The Manipal Centre for Natural Sciences (MCNS) was started in 2011 under the Manipal Research Group (MARG). The primary aim was to nurture fundamental research in the Natural Sciences and grow into a hub of excellence within Manipal Academy of Higher Education. In 2012, the fledgling MCNS came into its own as a Centre of Excellence under Manipal Academy of Higher Education. It is one of the first dedicated “all-research” Centres to be started within a University.
From its inception, a unique and vibrant academic program has been initiated and integrated with existing research at partner institutions in India and abroad. Building on its core strength in physics, MCNS has been expanding to other disciplines including pure mathematics, as part of an ambitious mandate.
Director: Dr. Mohini Gupta
Board of Advisors:
1. Prof. Amit Roy
2. Prof. S. M. Chitre
3. Prof. Vasudeva Rao
• Nuclear Physics
• Dr. Mohini Gupta, Professor
• Dr. Y.K. Gambhir, Distinguished Fellow
• Dr. A.V.Eremin, Adjunct Faculty
• Dr.G. Muenzenberg, Distinguished Visiting Professor
• Dr. Prasanta Kumar Rath ,Research Faculty
• Dr. Priyada P, Postdoctoral Fellow
• Nuclear Science
• Dr. K.V.Subbaiah, Consultant Professor & Radiological Safety Officer (RSO)
• Dr. Pradip K Sarkar, Distinguished Fellow & Additional RSO
• Mr.Sachin shet, Junior Research Fellow
• Nuclear and Atomic Data
• Dr.V.Gopalakrishnan, Consultant Professor
• Dr. Alan Leslie Nichols, Visiting Faculty
• Reactor Physics
• Dr. P. Mohankrishnan, Adjunct Faculty
• Astronomy & Astrophysics
• Dr.Debbijoy Bhattacharya, Assistant Professor
• Dr. Ajit Kembhavi, Adjunct Faculty
Email: : email@example.com
• Mr. Krishna Mohan, Phd student
• Ms. Sanna Gulati, PhD student
• Theoretical Physics
• Dr. Kazuyuki Furuuchi, Associate Professor
• Dr. K.P.N.Moorthy, Adjunct Faculty, Computational Physics
• Dr. Cheng Young Lee, Postdoctoral research Fellow Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dr.Raila Andre, Postdoctoral research Fellow
• Ms. Suvedha Suresh Naik, Phd Student
b) Mathematics Chair
• Prof. M.S. Narasimhan, Dr.T.M.A. Pai Endowment Chair in Mathematics at MCNS
• Dr. Nitin Nitsure, Visiting faculty, Dr.T.M.A.Pai Endowment Chair in Mathematics at MCNS (Oct 2015 to Dec 2015)
• Dr. Ramdas T R, Visiting faculty, Dr.T.M.A.Pai Endowment Chair in Mathematics at MCNS (Oct 2015 to Dec 2015)
• Dr. Garcia-Prada, Visiting faculty, Dr.T.M.A.Pai Endowment Chair in Mathematics at MCNS (Oct 2015 to Dec 2015)
• Dr. J. Arunachalam, Adjunct Faculty, Analytical Chemistry
• Dr. Sourav Pal, Adjunct Faculty
• Dr. Murali Sastry, Adjunct Faculty
• Dr. Parantap Sarkar, Assistant Professor Email: Parantap.email@example.com
• Dr. Shivaprasad K, Assistant Professor, Inorganic Chemistry
• Dr. Nagaraj Nayak, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
d) Science of Earth, Oceans and Space
• Earth Science & Planetary Science Group
• Dr. Dhirendra Kumar Pandey, Professor
e) Evolutionary Biology
• Dr. Ranajit Das, Assistant Professor
h) Non-teaching / Support Staff:
• Administrative staff
• Ms. Veena Kumari, Senior Executive, Director’s office
• Mr. Venkatesh, Associate, MCNS office
• Library staff:
• Mr. Krishnanand Bhat, Assistant Librarian
• Junior & Assistant Engineers:
• Mr. Ramaprasada, Assistant Engineer, Computers and peripherals
• Mr. Ganesh Acharya, Junior Engineer, Projection systems
• General Duty Workers:
• Prakash Poojary
• Mr. Vijay Kumar
Manipal University focuses on maintaining high standards of teaching and research.
