CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Convenor, Medical Education Unit, KMC Mangalore
- Chairman Libray Committee, KMC Mangalore
Anand R is Professor in Pulmonary Medicine.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Pulmonary Medicine||Fourth Semester|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|DNB (Diplomate of National Board)||Respiratory Medicine||National Board of Examination||2000|
|MD (Doctor of Medicine)||Pulmonary Medicine||Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai, Bombay University||2000|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC Mangalore||Associate Dean||01/03/2015 - 28-02-2018|
|Pulmonary Medicine, KMC Mangalore||Professor and HOD||01/04/2010 - 31/03/2015|
|Pulmonary Medicine, KMC Mangalore||Professor||29/09/2009 - Till date|
|Pulmonary Medicine, KMC Mangalore||Associate Professor||07/08/2005 28/09/2009|
|Pulmonary Medicine, KMC Mangalore||Assistant Professor||07/08/2000 - 06/08/2005|
|Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai||Registrar||02/02/2000 - 31/07/2000|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Asthma , COPD , Interventional Pulmonology
Area of Expertise
Asthma , COPD
Area of Research
Asthma , COPD
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Recipient of the Good teacher award in 2014 (for the year 2013)
- Received the Patrick Pinto Memorial Award, 2013.
- Surveyor, International Society for Quality in Healthcare (ISQua).
- Principal Assessor, National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH).
- Member, Assessor Management Committee of NABH.
- Past member, Technical Committee of NABH.
- Editorial board member of NABH journal.
- Former Nodal Officer for Implementation of RNTCP.
- Member of the Quality Council of Manipal Health Enterprises Private Limited.
- Recipient of the Good teacher award in 2011 (for the year 2010)
- Recipient of “Certification of Appreciation” for contribution to medical literature in 2008.
- Responsible for the implementation of various quality initiatives in the college and also at the level of University.
- Played a key role in developing the strategic plan of the institute.
- Looks at adherence to the regulatory body’s requirements in the institution.
- Played a key role in the implementation of course evaluation and the subsequent migration of the same towards an online platform.
- Convener of the Medical Education Unit and plays a key role in making it vibrant and capable of conducting various faculty development programmes.
- Resource person for various conferences, workshops and CMEs.
- Served as a technical expert for National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies (NABCB) which is the apex body for certifying various certification bodies in our country.
- Was a qualified examiner for Indian Merchant Chamber-Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality Award for the year 2009-10.
- Spearheaded the implementation of QMS initiative in KMC Hospitals, Mangalore.
- Life Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, 2005
- Life Member of the Indian Chess Society, 2001
- Life Member of the Indian Association of Bronchology, 2001
- Life Member of the Indian Medical Association (IMA), 2005
- Member of Mangalore Chest Association, 2008.
Quality management in healthcare systems
The book provides a comprehensive overview of various quality management systems and goes on to explain the methodology for implementation.Sikkim Manipal Academy of Higher Education
A study of high sensitivity C reactive protein in bronchial asthma
An original article which looked at the role of hsCRP in bronchial asthma. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2009; 51:213-216
Correlation of sputum culture with serology against mycoplasma pneumonia in patients with bronchial asthma.
An original article which looked at 2 diagnostic methods for detection of the organism in patients with bronchial asthma. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2007; 49:209-212
Study of isolation of mycoplasma pneumonia in asthmatics by sputum culture
An original article which looked at isolation of the organism in asthmatics. Lung India 2005; 22:50-53
Rare cause of voice hoarseness, A case report
Nepal Med Coll J 2008; 10(2): 141-143
Focal veneration of diaphragm masquerading as intrathoracic mass partial volume effect
Lung India 2008;25: 85-86
Study of the attitude, belief and perceptions of the patients in inhaler use in bronchial asthma
This short term project was a questionnaire based project which looked at the problem of patients defaulting on treatment. The study concluded that a good patient education programme would help in improving compliance.
Respiratory morbidity and impairment among oil refinery workers in South India: a case control study
This short term project was carried out by using a questionnaire and performing lung function studies to measure the morbidity and impairment. It is noted that there is a trend towards impairment in workers who are directly working on the plant site when compared to workers based in the office.
The Prevalence of Quadriceps Muscle Weakness among patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) visiting a tertiary care hospital in South India.
The project is ongoing and the results are in the process of being compiled.