CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists HOD, and works with the members of the department to achieve the departmental and institutional goal
- Presents scientific papers in conferences and publishes articles in reputed journals.
- Supervises and monitors the work of under graduate and post graduate students
- Ensures that students are competent in their academics and clinical practice by taking discussions, demonstrations and effective theory classes.
- Conducts and participates in departmental research activities.
- Is involved with the patient care by treating patients and guiding students for better patient management.
- Course coordinator for “Certificate Program in Modern Endodontic Practice”
- Member of Scientific Committee, and Institutional Ethical Committee, Institution library advisory committee, Member of MCODS, Mangalore, Alumni relations committee
- Members for editorial work committee of the Manipal Journal of Dental Research
Manuel S Thomas teaches undergraduate and postgraduate students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Dental Materials||Second and third year, BDS|
|Conservative Dentistry||Second and third year, BDS|
|Endodontics||Fourth year, part one and two|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MDS (Master of Dental Sciences)||Conservative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2006|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2001|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Associate Professor||2012|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Reader||2010- 2012|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Assistant Professor||2006- 2009|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Clinical Aspect of Dentistry, Patient care
Area of Expertise
Endodontics, Aesthetic Dentistry
Area of Research
Dental caries, Aesthetic dentistry, Root canal disinfection
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
· Elected as the Executive committee member of ISPRP 2018-19, 19-20.
· Reviewer of Indian Journal of Dental Research, Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics, Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry, Archives of Oral Biology, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic Journal, Primary Dental Journal, International Journal of dentistry, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, F1000 research, BMC Oral Health
· Section editor for Conservative dentistry and Endodontic for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry for the year 2012-13
· Executive editor for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry for the year 2013-15.
· Life Member of Indian Dental Association, Dakshina Kannada, 2007; Life Member of Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic, 2005;Life Member of Indian Society of Prosthodontics-Restorative-Periodontics, 2008; Life Member of Conservative and Endodontic Society of Kerala, 2010.
· Conferred with “Good teacher award” for the year 2010 and 2015 and 2020
· Winner of the Highlights 2013 photography competition. The photograph titled “Educate to eradicate” was published in The Lancet Vol. 382 Dec 21/28, 2013.
· Attend CONSEURO 2013 conference, Paris as well as ADAVB, Melbourne workshop, 2016 based on research incentive points received for the articles published.
· Received prize for audio-visual material for the year 2016, 2018
Jury of Guident Dental Academic Excellence Awards-2016-17 had given in recognition of the admirable achievements and outstanding contribution towards research and scientific publications the award of the Most Proactive Jr. Academician of the Year-2016-17- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
Chlorodontia: Minocycline induced staining of permanent dentition
journal of conservative dentistry 2007, 10(3): 89-92.
Effect of saliva contamination and decontamination procedures on the shear bond strength of self-etch dentine bonding systems: an in-vitro study, journal of conservative dentistry
April-June, 2010; Vol 13(2): 71-5.
Inter- Appointment flare-up: A review
Kerala Dental Journal 2008; 31(4):35-36.
Comparative evaluation of the accuracy of third generation electronic apex locator (Root ZX) and conventional radiography to determine the working length- An in vivo study
Endodontology 2008; 20(1): 14-21.
Asthma and dental erosion
Kathmandu University medical journal, 2008; 6(23):370-374.
Rehabilitation of gingival architecture by a conservative method: An innovative approach
journal of conservative dentistry 2008; 11:127-131.
Delayed replantation- Can it be a success- A rare case report
Kathmandu University Medical Journal, 2008; 6(24):71-75.
Three rooted mandibular first molar with four canals
Kerala dental journal 2009; 32:147-149.
Management of foreign body aspiration and ingestion in dentistry
Kathmandu University medical journal (2009), Vol. 7, No. 2, issue 26, 165-171.
Three rooted, four canalled mandibular first molar (Radix Entomolaris): Case reports
Kathmandu University medical journal (2009), Vol. 7, No. 3, issue 27, 273-76.
Asthma and dental erosion
Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2008; 6(23):370-374.
Asthma and oral health: a review.
Australian Dental Journal 2010; 5: 128-133.
Prevalence of postoperative pain with respect to tooth vitality and preoperative pain in patients undergoing conventional root canal treatment: a prospective study
ENDO, Endodontic Practice Today 2010; 1:61-67
Etiology of tooth discoloration- a review
Nig Dent J
Medication-Related Tooth Discoloration: A Review.
Effect of storage temperature and heating on the concentration of available chlorine and pH of 2.5% sodium hypochlorite.
Saudi Endod J
. Effect of various dentin disinfection protocols on the bond strength of resin modified glass ionomer restorative material
J Clin Exp Dent
Knowledge, attitude and practices among dentists on the disinfection of dental light curing unit - A cross-sectional study
The study aims at finding out the methods of disinfection of light curing units used in various dental clinics. The study also aims at proving the load of microorganisms present on the tip of these units. Hence the purpose of this study is to adopt methods through which transmission of infections can be prevented.
Root canal treatment
What, why, when and how, Kannada, Arogyavani, 2007.
Kannada, Arogyavani, 2013.