Dr. Mohini Gupta
Dr Pai with PM Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri. Kasturba Medical College, India’s first private medical college, was started.light-theme 1953
Kasturba Medical College opened.dark-theme 1955
MIT founded, Udupi Law College launched, and Medical Relief Society of South Canara set up to render services to rural areas.light-theme 1957
School of Nursing, Manipal started
Kasturba General Hospital inaugurated.light-theme 1960
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal set up.light-theme 1963
Valley View International Health Club launchedlight-theme 1968
First dialysis machine installed in Kasturba Hospital.light-theme 1971
Additions were made to the MIT engineering courses, for example, a one-year post-graduate diploma course was added in industrial engineering. Later in 1975, MEC changed its name to Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT).
MIT has also taken an active part in community development in Manipal. A land-use plan for the town has been developed by MIT staff, as well as standardized low-cost plans for college buildings.
A Canadian private foundation, Operation Eyesight Universal, gave Kasturba Hospital a completely equipped eye van.light-theme 1976
KMC celebrates its silver jubilee. Madhav Pai passes away. He was 81.
Read More light-theme 1979
TA Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) was set up this year. Today, it is among the leading management institutes in the country.
TAPMI’s mission is to build capacity in professional management in the country, and closer home, to reinforce the existing educational and health infrastructure at Manipal.
In early 2009, its 25th year running, TAPMI shifted to a new scenic 42-acre residential campus in Manipal.
TMA Pai Hospital (TMAPH) began functioning at Udupi, to provide quality out-patient and family-planning services to the people of Udupi and neighboring localities.
Equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure like ICUs with ventilators, fully equipped operation theatres, radiology service, ultrasound and laboratory etc., the hospital has links with the tertiary-care Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, which ensures priority treatment to patients on referral from Dr TMA Pai Hospital.
It was a time when the hotel industry was still in its infancy; there was a dearth of trained professionals and training colleges. The College of Hotel and Restaurant Management Studies (CHARMS) was established in October 1986 as a unit of the Dr TMA Pai Foundation.
In August 1987, the Foundation joined hands with Welcomgroup, the Hotels division of ITC Ltd, and the college was renamed the Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA).
Manipal College of Nursing was established at Manipal. In 1991, Manipal Hospital Bangalore (MHB) was set up, accredited by NABH and AAHRPP, and comprising 55 clinical departments and 11 centers of excellence.
It is a flagship hospital under Manipal Health Enterprises and a landmark healthcare destination in south India. Ranked the Best Super specialty Hospital in Bangalore by THE WEEK-HANSA, it is among the best hospitals in India for cardiology.
In 1992, the KMC Hospital at Attavar, Mangalore was set up as a teaching hospital of KMC, Mangalore and an associate hospital of Manipal University.
That very year, the Shirdi Sai Baba Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was set up.
Manipal Academy of Higher Education awarded Deemed University status by Government of India, and is renamed Manipal University.
Manipal College of Medical Sciences established in Pokhara, Nepallight-theme 1994
The Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences (MCOAHS), now School of Allied Health Sciences (SOAHS) was established in 1999.light-theme 1999
Manipal University Dubai inaugurated.light-theme 2000
World class sports complex MARENA, launched in Manipal.
MU Chancellor and President Dr Ramdas Pai awarded Padma Bhushan. Dr Ramdas Pai becomes second Indian to be honoured with Malaysian title ‘Datuk’. Manipal University Jaipur launched.
Manipal Museum of Anatomy and Pathology opened.light-theme 2012
Manipal Group celebrates 60 years in Education and Healthcare. Golden Peacock Environment Management award for Manipal University. Manipal University Jaipur awarded