CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Sumesh T Rao is Professor and also a Consultant Anaesthesiologist at the Department of Anaesthesiology, KMC Hospital, Mangalore.
He teaches both undergraduate and postgraduate students. He is also a research guide and an examiner for the postgraduates.
• Assists in the implementation of institutional and departmental policies and protocols; teaching programs and lesson plans of the department.
• Plays an active role in the Hospital Quality Management Program.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Anaesthesiology||Seventh and eighth semester MBBS|
|Diploma in Anaesthesia|
|MD in Anaesthesia|
|Anaesthesiology for Dental Students|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MBBS||T D Medical College, Alleppey, Kerala||1998|
|Diploma & MD in Anaesthesiology||Govt. Medical College, Trivandrum.||2003-2004 June|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||Professor||21/09/2020 - till date|
|Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||Associate Professor||22-June-2017 - 20-September-2020|
|Jazan University, Gizan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia||Associate Professor & Head of the Department||29-April-2014 to June 2017|
|Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||Associate Professor||19-August-2009 to 23-April-2014|
|Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||Assistant Professor||19-August-2004 to 18-August-2009|
|T D Medical College, Alleppey, Kerala||Tutor||Taught theory and practical classes in Anatomy to 1st Semester MBBS students.||11 months|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Paediatric, Obstetric, Orthopedic and Head-and-Neck surgery Anaesthesia • Pain and Palliative Care • Continual improvement of quality.
Area of Expertise
Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care, Pain Management, Palliative Care, Healthcare Quality Management, Accreditation
Area of Research
Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care, Pain Management, Palliative Care
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
• Member of IMA (Indian Medical Association) since 2003
• Member of ISA (Indian Society Of Anaesthesiology) since 2001
• Member of IAPC (Indian Association of Palliative Care) since 2007
• Member of AOA (Association of Obstetric Anaesthesiologists of India) since 2018
• Member of AORA (Association of Regional Anaesthesiologists of India) since 2018
Top 5 recent publications of Dr. Sumesh T Rao :
1. Rao S, Misquith J. and Ribeiro K. (2019). Laryngospasm: Prevention Better than Cure. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10(10), p.194.
2. Upadya M, and Rao S. (2018). Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, 62(9), p.675.
3. S Rao P, T Rao S. (2014). Textbook of Pathology & Genetics for Nursing.. 2nd ed. Emmess Medical Publishers. ISBN 9788190746328
4. Rao P, Saha, D, T Rao S. (2013). Awareness On Blood Donation Among The Nursing Staff. International Journal of Advanced Research, I (7), pp.610-616.
5. Rao S T, Upadya M, Narendrakumar, D. and Deepa T. (2011). Comparative Study of Anti - Emetic Efficacy of Palonosetron with Ondansetron And Metoclopramide. Indian Journal of Applied Research, 3(10), pp.1-3.
6. Rao S T, Wali M, Sachan Vand Upadya, M. (2012). Comparison of Post-Operative Analgesic Effects of Pre-Operative Pregabalin with Diclofenac in Head and Neck Surgery. International Journal of Scientific Research, 2(8), pp.319-322.
ICMR Projects: 1. Intravenous Morphine Infusion for relief of Acute Postoperative Pain – Dr Priya Sahai 2. Procalcitonin as a marker for respiratory infections in the ICU – Dr Pradhum Ram Clinical Audit: 1. Postoperative Pain Relief in the PACU – Dr Jayanth Gowda