CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Vidhu Sankar Babu is Additional Professor at the Department of Plant Sciences, Manipal School of Life Sciences.
She is :
Ø Teaching, Research and Grant writing
Ø Cultural Co-ordinator SOLS
Ø Member of Grievance Redressal Committee
Ø Member of the Anti-ragging Committee
Ø Teacher Guardian
Ø Reviewer for School’s Newsletter- ‘Vivus’
Ø Training students for science day, workshop, conference and related activities
Ø Team member of MAHE vision 2020 -Devising strategies to transform MAHE as a global frontrunner in Research and Education.
She won the Best Teacher Award at School of Life Sciences in the academic year 2013-2014.
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD||Botany||Department of Botany, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram||2006|
|Qualified CSIR UGC (NET) JRF and SRF||Life Sciences||June 2000|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|School of Life Sciences||Associate Professor||2016- Present|
|School of Life Sciences||Assistant Professor||2008 - 2016|
|SCMS institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development (SIBB R and D), South Kalamassery, Cochin, Kerala||Scientist B||2007 - 2008|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Plant Biotechnology, Protoplasting, Plant Physiology, Plant Metabolomics ,Plant Biodiversity tracking & conservation
Area of Expertise
Plant Ecology, Plant Taxonomy, Plant Cytogenetics, Plant Molecular Biology, Plant Biotechnology, Phytochemistry
Area of Research
Plant Biodiversity and Conservation (Notably Rare , Endemic , Endangered, Threatened Orchids in Western Ghats and its spill over zones) Plant Interactomes, Plant Phenology (Behavioural studies) and influencing factors Physiological Responses of Plants towards Climate change
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
Awards and Honors:
- National Eligibility Test of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research - University Grants Commission (India) in June 2000 in Life Sciences for eligibility for lectureship and fellowship.
- Junior Research Fellowship (Until April 2003) and Senior Research Fellowship (From May 2003-April 2006) from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India.
- Fast Track Young Scientist Grant from Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST, Government of India- 2012-2015.
- Seed Money from Manipal Multidisciplinary Development and Research Centre jointly with Manipal Centre for European Studies under the theme “Climate Change” (Duration 1.5 years) 1st May 2010-October 2011 “Assessment of Photosynthetic Efficiency in Orchids to Manage Greenhouse Effects” [MLSC-MCOPS]
- Selected for Refresher course in Plant Taxonomy from December 6th to December 10th, 2010 at Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Pacha, Palode, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
- Selected for C-CAMP hands-on Basic Flow Cytometry Course from December 17th -21st, 2009 at National Centre for Biological Sciences, TIFR, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Best Paper Presentation Award at the National Symposium on Innovative and Modern Technologies for Agricultural Productivity, Food Security and Environmental Management held at Saffron Boutique Hotel, Mangalore, Karnataka during July 22-23, 2011 for the paper entitled “Spathoglottis plicata, An orchid with superior decarboxylation efficiency.”
- Best Oral Presentation Award on Eighth National Symposium “Noni for Sustainable Wellness” organized by International Society for Noni Science and World Noni Research Foundation held at GKVK Campus, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka on 29th and 30th October , 2013 for the paper entitled “Time Reliant Functional Assays substantiate Chemopreventive & Radioprotective prospective of Morinda citrifolia.L (Noni) Fruit Extract”
- Best Teacher Award at School of Life Sciences in the Academic Year 2013-2014
- Best Oral Presentation Award for the presentation of the paper entitled "Metabolomics of Morinda citrifolia Infructescence adds novel insights on its Medicinal properties" at Second World Noni Congress entitled "Noni and Medicinal Plants for Inclusive Growth and Wellness" conducted on 19-21st March 2016 jointly organized by International Society for Noni Science, World Noni Research Foundation, Noni Biotech, Chennai and Department of Biotechnology, SRM University, Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu. (Oral)
- Science and Engineering Research Board Scheme Extra Mural Research project sanctioned for - Project entitled "Modulation of ‘Moscatilin’ Biosynthetic Pathway in Dendrobium ovatum" as Principal Investigator (Dec 2016-Dec 2019).
Full Publications List
Asymbiotic hypergeneration of protocorm like bodies – An efficient and simple micropropagation strategy for conserving the Therapeutic ornamental Dendrobium ovatum
2015-15-12 Vasudeep Shetty Abitha Thomas Ipsita Pujari
International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, 6(2): 8009-8015
Influence of Helium-Neon Laser Irradiation on Seed Germination in vitro and Physico Biochemical Characters in Seedlings of Brinjal
2012-01-01 Muthusamy A Pratibha PK Vijendra Prabhu Mahato K K
2012, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 88: 1227-1235 Rapid Seed germination in brinjal using laser.
