Dr. Sonia R. B. D’Souza
Professor & HOD
Department of Obstetrical and Gynaecological Nursing
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Subject Coordinator for I Year M.Sc (Research and Statistics)
- Subject Coordinator for II Year M.Sc (Dissertation and Viva Voce)
- Class Coordinator for I year M.Sc Nursing
Sonia Rosaline Blanch D’Souza is a Professor & Head, Department of Obstetrical and Gynaecological Nursing, MCON Manipal.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Obstetrical and Gynaecological Nursing||I MSc Nursing|
|Sociology||II BSc Nursing|
|Clinical Nursing I – Sociology||P.B Diploma Nursing|
|Nursing Research and Statistics||I Year MSc Nursing|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|Certificate Training Program in “Qualitative Data Analysis using Nvivo-11”||MCON Manipal and Heurexler Research Centre, New Delhi||23 May 2017|
|Introduction to Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis||Coursera,Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States.||August 2016|
|Ph.D||Manipal University, Manipal||October 2014|
|Master of Philosophy||Sociology||Madhurai Kamaraj University, Tamil Nadu||2011|
|Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Methodology||Department of Statistics, Manipal University, Manipal.||December 2008|
|Master of Science in Nursing||Nursing||Manipal College of Nursing Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2008|
|Master of Arts||Sociology||Karnataka State Open University, Mysore||2004|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing||Nursing||Fr Muller College of Nursing, Mangalore, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore||2001|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal||Professor||March 12, 2018|
|Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal||Associate Professor||2009 - 2018|
|Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal University||Lecturer||2006 - 2009|
|Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal University||Assistant Lecturer||2002 - 2003|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Neonatal health and problems, alternative and complementary therapies for maternal and perinatal problems, maternal social health problems
Area of Expertise
Developmental supportive care of preterm infants, maternal and new-born care, care during childbirth, breastfeeding support
Area of Research
Effect of Instrumental Indian classical music on developmental responses of preterm infants, Research on preterm infants
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Karnataka State Nursing Council (RNRM registration): 00027807
- Trained Nurses Association of India 115396
- Society of Midwives, India 2007
- National Research Society of India 763
- National Neonatology Forum (NNF), India KAR/ L-2804
- NNF, Karnataka State Chapter, Bengaluru NNF-K/LM/AM/NM/CM/2015/025
- Ragini Ranjan Memorial Special Award for the paper on “Effectiveness of Instrumental Indian Classical music on the neurodevelopmental outcomes of preterm infants admitted to a tertiary level hospital” during the Karnataka state level conference ‘KarNeocon 2018’ organized by National Neonatology Forum, Karnataka Chapter in Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bengaluru on 3-4 March 2018.
- Best Oral paper award for the paper on “Noise and behavioral responses in preterm infants admitted to a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a tertiary referral hospital in South India: Challenge to health care delivery” during International conference on Global Challenges in health care organized by MCON, MAHE, Manipal
- Award for the ‘Maximum number of publications in Scopus indexed journals – 2017’ during the Awards and Annual Day celebration of MCON, MAHE, Manipal for the year 2017 held on 27 January 2018
- Best Scientific Paper award for the paper titled “Effectiveness of Indian Classical music on pace of growth in preterm infants - A Randomized Controlled Trial” among the oral paper presentation category during the International Conference on Enrich, Empower & Embrace: Nursing held at Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, College of Nursing, Pune on 9-10 February 2017
- Paper titled “Effectiveness of Indian Classical music on composition of weight and growth velocity in preterm infants - A Randomized Controlled Trial” was selected as one of the papers among 3 papers in India for NNF Social Neonatology Gold Medal Award category during the 34th Annual convention of NNF (National Neonatology Forum) National conference hosted by NNF Bihar Chapter in Hotel Maurya International, Patna, Bihar from 4th to 7th December, 2014
- Paper titled “Effectiveness of Instrumental Indian Classical music on serum cortisol concentrations of preterm infants on assisted ventilation - a prospective, randomized controlled trial” was selected as one of the papers among 3 papers in India for the NNF Social Neonatology Gold Medal Award category during the 32nd Annual convention of NNF, New Delhi on the theme ‘Urban neonatal health’ in December 2012
- Best Paper award for the paper titled “An exploratory study on socio-cultural taboos and misconceptions regarding food consumption during pregnancy among tribal women attending selected health care settings, Udupi district, Karnataka” among the oral paper presentation category during the International Conference on Transcultural Nursing by MCON, Manipal in November, 2011
- Best paper award for the paper titled “Efficacy of ‘nesting’ on cardio-respiratory stability of preterm infants on assisted ventilation using a reliable ‘SCRIP score” among the oral paper presentation category during Regional conference on Recent trends in MCH care by PSG college of Nursing, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu in October, 2010
- Smt. & Sri. K.V. Raman Nair memorial prize sponsored by the Founder Dean of Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal for the best published research paper in an indexed journal during the Annual day of MCON, Manipal for the year 2009
- Second Rank in M.A Sociology by Karnataka State Open University (KSOU), Mysore, Karnataka in the examination held during June 2004
- First place in Handwriting (Kannada) competition- ‘Kalasangam 2002’ by Mangalore Musical and Cultural Association (Regd.), Mangalore held in November 2002
- Best Health education puppet show titled “ Safe blood saves lives” health education using puppetry for the theme “Safe Blood” in the health education competition held by the SNA State branch in Moodbidri, Karnataka in 2001-2002
Financial supports/Grants received as Co-PI:
- “Effectiveness of Instrumental Indian Classical music on serum cortisol concentrations and developmental responses of preterm infants on assisted ventilation admitted to a tertiary level neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), Kasturba Medical College Hospital, Manipal - a prospective, Randomized Controlled Trial” funded by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) RFC No. RHN/Ad-hoc/34/2011-12 IRIS.ID: 2011-00070, 2011-2014.
