Dr BS Satish Rao
Director - Manipal School of Life Sciences
Department of Radiation Biology and Toxicology
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dr. Satish Rao B S is the Director at Manipal School of Life Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal..
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Radiation Biology & Toxicology, School of Life Sciences, MAHE, Manipal||Professor and Head||Research & Teaching||Nov. 2007 – Till Date|
|Department of Radiation Biology & Toxicology, School of Life Sciences, MAHE, Manipal||HOD (I/c) & Associate Professor||Oct 2006 – Nov. 2007|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India||Associate Professor of Radiobiology||Aug 2001- Oct. 2006|
|Sylvester Cancer Center, Division of Experimental Therapeutics, Uni. of Miami School of Medicine, Fl 33136, USA.||Visiting Faculty||June – Aug, 2001|
|Department of Medicine / Clinical Immunology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78284-7874, USA.||Visiting Research Scholar||July 2000 – June 2001|
|Division of Life Sciences, Research Reactor Institute, Kyoto University, Kumatori-cho, Sennan-gun, Osaka 590-0494, JAPAN.||Visiting Scientist||June 1999 - May 2000|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India||Assistant Professor of Radiobiology||June 1994 -July 2001|
|Institute fur Medizinische Strahlenbiologie Unversitatsklinikum Essen, Germany||Guest investigator||Sept.1993 - Jan. 1994|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India||Lecturer in Radiobiology||Jan. 1993 - Aug. 1993|
|Department of Radiobiology, KMC., Manipal, India||Junior Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow||Nov.1987 - Dec. 1993|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Radiation biology & toxicology.
Area of Expertise
Cell Culture, Genotoxicity, Drug Delivery, Anticancer drug Screening, Molecular Radiobiology, Radiation Biodosimetry, Radiosensitization & Radioprotection, Heavy metal toxicology, Natural products
Area of Research
Radiation Biology & Experimental Oncology, Toxicology, Nanotechnology & Targeted drug delivery
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND CONTRIBUTIONS:
- International Society for Mangiferin Research (Life member, Vice-general Secretary)
- Indian Society for Radiation Biologists (Life Member & Ex. Executive Member)
- Indian Society of Human Genetics (Life Member)
- Society for Free Radical Research, India (Life Member)
- Indian Association for Hyperthermic Oncology and Medicine (Member)
- Society for Biological Chemistry (Life Member)
- Society for Radiation Research, India (Full member)
Awards and Honors:
- 'INSA Teachers Award 2017' by Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi on 29th December 2017 at INSA Anniversary General Meeting at Pune.
- Paper selected for ASTRO CME for CREDIT: Predictive and prognostic significance of glutathione levels and DNA damage in cervix cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy (Int J of Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2010 ) Oct 1;78(2):343-9 (doi:10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.08.014)
- International Travel grant support from CCSTDS, Govt. of India & organizers of the 1st International Symposium on Mangiferin held at Nanning, China – Participation as an International Expert (2009)
- International Public Health Summer Institute Training - Sponsorship by Sparkman Center for Global Health, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA (7th July to 1st August 2008)
- Visiting Research Fellow: The University of New South Wales, Australia, for three years 1st March 2008 -2011.
- NIH’s International training and Research in Environmental and Occupational Health (ITREOH) Fogarty Program Grant to attend workshop on Health Effects on Pesticides, Colombo, Sri Lanka (Sept. 5- 9, 2005).
- Distinguished Alumni Award by Kasturba Medical College Manipal, MAHE, 2004.
- Honor role of the Journal of Radiation Research Terasima Award- Best Paper Award for the paper entitled “DNA-PK: the major target for wortmannin-mediated radiosensitization by the inhibition of DSB repair via NHEJ pathway. J. Radiat. Res. 44 (2003) 151-159; by the Japanese Journal of Radiation Research for the year 2003 (Second-author).
- UICC International Cancer Technology Transfer Fellowships (ICRETT) & Visiting faculty, Sylvester Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33136, USA (June – Aug 2002).
- VISITING RESEARCH SCHOLAR, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas, USA (July 2000 – June 2001).
- VISITING SCIENTIST, Division of Life Sciences, Research Reactor Institute, Kyoto University, Osaka., JAPAN (June 1999 – May 2000).
- YOUNG SCIENTIST TRAVEL GRANT award by COSTED-IBN to attend the first Asian Society for Hyperthermic Oncology, Fukuoka, Japan (1996).
- Fellow of Academy of General Education, Manipal (1994)
- YOUNG SCIENTIST TRAVEL GRANT European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology to attend 12th ESHO conference at Bergen, Norway (1991).
- Late Sri NC Narasimha Iyengar and Smt Ranganayakamma, Sri. NC Krishnamurthy, Smt. Chikkamma & Rukkamma Memorial CASH PRIZE (Post graduate level)
- Obtained Miss H K Shamantharathna GOLD MEDAL (Post graduate level)
- Obtained The Nagar Manja Udupa GOLD MEDAL (Post graduate level)
- Secured FIRST RANK in post-graduation level
A Polymeric temozolomide nanocomposite against orthotopic glioblastoma xenograft: tumor-specific homing directed by nestin
Nanoscale. Aug 2017; 3; 9(30):10919-10932. doi: 10.1039/c7nr00305f. (Impact factor: 7.367)
Suma Prabhu, Jayant Sastri Goda, Srinivas Mutalik, Bhabani Shankar Mohanty, Pradip Chaudhari, Sharada Rai, Nayanabhirama Udupa and Bola Sadashiva Satish Rao
Polymorphisms in double strand break repair related genes influence radiosensitivity phenotype in lymphocytes from healthy individuals
DNA Repair. April 2016; 40:27–34. Impact Factor: 3.929
Kamalesh Dattaram Mumbrekar, Goutham Hassan Venkatesh, Vadhiraja Bejadi Manjunath, Satish Bola Sadashiva Rao
Influence of double-strand break repair on radiation therapy-induced acute skin reactions in breast cancer patients
International Journal of Radiation Oncology• Biology • Physics. March 2014; 88(3): 671-676. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.11.218. Impact Factor: 4.495
Mumbrekar KD, Fernandes DJ, Goutham HV, Sharan K, Vadhiraja BM, Satyamoorthy K, Bola Sadashiva SR
DNA double-strand break analysis by γ-H2AX foci: a useful method for determining the overreactors to radiation-induced acute reactions among head-and-neck cancer patients
2012-05-12 International Journal of Radiation Oncology• Biology • Physics. December 2012; 84(5):e607-612. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2012.06.041. Impact Factor: 4.495
Goutham HV, Mumbrekar KD, Vadhiraja BM, Fernandes DJ, Sharan K, Kanive Parashiva G, Kapaettu S, Bola Sadashiva SR
Formulation of plumbagin loaded long circulating pegylated liposomes: in vivo evaluation in C57BL/6J mice bearing B16F1 melanoma
Drug Delivery. September-October 2011; 18(7):511-522. doi:10.3109/10717544.2011. 595840. Impact Factor: 4.843
Sunil Kumar MR, Aithal BK, Udupa N, Reddy MS, Raakesh V, Murthy RS, Raju DP, Rao BS
Full Publications List
Papers published in conference proceedings (peer reviewed)
<a href="/content/dam/manipal/mu/sols/images/Docuement/Rao_conference-procedings.pdf" >For Full List Click here</a>