Relative cytotoxic efficacy of Noni fruit extracts and scopoletin on a preponderant panel of human tumour cell lines
2011, Intl Journal of Noni Research, 6: 9-11.
Ephedrine accumulation in callus cultures of Sida cordifolia Linn, an important medicinal plant
2009-01-01 Narasimhan S Nair SS Nair GM
2009, International Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, 5: 433-437.
Rapid detection and characterization of Chikungunya virus in febrile patients of Kerala, India by RT-PCR
2008-01-01 Joseph AY Dev SS Gopalakrishnapai J Harish M
2008, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 46: 573-578.
Enhanced accumulation of triterpenoids and flavonoids in cell suspension cultures of Azadirachta indica (A. Juss) with an extended stationary phase
2008-01-01 Narasimhan S Nair GM
2008, Indian Journal of Biotechnology. Formulated strategies and successfully achieved enhancement by extending the stationary phase of the cells.
Bioproduction of Azadirachtin-A, Nimbin and Salannin in callus and cell suspension cultures of Neem (Azadirachta indica A Juss)”,
2006-01-01 Narasimhan S Nair GM
2006, Current Science, 91: 22-24 Quantified accumulation of secondary metabolites in cultured cells of Neem.
Coscinium fenestratum (Gaertn) Colebr a critically endangered medicinal liana
2006-01-01 Narasimhan S Nair G M
2006, J Swamy Botany, 23:17-30 A review of the endangered medicinal liana.
Establishment of an in vitro plantlet regeneration protocols for unique varieties of brinjal (Solanum melongena L) var Mattu Gulla and Perampalli Gulla
2013-01-01 Muthusamy A K S Vidya PK Pratibha M Radhakrishna Rao
2013, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology Study to devise a tissue culture Protocol.
Manipal Manual for Biotechnologists
2012, Manipal University Press A chapter on basics of Plant tissue culture.
Low Intraspecific Diversity Suggesting Genetic Drift in Gloriosa superba L. (Liliaceae) in Konkan Coast of Karnataka, India
Annals of Plant Sciences 01/; 2(12).
Dendrobium protoplasts co culture promotes phytochemical assemblage in vitro
2016-11-11 Abitha Thomas Ipsita Pujari Vasudeep Shetty Manjunath B. Joshi Padmalatha S. Rai Kapaettu Satyamoorthy
Protoplasma, doi:10.1007/s00709-016-1043-2 (Article in Press)
Standardisation of the Molecular Diversity in Dendrobium Plant (hybrid vs D ovatum)
2013, BSc project. Molecular diversity in Dendrobium species were assessed with DNA barcoding method. Molecular diversity in Dendrobium species were assessed with DNA barcoding method.
Identification of Photosynthetic Diversity in Orchids using Anatomical and Biochemical Parameters
2009, VI Semester BSc Biotechnology Project. The study was able to identify the predominant decarboxylating enzyme present in ten selected orchids. Based on the study, it was possible to assign sub-types to plants as PEPCK, NADP ME or NAD ME types.
Molecular Characterization of ACT-1 gene from Stevia rebaudiana
(M.Sc. Project) (December, 2007 - March, 2008). Bertoni: SCMS Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development, South Kalamassery, COCHIN, Kerala
Identification of Polymorphisms in Gloriosa superba population using Molecular markers (RAPD and AFLP) and bioproduction of Colchicine using in vitro strategies.
(M.Sc. Project) Register Number 071702020 (October 2008-July 2009, II year M.Sc. Medical Biotechnology project).
Relative Assessment of Photosynthetic Efficiency in Tropical Orchids Using Portable Photosynthesis Measuring System.
(M.Sc project 2012) Register Number: 101703004
Understanding Bioefficacy Of Morinda Citrifolia Fruit On Cancer Cell Lines
[M.Sc. project] 2011 (Reg. no. 09014703005)
Standardization of chromosome banding techniques in two species of Dendrobium , from Western Ghats .
M.Sc. Student from Jammu University- Jan 2014
To Unravel the Biodiversity of Dendrobium in Western Ghats and their Conservation for ‘Moscatilin’
Structured Ph.D Programme
Elicitor mediated modulation of Candidate genes involved in biosynthesis of Bibenzyl derivatives through hairy roots of Dendrobium ovatum
Structured Ph.D Programme 2013, Ongoing
Ipsita Pujari, Abitha Thomas and Vidhu Sankar Babu (2018) Phytochemistry of Lipids and Pigments in Fruits and Vegetables. Phytochemistry of Fruits and Vegetables, Chapter-1, Brillion Publishing, ISBN: 978-93-874450-00.