The Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery is the only hospital in Mangalore which regularly performs cochlear implantation which restores hearing in those with severe hearing loss. We are also the only medical college to provide laser surgeries in ORL-H&N Surgery. We also perform micro-ear surgeries, thyroplasty, microlaryngeal surgeries, endoscopic nasal and ear surgeries as well as head and neck surgery.
- The Cochlear Implant program has derived excellent results and has provided hearing solutions to many patients and supported by a dedicated Audiology-Speech and Language pathology department
- Laryngectomies, conservative laryngeal surgeries, neck dissection and gastric pull ups
- Skull base surgeries including temporal bone resections
- Endoscopic nasal surgeries and removal of tumours. Repertoire includes Csf leak repairs and endoscopic DCR
- Micro ear surgeries which include myringotomy, myringoplasties, mastoid-tympanoplasty, stapedectomy as well as laser stapedectomy and ossiculoplasty, facial nerve decompression and grafting
- Microlaryngeal surgeries and thyroplasty
- Surgeries on the thyroid gland, parotid gland and submandibular gland
- Cold knife tonsillectomy, laser tonsillectomy and endoscopic adenoidectomy
- Weekly voice clinic to provide the best possible personalized care to patients with voice disorders
- Free camps for providing specialised care to the underprivileged population.
About the Area of Study
Otorhinolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) is a speciality in medicine which involves the study of the ears, nose, oral cavity, pharynx, oesophagus, larynx, neck and skull base. This encompasses hearing, speech, swallowing and breathing.
This is the only speciality in Medicine which has been able to restore one of the five senses-hearing, through the surgical procedure of cochlear implantation.