CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts theory classes on clinical teaching II, Geriatric nursing and medical surgical nursing for Undergraduate, MSc Nursing and Post Basic diploma students.
- Class coordinator for 4th semester BSc student
- Conducts class orientation program.
- Subject Coordinator for III Year BSc - Medical Surgical Nursing II, Clinical Nursing II Post Basic Diploma in critical care nursing
- Sets question papers for sessional and university exams
- Evaluates answer sheets and assignments.
- Provides clinical supervision to the students.
- Sensitizes students and staff nurses about evidence-based practice.
- Assists students in conducting projects.
- Teaching UG and PG students
- Teacher Guardian for BSc Nursing students
- Prepares clinical rotation and internal assessment plan
- Provides health education in the diabetic clinic at Kasturba Hospital Manipal
- Responsible for departmental CNE
Mrs. Janet Alva is Assistant Professor in the Department of Medical Surgical Nursing.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Medical Surgical Nursing||Third Year BSc Nursing|
|Advanced Pathophysiology and Advanced Pharmacology relevant to critical care||First Year NPCC|
|Clinical Specialty - I (Medical Surgical Nursing)||First Year MSc Nursing|
|Nurse Practitioner in critical care||Critical Care Nursing I|
|Clinical Specialty (Neuroscience)||Second year MSc Nursing|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MSc Nursing (Master of science in nursing)||Cardiovascular &Thoracic Nursing||Manipal College of Nursing Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2010|
|PCBSc Nursing(Post Certificate Bachelor Degree in Nursing)||Nursing||Manipal College of Nursing Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2007|
|GNM General Nursing and Midwifery Nursing)||Nursing||Manipal School of Nursing, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||1993|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal||Assistant Professor||April 2012 till date|
|Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal||Lecturer||August 2010 to March 2012|
|Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal||Assistant Lecturer||August 2007 to July 2008|
|Kasturba Hospital Manipal||Staff Nurse||December 1993 to July 2005|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Cardiovascular Thoracic Nursing, Microbiology, Fundamentals of Nursing Critical Care Nursing, Nursing Research
Area of Expertise
Critical Care Nursing, Cardiovascular Thoracic Nursing, dialysis and renal transplant
Area of Research
Emergency nursing, Cardiovascular, transcultural nursing, Nursing Audit, Community and School
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Registered member of Karnataka Nursing Council (27023)
- Life time member of Trained Nurses’ Association of India
- Life member of ONAI (Oncology Nurses Association of India)
- Member of Sigma Nursing
- ACLS and BLS Care provider
- Secured First prize for the Innovation held during the Innovation Day on 19/12/2016 for the students and Faculty of MAHE, Manipal
- Secured consolation prize for the Innovation held during the Innovation Day on 19/12/2015 for the students and Faculty of MAHE, Manipal
- Co-PI IN ICMR grant project titled “Impact of customized nutritional package on Macro and Micro Nutrients (MAMN) in wound healing among wounded patients of Kasturba Hospital Manipal”
- PI in ICMR grant project titled “Capacity Building Program on Integrated Nursing Care (PINC) of Organophosphate Poisoning patients in a tertiary care hospital - A Non-Randomized Control Trial.
“Healthcare utilization pattern and barriers perceived by women for under-utilization of healthcare services: A cross-sectional survey.
International Journal of Medicine. Volume 28, Issue 10. 6207-6214.
“Methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection: Knowledge, preventive practices and colonization among healthcare professionals of surgical units”
Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. 10(12):587
Knowledge and Practice of Mothers of Under-Five Children on Worm Infestation in Rural Community in Dakshina Kannada District
International Journal of Nursing Education, Volume : 8, Issue : 1(page 151-155)
“Perception of the staff nurses regarding Caring patients from different culture “
The Journal of Nursing Trendz, Volume: 5 Issue: 1 (page 18-22)
Perception of audit process among staff nurses
Nursing Journal of India
Perception of audit process among staff nurses.
Nursing Journal of India, Vol CIII No 5.
Knowledge and attitude of adults on Filariasis and Mass DRUG Administration of Filariasis in view of developing a leaflet
International Journal of Nursing Education
“Knowledge and attitude of adults on Filariasis and Mass DRUG Administration of Filariasis in view of developing a leaflet”
International Journal of Nursing Education Volume 3 Number 2 July – December 2011
Undergraduate - BSc Nursing
Postgraduate - MSc Nursing
I Year & II Year
Postgraduate - NPCC