Dr Sonal Sekhar M
Assistant Professor-Selection Grade
Date of Joining: 21.03.2011
Department of Pharmacy Practice
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Staff Coordinator for second Year Pharm.D program
- Subject-incharge for Clinical Toxicology (PPR 4.6 T) for IV Pharm.D, Pathophysiology (PPR 2.1T), Pharmacotherapeutics-I (PPR 2.6T) and Pharmacotherapeutics-I Lab (PPR 2.6L)
- Guide for M.Pharm dissertation work and Pharm.D project
- Approved PhD guide under MAHE
- Member of Department Research Committee (DRC)
- Member of Publicity Committee, MCOPS
- Member of Disciplinary Committee, MCOPS
- Coordinator for Centre for Public Health Pharmacy
- Staff coordinator for Pharmacy Literacy Club
- Staff editor for DigiDose- a quarterly newsletter
Sonal Sekhar M teaches undergraduate and postgraduate students. He conducts research activities including guiding PhD scholars. He takes practical classes and bedside teaching including problem-based learning. He has following roles and responsibilities:
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Pharmacotherapeutics-III||Fourth Year Pharm.D|
|Clinical Toxicology||Fourth Year Pharm.D|
|Pharmacotherapeutics I & II||First Year Pharm.D (PB)|
|Case Based Learning of Therapeutics Lab||Fourth Year B.Pharm|
|Pharmacotherapeutics-I||First Semester MPharm|
|Pharmacotherapeutics-II||First Semester MPharm|
|Principles of Quality Use of Medicines||Second Semester MPharm|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy)||Pharmacy Practice, Pharmaceutical Sciences||Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal||2016|
|MPharm (Master of Pharmacy)||Pharmacy Practice||VIPS (Visveswarapura Instititute of Pharmaceutical Science )/ RGUHS(Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences)||2006|
|BPharm (Bachelor of Pharmacy)||Pharmacy||JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore/RGUHS||2003|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Pharmacy Practice, MCOPS||Assistant Professor-Selection Grade||2016-onwards|
|Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Canada||Pharmabridge Fellow||Clinical Pharmacy Rotation (Paediatric Pharmacy)||2013|
|Department of Pharmacy Practice, MCOPS||Assistant Professor-Senior Scale||Teaching and research||2011|
|Department of Pharmacy Practice, MCOPS||Lecturer||Teaching and research||2011|
|Amrita School of Pharmacy, Kochi||Senior Lecturer||Teaching and Guiding PharmD, MPharm and BPharm students. Participating in research activities||2006 - 2011|
|Milind Institute of Pharmacy, Bangalore||Lecturer||Teaching BPharm students||2006 - 2006|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Diabetic research, Antibiotic Stewardship, Probiotic research, Drug Safety
Area of Expertise
Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacotherapeutics
Area of Research
Diabetic foot ulcer and Antimicrobial Suceptability Pattern
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of International Society of Infectious Disease, 2012.
- Founder Member of Association of Practicing Pharmacists and Clinical Pharmacologists of India, 2011.
- Life Member of Association of community pharmacist of India, 2011.
- Life Member of Inpharm Association, 2011.
- Life Member of Indian Society for Technical Education, 2010.
- Life Member of Indian Hospital Pharmacist Association, 2010.
- Life Member of Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers, 2006.
- First prize for the poster entitled “Statin Induced Diabetes Mellitus in Cardiovascular Patients: A Multicentric Observational Study of Hospital Databases in South Indian Tertiary Healthcare Facilities” in Manipal Cardiology Update-2016 CME on Infection and the Heart on 1st November 2016 at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal.
- First prize for the poster entitled “Development and evaluation of Onconurse Practice- A Smartphone Application for Oncology Nurses” in the Conference on Technological Applications in Healthcare (TAHCON-2016) 17th -18th September 2016 at Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal.
- ISPE’s Scholarship granted to attend the 32nd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management (ICPE), Dublin, Ireland August 25-28, 2016.
- ISPE’s Scholarship granted to attend The ISPE's 9th Asian Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology, November 14-16, 2015 in Thailand.
- Sir Dorabji Tata Trust - Travel Grant for ISPOR 18th European Congress, November 7-11, 2015 in Milan, Italy. (Ref:DTT:TG:349:2015-16)
- Second prize for poster presentation entitled “Surveillance Study on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern and Quality Of Life (QoL) in Diabetic Foot Ulcer Patients in a South-Indian Tertiary Care Hospital” at International Conference on Roles and Responsibilities of Pharmacist on Chronic Disease Management, Adverse Drug Reaction and Therapeutic Monitoring on 24th & 25th, April 2015 at PSG College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore co-sponsored by DST, New Delhi.
- Best poster award for poster presentation entitled “Adverse drug reaction related hospitalization in a tertiary care hospital in a South India: A study based on WHO ICD Classification”. At 3rd International Conference and Exhibition on Pharmacovigilance & Clinical trials on 27th to 29th Oct.2014 at Hyderabad.
