CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists HOD, and works with the members of the department to achieve the departmental and institutional goal
- Attends departmental meetings and gives valuable suggestions in the betterment and smooth functioning of the department and also attends CDEs, conferences, reading the current journals.
- Presents scientific papers in conferences and publishes articles in reputed journals.
- Supervises and monitors the work of under graduate and post graduate students
- Ensures that students are competent in their academics and clinical practice by taking discussions, demonstrations and effective theory classes.
- Conducts and participates in departmental research activities.
- Is involved with the patient care by treating patients and guiding students for better patient management.
Manuel S Thomas teaches undergraduate and postgraduate students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Dental Materials||Second and third year, BDS|
|Conservative Dentistry||Second and third year, BDS|
|Endodontics||Fourth year, part one and two|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MDS (Master of Dental Sciences)||Conservative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2006|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education||2001|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Associate Professor||2012|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Reader||2010- 2012|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Mangalore||Assistant Professor||2006- 2009|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Clinical Aspect of Dentistry, Patient care
Area of Expertise
Endodontics, Aesthetic Dentistry
Area of Research
Patient Care, Infection Control in Dentistry
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Section Editor for Conservative dentistry and Endodontic for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry, 2012-2013
- Executive Editor for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry, 2013-2014.
- Editorial Board Member of World Journal of Stomatology.
- Life Member of Indian Dental Association, Dakshina Kannada, 2007.
- Life Member of Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic, 2005.
- Life Member of Indian Society of Prosthodontics-Restorative-Periodontics, 2008.
- Life Member of Conservative and Endodontic Society of Kerala, 2010.
Chlorodontia: Minocycline induced staining of permanent dentition
journal of conservative dentistry 2007, 10(3): 89-92.
Effect of saliva contamination and decontamination procedures on the shear bond strength of self-etch dentine bonding systems: an in-vitro study, journal of conservative dentistry
April-June, 2010; Vol 13(2): 71-5.
Inter- Appointment flare-up: A review
Kerala Dental Journal 2008; 31(4):35-36.
Comparative evaluation of the accuracy of third generation electronic apex locator (Root ZX) and conventional radiography to determine the working length- An in vivo study
Endodontology 2008; 20(1): 14-21.
Asthma and dental erosion
Kathmandu University medical journal, 2008; 6(23):370-374.
Rehabilitation of gingival architecture by a conservative method: An innovative approach
journal of conservative dentistry 2008; 11:127-131.
Delayed replantation- Can it be a success- A rare case report
Kathmandu University Medical Journal, 2008; 6(24):71-75.
Three rooted mandibular first molar with four canals
Kerala dental journal 2009; 32:147-149.
Management of foreign body aspiration and ingestion in dentistry
Kathmandu University medical journal (2009), Vol. 7, No. 2, issue 26, 165-171.
Three rooted, four canalled mandibular first molar (Radix Entomolaris): Case reports
Kathmandu University medical journal (2009), Vol. 7, No. 3, issue 27, 273-76.
Knowledge, attitude and practices among dentists on the disinfection of dental light curing unit - A cross-sectional study
The study aims at finding out the methods of disinfection of light curing units used in various dental clinics. The study also aims at proving the load of microorganisms present on the tip of these units. Hence the purpose of this study is to adopt methods through which transmission of infections can be prevented.
Root canal treatment
What, why, when and how, Kannada, Arogyavani, 2007.
Kannada, Arogyavani, 2013.