is an essential prerequisite to planning treatment in children and treating complex malocclusion in adults.
The undergraduate training begins from second year of the BDS program and contains didactic, practical and clinical components. Students learn the art of basic wire bending, examining and diagnosing dental and craniofacial anomalies and are trained in treating mild malocclusions with removable and functional orthodontic appliances.
The postgraduate program covers all aspects of the discipline and emphasizes clinical care and patient satisfaction through advanced diagnosis and treatment techniques with good academic background and extensive clinical training under experienced faculty.
- Group discussion method
- Chair side discussion of case history
- Practical classes.
- Seminars and journal clubs
- Chair side discussion of cases
- CDE programs
- Inter-department clinical club.
- Study model analysis
- Analysis of Bond strength
- Re-mineralising properties of adhesive systems
- Cephalometric analysis and FEM evaluation of craniofacial deformities
- Newer methods to reduce treatment duration
- Frictional properties of various bracket types and arch wire combination
- To understand the basics of growth and development, diagnosis
- To fabricate components of removable appliances.
The Dept. of Orthodontics offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
Our areas of research are: FEM Studies on arch wires, Bond Strength of Orthodontic Adhesives Friction in Orthodontic arch wires, Bracket Recycling etc.
We offer advanced treatment options for our patients, where our patient management software tracks patient information, diagnoses and progress of treatment etc.
Our well-equipped postgraduate section treats 10, 000 cases a year, where young and adult patients are offered finest treatments.
Dolphin imaging software
The software provides 2D/3D imaging, diagnostic etc.
Research & Publications
The areas of research include: • Early diagnosis of oral cancer by detection and management of potentially malignant oral disorders. • Temporomandibular joint disorders. • Radiological diagnosis of various maxillofacial pathologies.