- ICMR International Travle grant for Non-ICMR scientist, Indian Council of Medical Research,New Delhi for attending 5th FIP- Pharmaceutical Science World Congress (PSWC) 2014 held 13-16 April 2014 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Pharmabridge training fellowship from Pharmabridge, FIP in 2013
- INSA-CSIR-BRNS/DAE-CICS Joint Travel Fellowship from Centre for International Co-operation in Science(CICS), Chennai for attending Pharmabridge Training Programme at CHEO Hospital, Ottawa, Canada in 2013.
- Travel Grant from the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi for attending International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) World Centennial Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in 3rd -8th October 2012 at Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- First prize for poster presentation entitled “ Indian Herbal Drug for General Healthcare:An Overview”. at National Conference on Novel concepts on Pharmaceutical Research-PHYCOPHARM 09” Sponsored by AICTE & Organized by Nehru College of Pharmacy on 21st & 22nd 2009, Thrissur, Kerala.
- Second prize for poster presentation entitled “Secrets of anti-aging science”.at National Seminar on Recent Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Education on 28th Nov.2008 at Al Shifa College of Pharmacy, Perinthalmanna.
- Board of Studies (BoS) member of Pharm.D programme of Amrita School of Pharmacy, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, Kochi, Kerala.
|Innovex (Pvt) Ltd||Executive Scientific information. Pharmaceutical marketing|
|Micro-labs (Pvt) Ltd||Industrial Trainee. Industrial training programme|
Full Publications list
Synbiotic formulation of probiotic and lactulose combination for hepatic encephalopathy treatment - a realistic hope
2013-01-01 Gabriel Sunil Rodrigues Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay
Medical Hypotheses, 2013, 81(2).
Preparation and readability assessment of patient information leaflets (PILs) for diabetic foot ulcers
2013-01-01 Raymol Thomas Roy Gabriel Sunil Rodrigues Rajesh V
Journal of Social Health and Diabetes, 2013, 1(2).
Inhalant abuse - a rising public health problem
2013-01-01 Navya Vyas Rajesh V
International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health 2013, 2(1).
A study on prescription pattern and side effects of migraine medication
2013-01-01 Shalini Sasidharan Rajesh V Siby Joseph
Indian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 2013, 50.
Defensive medicine-a bane to healthcare
2013-01-01 Navya Vyas
Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research, 2013, 3(2).
Paraquat - a deadly poison - report of a case and review
2013-01-01 Kavitha Saravu Ananth Pai Ananthakrishna Shastry B Rajesh V
Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 2013 17.
Assessment of medicine information provided on demand by clinical pharmacists in nephrology wards in a tertiary care hospital
2013-01-01 Prasanna Kumar Ahsan FKK Sudeepthi BL Kazim S
Indian Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 2013, 6(3).
Fetal alcoholic spectrum disorder
2012-01-01 Navya Vyas
Sudanese Journal of Public Health, 2012, 7(1).
Antibiotic resistance - a global threat to human society
2012-01-01 Siby Joseph Simi George Meera NK
International Journal of Pharma Research, 2012.
Migraine management - how do the adult and paediatric migraines differ
2012-01-01 Shalini Sasidharan Siby Joseph Anand Kumar
Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal 2012, 20(1).
Impact of patient education on quality of life of diabetic foot ulcer patients
2011-01-01 Raymol Thomas Roy
MPharm (Pharmacy Practice) dissertation, 2011 .
Drug related hospital admissions in a tertiary care teaching hospital
2008-01-01 Sri Sai Kiran Vempati Nandita Ragoo Kolli Nivya
PharmD project, 2008.
Study on epidemiology, disability and management of migraine in a tertiary care hospital
2009-01-01 Salini Sasidharan
MPharm (Pharmacy Practice) dissertation, 2009 .
Study on drug related hospital admission in a teritary care hospital in South India
2006-01-01 Adheena Mary C Anju PG Nishana Ameer Hamsa
BPharm Project, 2006.
Study on drug in paediatric inpatients in a tertiary care hospital
2005-01-01 Divya V Meethu SM Neethu AS Ramitha PS
BPharm Project, 2005.
Genetic engineering techniques in biotechnology based pharmaceuticals.
<a href="www.refdoc.fr/Detailnotice?idarticle=2137463">Genetic engineering techniques in biotechnology based pharmaceuticals.</a>Authors - Subin Mary Zachariah, Roshni PR, Dinesh Chandra Joshi.
Clinical management - Avian flu
<a href="cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20820255">Clinical management - Avian flu</a>Authors - Shilpa Raj, Radhika Menon, Revikumar KG.
Emerging role of excipients in pharmaceutical industry
<a href="www.docstoc.com/docs/44374411/Emerging-Role-of-Excipients-in-the-Pharmaceutical Industry">Emerging role of excipients in pharmaceutical industry</a>,Authors - Jiny Varghese K, Aneesh TP, Deepa T Vasudevan, Revikumar KG.
Medication Errors-Better Safe than Sorry
Autors Sonal Sekhar, Asha Jose, Liya Elizabeth Bose, Aneesh TP, Dennis Thomas. Medication Errors-Better Safe than Sorry, Authors - Sonal Sekhar, Asha Jose, Liya Elizabeth Bose, Aneesh TP, Dennis Thomas.