The Manipal School of Architecture and Planning (MSAP), is a constituent of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, (MAHE) started in 1978 with a Bachelor of Architecture degree under Mysore University. The institution came under the newly established Mangalore University in 1980 as the Department of Architecture. In October 2003, MAHE renamed the Department of Architecture as Faculty of Architecture.
In 2010, it became the 22nd institute of Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India. In April 2019, MAHE renamed the Faculty of Architecture as Manipal School of Architecture and Planning.
- It was ranked 2nd in IIRF 2023.
- It was ranked 15th in NIRF-2022.
- It was ranked 8th by Education World (EW) for India Higher Education Rankings 2022-2023.
- It was ranked 2nd & 3rd in top architectural colleges in all India private category by Outlook-ICARE in 2021 & 2022 respectively.
- It was ranked 18th in NIRF-2021.
- It was ranked 9th in India Today Best Colege in 2021.
- The department has a Bachelor of Architecture program and Masters program.
- It was ranked 1st in the category of Super Excellence in Global Human Resource Development Centre Pvt. Ltd. (GHRDC), New Delhi, Architecture College Surveys 2019.
- It was ranked 10th in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2018, Ministry of Human Resource Development Government of India.
- It was ranked 10th among the top architectural schools in India by Outlook Magazine in July 2013.
- It is recognized by the Council of Architecture (COA), New Delhi, and is ISO 9001:2008 ISO 4001:2004 certified.
- It is an institutional member of the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), New Delhi.
Vision and Mission
- Excellence in design education, enabling sustainable endeavors for societal well-being.
- Develop core competencies of design and professionalism to address societal and environmental concerns.
- Enable experiential learning and community engagement to encourage inclusive and sustainable design.
- Provide an international platform for interdisciplinary learning and collaborative research.