- National level workshop on ‘reduce maternal and infant mortality- midwives act now’ by Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing, Fr. Muller College of Nursing, Mangalore on the topic “ Professional Recognition as Midwives” on 8th March 2014.
- Continuing Nursing Education(CNE) session for staff nurses of Dr.TMA Pai Hospital, Udupi on “Managing Breast feeding problems” as part of World Breast Feeding week celebration under the theme- ‘Breastfeeding support: close to mothers’ on 13th August, 2013.
- Panel discussion on ‘Closing the Gap: Millennium Development Goals. Organized by: Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal as part of International Nurses’ day on 12th May, 2013
- National Level Workshop on “Research Methodology - Novice to Ninja” organized by Alshifa College of Nursing, Perinthalmanna, Kerala on topics – “Case control Vs Cohort studies” and “ Randomized controlled Trials and systematic reviews” on 6th April, 2013
- Chaired session in the NNF (National Neonatology Forum) 32nd Annual convention organized by National Neonatology Forum (NNF), New Delhi Branch, India in December, 2012
- Quiz Master for quiz held as part of ‘Newborn week Celebration’ under the theme “Urban Neonatal Health” organized by Department of Maternity and Child Health Nursing, MCON, MU, Manipal in November, 2012.
Perinatal Outcomes of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review Protocol.
2018-01-04 Ranjani P Sweety Jousline Fernandes Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha Anitha S.
Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Vol. 12, No. 2, 283-287.
Knowledge, Attitude and Risk Perception for Diabetes among Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.
2018-01-04 Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha Sushmitha Ramona Karkada Anusuya Shobha Sweety Jousline Fernandes Pratibha
Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, Vol.9, No. 4,19-24.
A Study to Assess Functional Assessment and Lived Experiences of Cervical Cancer Patients Admitted to a Tertiary Level Hospital of Udupi District, Karnataka-A Mixed Method Protocol
2018-01-04 Ranjani P Sweety Jousline Fernandes Pratibha Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha Sushmitha Ramona Karkada Shobha
Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, Vol.9, No. 4. 321-325
Behavioral Responses to Noise in Preterm Infants Admitted to a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Referral Hospital in South India.
2018-01-01 Leslie E Lewis Vijay Kumar Hari Prakash
Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, Vol. 9, No. 1. 422-426.
Maternal outcomes of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) during Pregnancy in India.
2018-01-01 Ranjani P Sweety Jousline Fernandes Anitha S
Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Vol. 12, No. 1. 309-312
Nurse-Led Early Initiation of Breastfeeding on the LATCH Scoring System.
2018-01-01 Geena Louis D’Souza Pratibha Leslie E Lewis
Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. Vol. 9, No. 1. 417-421.
Physiological Responses to Noise in Preterm Infants Admitted to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Referral Hospital in South India.
2018-01-01 Leslie E.S Lewis Vijay Kumar Ramesh Bhat Jayashree Purkayastha Hari Prakash Asha Kamath
Medico-legal Update, Vol.18, No. 1. 248-252
A study of supine Vs. prone positioning on responses of preterm infants on ventilator support- A randomized controlled trial protocol.
2017-01-10 Leslie E Lewis Laveena D’Souza
Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. Vol.8, No.4. 319-323. doi number: 105958/0976-5506.2017.00362.X
Ambient noise levels in acute Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a tertiary referral hospital.
2017-01-10 Leslie E.S Lewis Vijay Kumar Ramesh Bhat Jayashree Purkayastha Hari Prakash
Journal of Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences University. Vol 6, No. 4. 50-58
Perception of health-care personnel regarding noise and attitudes regarding implementation of music in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
2017-01-10 Pratibha Sweety Jousline Fernandes Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha Sushmitha Ramona Karkada Shobha Leslie E Lewis
Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. Vol.8, No.4. 225-230. doi number: 105958/0976-5506.2017.003444.8
Effectiveness of Early Initiation of Breastfeeding on Sleeping Pattern of Newborns – An Evaluative Study.
