CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaches Plant Biology and Biotechnology, Cell Biology and Recombinant DNA Technology for both UG and PG courses
- Is involved in research on in vitro breeding of plants for biotic and abiotic stress, induction of genetic variability for improved plant secondary metabolites and DNA methylation, metabolomics and bioactive molecules of plants
- External Examiner for the evaluation of PhD thesis as well as the setting of PG question papers for Bharathidasan University, Manonmaniyam Sundaranar University and Vinayaka Missions University
- Co-ordinator, Alumni Centre, SLS, MAHE
A Muthusamy is Professor in the Department of Plant Science, School of Life Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD||Plant tissue culture and in vitro breeding of plants, Induction of somaclonal variations for improved plant secondary metabolites and methylation, metabolomics and bioactive molecules of plants||2002|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences||Associate Professor and Head||Teaching and research||January 2015-Dec 2017|
|Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences||Associate Professor||1st July 2009-Dec 2014|
|School of Life Sciences, MAHE||Assistant Professor||17th July 2006 to 30th June 2009|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. India||Post-Doctoral Fellow||August 2003 to 14th July 2006|
|Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 620 024, TN, India||Senior Research Fellow||Research||February 2002 to February 2003|
|St Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu||Lecturer||Teaching the physiology, cytology, taxonomy genetics and plant breeding to both BSc and MSc students||2001 - 2002|
|Aringar Anna Government Arts College, Namakkal, Tamil Nadu||Guest Lecturer||Teaching the physiology, cytology, taxonomy genetics and plant breeding to both BSc and MSc students||1997 - 1998|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Plant Sciences, Breeding and Biotechnology
Area of Expertise
Plant tissue culture, induction of somaclonal variation and genetic transformation of plants
Area of Research
In vitro breeding for improved agronomical traits, biotic as well as abiotic stress tolerance, DNA methylation & epigenetics, characterization of novel bioactive molecules, plant-microbe interactions and plant disease diagnosis
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Indian Society of Genetics & Plant Breeding (Life Member), NASC Complex, DPS Marg, New Delhi – 110 012, India.
- Environmental Mutagen Society of India (Life Member), NEERI, Nagpur – 440 020. India
- Society of Biological Chemists (India) (Life Member), IISC, Bangalore
- Swamy Botanical Club (Life Member), Department of Plant Science, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 24. Tamil Nadu. India.
- Society for Mitochondrial Research and Medicine (Life Member), Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, Hyderabad - 500007
- International Cotton Genome Initiative [ICGI]
Ad hoc reviewer for manuscripts submitted to the Journals (International & National):
Plant Biotechnology Journal, J. Photoch & Photobiol – B, Aust. J. of Crop Sci, Biologia, J. Plant Biochem. & Biotech., In vitro Cell Dev Biol – Plant, J. Forestry Res., Molecular Biotech., Scientia Horticulturae, Comptes rendus Biologies, Acta Physiol Plant., PNAS-India. Sec.B: Biol. Sci., J. Tropical Agriculture, Indian J Agric. Sciences, Journal of Swamy Botanical Club, J Environ Biol., Archives of Agron & Soil Science, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, Brazilian Archives of Biol. & Tech., Biocatalysis & Agric. Biotech. & Plant Growth Regulation.
External Examiner: Evaluation of PhD thesis as well as setting PG Question papers for University of Madras, Bharathidasan University, Manonmaniyam Sundaranar University, Periyar University, Bharathiyar University, Mother Teresa Women’s University, Sathyabama University, Tamil University, Karpagam University, and Vinayaka Missions University since 2006.
Awards and Honors:
- Kundapur Mohan and Lata Bhandarkars’ merit-cum-means Scholarship for PhD candidate for the year 2018 based on our Publication.
- Kundapur Mohan and Lata Bhandarkars’ merit-cum-means Scholarship for PhD candidate for the year 2017 based on our Publication.
- First prize for our project model entitled “Lasers in Agriculture: A Powerful Tool for Improved Seed Germination and Crop Productivity” for Agriculture category during Anveshan Student Research Convention, South Zone held at Tumkur University, Tumkur, Karnataka on February 14-15, 2017.
- First prize for the Best Paper presentation (Oral) with cash Rs. 5000/- for our paper “Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture and Horticulture Crops – an overview” at YouthReady for Climate Change Transformation” program organized by Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh during 28 & 29th July 2015.
- Best Paper presentation award (Oral) for our paper at National Symposium on Innovative and Modern Technologies for Agricultural Productivity, Food Security and Environmental Management, organized by Society for Applied Biotechnology during 22-23rd July 2011.
- 2nd Prize in Oral Presentation of the paper at ISPP Zonal Conference on Plant Physiology & Crop Improvement at SBST, VIT University, Vellore, TN on 22nd October 2010
- Overseas Travel and Perdiem Award: The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), and Indian National Science Academy [INSA), Govt. of India, New Delhi were awarded Full Travel Grant and Perdiem respectively for the participation and presentation of a paper at 3rd International Cotton Genome Initiative [ICGI] Workshop held at Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China during 3-6th June 2002.
