The Department of Surgery is well engaged in teaching activities pertaining to undergraduate medical courses as well as postgraduate training in surgery. The 30-member strong teaching team conducts theory classes, seminars, practical clinical teaching and operative surgery training using audiovisual and IT gadgets. The department has acquired computers, handy cam, and digital cameras for recording clinical meeting and also an endo trainer for imparting basic laparoscopic skills.
The Master of Surgery postgraduate course was started in March 1962 under the leadership of Late. Prof. M. P. Pai. This was an achievement because:
- It was the very first PG Course that was started in the State of Karnataka
- The College was at that time only 9 years old but was recognized by the Indian & British Medical Council.
From March 1964 onwards – well trained general surgeons have been sent forth year after year to earn a good standing in society and the medical fraternity as efficient teachers, competent surgeons & super specialists, all of whom have been keeping the banner of KMC aloft and flying both in India & abroad.
The department provides a comprehensive spectrum of services, tailored towards accurate diagnosis and management of all surgical conditions in an inpatient as well as outpatient setting. An increasing proportion of procedures are now performed in our ambulatory surgery centre where suitable patients are not required to be admitted to the hospital following their operation and can be discharged on the same day (Day Care).
A variety of surgical procedures are carried out at the Department of General Surgery. These include operations on breast, thyroid, hernia, salivary glands, gastrointestinal tract, liver, pancreas and spleen. The department also handles all the surgical emergencies and abdominal trauma. The consultants are highly skilled and experienced and are supported by a dedicated team of junior staff. The operation theatres are well equipped with most modern instruments like Harmonic scalpel, Ligasure etc.
The department is one of the first to start laparoscopic surgery, commonly known as “Keyhole surgery”. Hundreds of procedures have been carried out with excellent results. It is endowed with modern equipment like 3 Chip Camera, High-Resolution Monitor and laparoscopic Harmonic Scalpel and Ligasure which makes surgery simple and safe.
This department is spread over in three hospitals – Govt. Wenlock Hospital, KMC Hospital Attavar, KMC Hospital Ambedkar Circle.
- Oldest private medical school in the country
- First private medical school to start surgical training program in India
- First surgical department in a private medical school to conduct CME program
- 8 surgical units distributed in both Government aided hospital and private hospital establishment
- Students of both national and International genera
- Strong alumni presence in varied fields, both in the country and abroad
- First to perform open-heart surgery in Mangalore.