The Manipal Centre for Natural Sciences (MCNS) was started in 2011 under the Manipal Advanced Research Group (MARG). The primary aim of MCNS is to nurture fundamental research in the Natural Sciences and grow into a hub of excellence within Manipal Academy of Higher Education. In 2012, the fledgling MCNS came into its own as a Centre of Excellence under Manipal Academy of Higher Education. It is one of the first dedicated “all-research” Centers to be started within a University.
From its inception, a unique and vibrant academic program has been initiated and integrated with existing research at partner institutions in India and abroad. Since its inception, this “all-research” Centre has been striving to promote fundamental research in the forefront areas of natural sciences by encouraging independent and creative thought essential for scientific pursuit. The Centre presently has both academic and research programs. Building on its core strength in physics, MCNS is now expanding to include, earth and planetary sciences, chemistry, and computational sciences, as part of an ambitious mandate.
Advisory Group :
- Prof. Ajit Kembhavi – Former Director, Inter University Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune, India.
- Dr. Amit Roy – Former Director of Inter-University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi.
- Dr. P. Sreekumar – Former Director, Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bangalore, Satish Dhawan Professor, ISRO-DOS
- Prof. M.K. Janarthanam – Formerly Dean, Faculty of Life Sciences & Environment, Professor of Botany, Goa University.
- Prof. M. L. Khan – Professor of Botany & Director of Academic Affairs, Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University, Sagar, MP.
- Prof. L. S. Chamyal – Formerly Head, Dept. of Geology
- Prof. Vishwas Kale – Former Professor and Head, Dept. of Geography, Pune University.
- Dr. G. R. Ravindra Kumar – Scientist G, National Centre for Earth Science Studies, Trivandrum.
Dr. Kazuyuki Furuuchi, Associate Professor
Dr. Debbijoy Bhattacharya, Associate Professor
Dr. Sreejith Padinhatteeri, Assistant Professor
Dr. Chandrachur Chakraborty, Assistant Professor
Dr. Sumana Nandi, Assistant Professor
Dr. Rupak Roy, Assistant Professor
Ms. Sanna Gulati, Ph.D. Scholar
Ms. Suvedha Suresh Naik, Ph.D. Scholar
Mr. B. Ananthamoorthy, Ph.D. Scholar
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
Dr. K.V.Subbaiah, Consultant Professor & Radiological Safety Officer (RSO)
Dr. V. Gopalakrishnan, Consultant Professor
Dr. S V Suryanarayana, Consulting professor
Dr. Paresh Prajapati, Assistant Professor
Dr. Sumit Kumar, Assistant Professor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Sachin Shet, Staff Scientist
(b) Earth and Planetary Science
- Earth Science
Dr. Naimisha Vanik, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Dr. Narayana Shenoy S
- Evolutionary Biology
Dr. Vivek Pandi, Assistant Professor
Dr. Navya Reghu, Post Doctoral Research Fellow(PDF)
Gayathri Rajendiran, Ph.D. Scholar
Vishnu Shreekara Bhat, Ph.D. Scholar
- Planetary Science
Dr. Shalima Puthiyaveettil, Assistant Professor
(c) Chemistry and Material Science:
Dr. Suranjan Shil, Assistant professor
Dr. Chaitra. U, Senior Staff Scientist
Ms. Tania Sarkar, Project Associate
(d) Non-teaching / Support Staff:
- Administrative staff
• Mr. Ravindra Acharya, Senior Executive- Admin & Operations
• Mr. Venkatesh, Associate
- Library staff
• Dr. Jessy Saadi, Librarian
- Junior & Assistant Engineers:
• Mr. Ramaprasada, Assistant Engineer, Computers and peripherals
• Mr. Ganesh Acharya, Junior Engineer, Projection systems
- General Duty Workers:
• Mr. Prakash Poojary
• Mr. Vijay Kumar