CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps in organising scientific programs in the department
- Is the curriculum coordinator
- Is the Chairperson of Hospital Infection Control Committee of the college hospitals
- Is involved in Diagnostic Microbiology.
- Guide for Research and Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS) for Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India
Dr Suchitra Shenoy M teaches Microbiology.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MBA (Masters in Business Administration)||Finance||Sikkim Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2010|
|MD (Doctor of Medicine)||Microbiology||MAHE University||2003|
|MBBS (Bachelor of medicine, Bachelor of Surgery)||MAHE University||1999|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Microbiology, KMC Mangalore||Associate Professor||2008 onwards|
|Department of Microbiology, KMC Mangalore||Assistant Professor||2003-2008|
|Department of Microbiology, KMC Mangalore||Tutor||2000-2003|
1. ASPIRE STUDY (A Surveillance study on The Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Bacterial Isolates collected from Patients at various Indian Tertiary Care Hospitals – A Multicentric PAN India study) PI: Dr. Shrikala Baliga CoI: Dr. Suchitra Shenoy Wockhardt Limited WOC/AMS/CT-44/14. Rs. 4,39,346 (2016)
2. Attitude and Knowledge of Antibiotic usage among people of Dakshina Kannada District and estimation of burden of antibiotic resistant gut bacteria in humans and poultry – A community based study. DBT Scholarship DBT/JRF/BET-16/I/2016/AL/08-438 Rs. 11,88,000 Ph.D Student: Ms. Khyati Bhardwaj. Guide: Dr. Shrikala Baliga Co-Guide: Dr. Suchitra Shenoy
3. Susceptibility testing of WCK 771 discs with recent 250 clinical isolates in tertiary care hospital. PI: Dr. Shrikala Baliga ,Co PI Dr. Suchitra Shenoy. Wockhardt Limited. Rs 40,000
4. Antimicrobial and Antibiofilm property of Melanin Pigment from Pseudomonas stutzeri: A Novel Agent PI: Dr. Suchitra Shenoy M Co-Investigators: Dr. Shrikala Baliga Dr. KeyurRaval, (NITK, Surathkal) . MAHE Seed Money grant. Rs. 25,000 - Feb 2019
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Teaching, Diagnostics and Research in MicrobiologyDiagnostics and Research in Microbiology
Area of Expertise
Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology
Area of Research
Bacteriology, Mycology, Virology
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Member of the antibiotic policy panel for the year.
- Executive council member of State Association, 2011.
- Joint Secretary of State Association, 2012.
- Life member of IAMM.
- Life member of IMA.
1. A Joon, P Rao, SM Shenoy, S Baliga Prevalence of Hepatitis A virus (HAV) and Hepatitis E virus (HEV) in the patients presenting with acute viral hepatitis IJMM 2015;Vol 33(Supplement 1): S102-5
2. Kamath M. P, Vishnu Prasad K.P, Vijendra Shenoy S, Aswin M, Suchithra Shenoy M Chrysosporium: An Uncommon Fungus in Chronic Rhinosinusitis JCDR 2015 Mar, Vol-9(3): MD01-MD02
3. Liz Mary Paul, Ashwini Hegde, Tanvi Pai, Subodh Shetty, Shrikala Baliga, Suchitra Shenoy. An Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia Bacteremia in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Indian J Pediatr 2016; 83(4):285–288
4. Richa Sinha, Sphurti Kamath, Suchitra Shenoy M. Association of risk factors, Antimicrobial resistance trends, and occurrence of bla TEM, bla CTX M and bla SHV in Escherichia coli Causing Bacteremia. Infectious disorders – Drug targets 2016; 16: 95 – 100
5. Bangera D, Shenoy SM, Saldanha DRM. Clinico-microbiological study of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in wound infections and the detection of metallo-β-lactamase production. Int Wound J 2016; 13:1299–1302
6. Rangnekar Aseem, Shalini Shenoy, Suchitra Shenoy Mala, Shrikala Baliga, Agarwal Ashish Approach to Carbapenemase Detection in Klebsiella pneumoniae in Routine Diagnostic Laboratories, JCDR 2016 Dec ; 10(12): DC24-DC27
7. Bijina BR, Ahmed J, Shenoy N, Ongole R, Shenoy S, Baliga S. Detection of human papilloma virus in potentially malignant and malignant lesions of the oral cavity and a study of associated risk factors. South Asian J Cancer 2016; 5: 179-81.