- Research Associate (CSIR): Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi – 110 067 (2004-2006)
- Senior Research Fellow (CSIR) (Extended): Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 620024. Tamil Nadu (2002-2003)
Request for wide circulation
Current Science Vol 84(10): 1283, 25th May 2003. It is a request for all universities/research institutes/colleges for wide circulation of training programs, conferences, seminar and symposium
The Future of Postdocs
Current Science Vol 89(2), Pg 239 – 240, 25th July 2005. Master programs and research facilities in different universities and research institutes, and the opportunities for PhD degree holder and engaging talented PhD in India for our S and T improvement.
Variations in seed protein content of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L) mutant lines by in vivo and in vitro mutagenesis
2013-01-01 N Jayabalan
2013, J Environ Biol Vol 34(1).
Influence of Helium-Neon laser irradiation on seed germination in vitro and physio-biochemical characters in seedlings of brinjal (Solanum melongena L) var Mattu Gulla
2012-01-01 Pratibha PK Vijendra Prabhu Mahato KK Vidhu SB
2012, Photochem. Photobiol, Vol 88(5), Pg 1227–1235.
In vitro induction of mutation in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L) and isolation of mutants with improved yield and fibre characters
2011-01-01 Narayanasamy Jayabalan
2011, Acta Physiol, Plant, Vol 33(5), Pg 1793–1801.
Induced floral variations in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L)
2011-01-01 Narayanasamy Jayabalan
2011, Plant Mutation Reports, Vol 2(3), Pg 12-17.
Ovule culture of cotton with in vitro mutagenesis, Isolation of mutant lines for improved oil, lipid content and fatty acid compositions
2011-01-01 N Jayabalan
2011, J SWAMY BOT – CL, Vol 27, Pg 83-92.
Salt stress alleviation in transgenic Vigna mungo L Hepper (blackgram) by overexpression of the glyoxalase I gene using a novel Cestrum yellow leaf curling virus (CmYLCV) promoter
2008, Molecular Breeding, Vol 22(2), Pg 169-181.
Enhanced somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L) with in vitro mutagenesis
2007-01-01 K Vasanth D Sivasankari BR Chandrasekar N Jayabalan
2007, Biol Plant, Vol 51(3), Pg 430-435.
Quantitative Analysis of Phyllanthus amarus and Phyllanthus urinaria for Bioactive Molecules using High-Pressure Liquid Chromatography and Liquid Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry
2017-02-02 Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci. (DOI: 10.1007/s40011-017-0839-y)
Muthusamy A, ER. Sanjay, HN. Nagendra Prasad, M. Radhakrishna Rao, B. Manjunath Joshi, S. Padmalatha Rai, K. Satyamoorthy
Impact of precursors and plant growth regulator on in vitro growth, bioactive lignans and antioxidant content of Phyllanthus species
2016-03-12 In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Plant. 52 (6):598–607. DOI: 10.1007/s11627-016-9790-5.
Annamalai Muthusamy, HN Nagendra Prasad, ER Sanjay, M Radhakrishna Rao and K Satyamoorthy
Responses of He-Ne Laser Irradiation on Agronomical Characters and Chlorogenic Acid Content of Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) var. Mattu Gulla
Surendra Babu P. Swathy, Kodsara Ramachandra Kiran, Madhura S. Rao, Krishna Kishore Mahato, Mattu Radhakrishna Rao, Kapaettu Satyamoorthy, Annamalai Muthusamy
Radiation and chemical mutagen induced somaclonal variations through in vitro organogenesis of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.)
2014-24-04 International Journal of Radiation Biology. 90(12): 1229-1239.
Annamalai Muthusamy and Narayanasamy Jayabalan
Establishment of an in vitro plantlet regeneration protocols for unique varieties of brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) var. Mattu Gulla and Perampalli Gulla
2013-27-11 Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 52(1): 80-88.
Muthusamy A, KS Vidya, PK Pratibha, M Radhakrishna Rao, SB Vidhu, KP Guruprasad, U Raghavendra, PM Gopinath & K Satyamoorthy
Full Publications List
Influence of He-Ne Laser on Hormones, DNA Methylation, Metabolomics and Bioactive Molecules in Brinjal var. Matta Gulla
2013-01-01 Ms Swathy P S
Implications of Plant-Microbe Interactions on Salinity Stress Responses in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.)
2015-11-05 Mr. Kiran K.R
Screening and Identification of Fungal and Bacterial Pathogens in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) var. Mattu Gulla
2019-10-01 Ms. Arya K
Annamalai Muthusamy, Raviraj Devkar and Shruthi Balakrishnan. 2016. Impact of Climate Change on Agricultural and Horticultural Crops – an over view. In: Climate Change - Combating through Science and Technology, (ed.) Kinhal GA, Dharni AK, Upadhyay AP & Dugaya D., Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal -462003, and M/s Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, Publishers & Distributors, Dehra Dun -248001, India. Pp. 245-255
Muthusamy, A., Mariappan, P. and Jayabalan, N. 2009. Molecular markers in assessing medicinal plant diversity. In: Diversity of Plants – A Molecular Approach, S John Britto (Ed.), The Rapinat Herbarium, St. Joseph’s College (Autonomous), Tiruchirappalli – 620 002. pp. 36-88.
Annamalai Muthusamy, Surendrabjabu P. Swathy, Kodsara Ramachandra Kiran. 2017. Biotechnological interventions in Litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) for the improvement of fruit quality and post-harvest storage. In: The Lychee Biotechnology, Manoj Kumar, Vivek Kumar, and Ajit Varma (Eds), Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2017. Pp. 101-136. DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-3644-6_4.