2017-01-07 Geena Louis D’Souza Pratibha
Medico-legal Update, Vol.17, No. 2. 248-252
Effectiveness of Indian Classical Music on Developmental Responses of Preterm Infants - A Randomized Controlled Trial Protocol.
2017-01-07 Leslie E.S Lewis Vijay Kumar Ramesh Bhat Jayashree Purkayastha Asha Kamath
Medico-legal Update, Vol.17, No. 2. 243 - 247.
Perceived Self-Efficacy Regarding Neonatal Care among Postnatal Mothers of Selected Manipal Group of Hospitals in Udupi District Karnataka
2016-01-09 Binu Thapa Pratibha
Nitte University Journal of Health Science (NUJHS), Vol. 6, No.3, 3-5
Knowledge Regarding Neonatal Care among Postnatal Mothers of Selected Manipal Group of Hospitals in Udupi District Karnataka.
2016-01-07 Binu Thapa Pratibha
International Journal of Nursing Care, Volume 4, No.2. 47-49.
Prevalence of Urinary Tract Infection and the effectiveness of an awareness programme on urinary tract infection among antenatal mothers attending the outpatient department of Tertiary level Hospital, Manipal.
2016-01-01 Reshma Rozalin Noronha Anusuya
Asian Academic Research Journal of Multidisciplinary, Volume 3, Issue 1. 137-141
Thyroid Ectopia Mimicking a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst (TDC): A Case Report.
2015-01-01 Kumar, Vijay Prabhu, Santhosh Sundeep, PT
Manipal Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences, 1 (2). pp. 121-122.
Noise in Neonatal Intensive care unit: Effects on Hospitalized Preterm Infants.
2015-01-01 Lewis Leslie E Kumar Vijay Kamath Asha Baby S Nayak Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha Dr Anice George
Manipal Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences, 1 (1). pp. 57-62.
Development of a tool for assessing preterm infants.
2014-01-07 Vijay Kumar Leslie Edward Lewis
Nursing and Midwifery Research Journal. Vol-10, No.3. 91-99
Knowledge and attitude of married women in reproductive age regarding emergency contraception in Udupi district.
2014-01-01 Preethi Fernandes Sushmitha Ramona Karkada
Journal of Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences University. Vol 3, No. 1. 64 – 69.
Learning needs and nursing care needs of postnatal women: Perception of women and the nurses
2012-01-01 Lydia David Anusuya Leslie Lewis
I-Manager’s Journal on Nursing. Vol 2 (4).
Alcohol versus sterile water cleaning for newborn umbilical cord care.
2011-01-08 Ranjani P Baby S Nayak Maria Pais Manjula
I-manager’s Journal on Nursing, vol. 1. no. 3, 17-23
Preparing primigravid women for childbirth: Behavioral responses to labour pain and outcome of labour
2010-01-07 Eva Chris Karkada Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha
International Journal of Nursing Education, Volume 2, No.2. 15-17.
An evaluative study to determine the effectiveness of childbirth preparation class in terms of behavioural responses during first stage of labour and outcome of labour among primigravid women in selected hospitals of South India.
2010-01-01 Eva Chris Karkada Dr Judith Angelitta Noronha
Malaysian Journal of Nursing Online Available at: http://mjn-e-news.com.my/resources-publications/research-papers
Relationship between stress, coping and nursing support of parents of preterm infants admitted to tertiary level neonatal intensive care units of Karnataka, India: A cross-sectional survey
2009-01-01 Karkada,S Lewis,L.E Mayya,S Gudattu,V
Journal of Neonatal Nursing. 15, 152-158.
Effectiveness of breast massage on experience of breast milk expression and volume among mothers of preterm neonates admitted to NICU of Kasturba Hospital, Manipal
2011-01-01 Sharmila Jose
Purpose: Breast massage would increase the breast milk volume and whether breast massage had an effect on breast milk expression experience was identified and then this is used as a protocol in the NICU. Objectives: • To evaluate effectiveness of breast massage on expressed breast milk volume, manual breast milk expression experience and total duration of manual breast milk expression • To find relationship between expressed breast milk volume and variables like age, parity, gestational age of neonate and fluid intake of the mother.
Let us make India a better place for living for women
Dhwani Manipal college of Nursing Manipal Annual magazine. India, the largest democracy in the world, propagates respect for every human being, national or international. The constitution also guarantees equality and dignity to all women irrespective of their religion, caste, creed or culture. Yet, gender inequality and violence against women are the burning issues in this largest democracy.