CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides the research students.
- Looks after library administration and organisation.
- Manages subscriptions of journals, online journals, online databases and other e-resources.
- Assists students, faculty members and research scholars in identifying potential information sources.
- Regularly updates information sources to identify materials to meet user needs and enrich the library's collections.
- Prepares statistical reports of library operations and use.
- Continuously develops a strong knowledge of the library collection and materials, its strengths and weaknesses and how to find items using the best access methods assigned areas.
- Regularly updates and develops library site and ERMSS software.
- Coordinates Inter library loan with DELNET and other libraries.
- Identifies and explores useful online databases for health sciences community.
- Assists the researchers to search for scientific information.
Mahabaleshwara Rao is Associate Professor in the Department of Library and Information Science.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Information Sources and Services||MSL 603||Semester - I|
|Information and Communication Technology in LICs||MSL 605||Semester - I|
|Management of Library and Information Centres||MSL 602||Semester - II|
|Literature Search and Field Work||MSL 610||Semester - II|
|Electronic Information Resources and Information Literacy||MSL 703||Semester - III|
|Information and Communication Technology Applications in LICs [Practical]||MSL 706||Semester - III|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD||Library and Information Science||Mangalore University||2011|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Library and Information Science||Associate Professor||2014 – present|
|Department of Library and Information Science||Assistant Professor-Senior Scale||2011 - 2014|
|Department of Library and Information Science||Senior Librarian||2006 - 2011|
|Department of Library and Information Science||Librarian||2000 - 2006|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Health Sciences Librarianship, Information Services, Web Resources, User Study, Library Automation, Digital Library, Information Literacy.
Area of Expertise
Area of Research
Web Resources - Perception and Utilisation, Digital Libraries, IT Application in Libraries, User Study - Information Resources and Services.
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life member of Dakshina Kannada and Kodagu Library Association, Mangalore.
- Life member of Karnataka Health Sciences Library Association, Bangalore.
- Life member of Indian Library Association.
- Life member of Society for the Advancement of Library and Information Science (SALIS), Chennai.
User Awareness on Single Window Search Tool Provided by KMC Health Sciences Library, MAHE, Manipal: A Study.
Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal) 2019 September; 2729
Awareness, Perception and Use of Social, Networking Sites among Library Professionals and Semi-Professionals: A Case Study.
Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal) 2019 September; 2844
Use of KMC Health Sciences Library Portal by Postgraduate Students and Faculty Members of Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, MAHE, Manipal, India.
Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal) 2018 November; 1864
Relationship between Online Journal Usage and their Citations in the Academic Publications: A Case Study.
DESIDOC Journal of Library and Information Technology 2018 Sept;38(5):312-319
Perception of Semi-Professionals in using ICT in Manipal Academy of Higher Education Libraries.
DESIDOC Journal of Library and Information Technology 2018 Sept;38(5):369-374