8. Tanya Rakshit, Suchitra Shenoy M How resistant is Staphylococcus aureus to the topical antibiotic mupirocin? JGAR 2017; 8: 102–103
9. Prerna Khurana, Shrikala Baliga, Suchitra Shenoy M, Prasanna Mithra P A rising threat – risk factors and outcomes related to infections with Acinetobacter species Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 2017; 10(3); 108-111
10. Mohit Chaubey, Shenoy Suchitra M Occurrence of TEM, SHV, and CTXM beta lactamases in Clinical Isolates of Proteus species in a Tertiary care center. Infectious disorders – Drug targets 2018; 18: 68 -71
11. Baliga Shrikala, Murphy Christina, Sharon Leesha, Shenoy Suchitra, Biranthabail Dhanashree, Weltman Helena, Miller Steve, Ramasamy Ranjan, Shah Jyotsna .Rapid method for detecting and differentiating Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex and non-tuberculous mycobacteria in sputum by fluorescence in situ hybridization with DNA probes. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2018, 75:1-7
12. Rakshita Maskeri, Animesh Jain, Sheetal Ullal, Damodar Shenoy, Suchitra Shenoy, Sharada Rai Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) Regarding Malaria and its Prevention among Patients with Suspected Malaria in Mangaluru IJPHRD 2018; 9(9): 271-76
13. Mallya L, Shenoy R, Mala K, Shenoy S. Evaluation of the antimicrobial efficacy of 20% Punica granatum, 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate, and 2.5% sodium hypochlorite used alone or in combinations against Enterococcus faecalis: An in-vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2019;22:367-70
14. Boppe Appalaraju, Sujata Baveja, Shrikala Baliga, Suchitra Shenoy, Renu Bhardwaj, Vaishali Kongre, Gogi Suresh Dattatraya, Tapan Dhole, Binita Verma, D N Mukherjee, Shalini Gupta, Priyadarshini Shanmugam, Jyoti Iravane, Sudhi Ranjan Mishra, Purabi Barman, Shimpi Chopra, Meenakshi Hariharan, Rajendra Surpam, Rana Pratap, Prashant Joshi, Hemant Khande, Ashish Mane, Rishi Jain, Sachin Bhagwat, In vitro activity of a novel antibacterial agent, levonadifloxacin, against clinical isolates collected in a prospective, multicentre surveillance study in India during 2016–18, Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, , dkz493, https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkz493
15. Mithileshkumar Jha, Suchitra Shenoy M, Sevitha Bhat. Evaluating minimum inhibitory concentration values of levofloxacin and azithromycin on Hemophilus influenza IJPHRD 2019; 10(11): 2746 – 49
1. Suchitra Shenoy M, Saldanha Dominic. Essential Microbiology for Nurses. 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition , 2007, 2010, 2019 Emmess Medical Publishers, Bangalore ISBN 9788191946441, ISBN 978-9386006-84-4
2. Suchitra Shenoy M, Saldanha Dominic. Text Book of Microbiology for Physiotherapy students. 1st edition, 2008, Emmess Medical Publishers, Bangalore ISBN 9788190560556
CHAPTER IN BOOKS:
1. Pinto J, Shenoy M, Girisha B S, Suchitra Shenoy. Chapter: Fungal infections in Humans. In: Frontier's in fungal ecology, diversity and metabolites. I K Publishing house Pvt Ltd. New Delhi and Bangalore, 2009 ISBN 9788189866914
2. Shenoy MM, Shenoy Suchitra. Chapter: Non Dermatophytic Onychomycosis. In: Nail and Its Disorders. First edition, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd., New Delhi, 2013 ISBN 9789350904602
3. Shenoy MM, Shenoy Suchitra. Chapter: Superficial fungal infections. In IADVL Text Book of Dermatology. Fourth Edition, Bhalani Publishing House, Delhi, 2015 ISBN 9789381496282