Dr. Dilip G Naik
Dr. Dilip. G. Naik is the ProVice Chancellor of Manipal Academy of Higher Education. He is an alumnus of Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, having obtained his B.D.S in 1983 and M.D.S in Periodontology in 1986. He served for a stint of eight years at Al Arab Medical University, Benghazi Libya from 1991-1999. On his return, he was appointed as the Associate Dean, MCODS, Mangalore in the year 2000. In July, 2012, he was promoted as Dean, MCODS, Mangalore, a position he held till June 2020. He has over two decades of administrative experience. Under his leadership, MCODS, Mangalore has been ranked among the top five private dental colleges in India for the last three years consecutively. In this years’ first ever NIRF Dental college rankings, MCODS, Mangalore was ranked sixth.
Dr. Dilip is credited for the establishment of the Faculty of Dentistry, Melaka- Manipal Medical College, Malaysia. Dr. Dilip has been trained in Oral Implantology in Germany. He has over 65 national and international publications. He has conducted over 12 national and international multicentric clinical trials with Hindustan Unilever Ltd, Mumbai. He is the co-author of the South East Asian Edition of the globally popular Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology textbook.
Dr. Dilip has been the National Vice-President of the Indian Society of Periodontology for two consecutive terms. He has been a consultant for oral health care for Hindustan Unilever Ltd, Mumbai. He has been a BoS member for Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, Kerala University of Health Sciences, Kerala and Nitte University, Mangalore. He is an Assessor for the Dental Council of India and NAAC. He was conferred the Distinguished Alumnus Award during the golden jubilee celebrations of MCODS, Manipal.
During his tenure as the Dean, Dr. Dilip introduced the indigenous digitization of the patient management system and introduced OBE into the dental curriculum. He started one fellowship and six innovative certificate programmes understanding the current trends in clinical dental treatment.
- Associate Dean, Prof. of Periodontics, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore: From December 2000 till date.
- Faculty, Department of Oral Implantology, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal: From April 2000 till date.
- Professor and Head of Periodontics, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore: From June 1999 till September 2008.
- Lecturer in Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Al-Arab Medical University, Benghazi, Libya: From October 1995 to September 1999.
- Assistant Lecturer in Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Al-Arab Medial University, Benghazi, Libya: From October 1991 to October 1995.
- Reader in Periodontics, College of Dental Surgery, Mangalore: From January 1991 to September 1991.
- Assistant Professor in Periodontics, College of Dental Surgery, Mangalore: From January 1989 to January 1991.
- Lecturer in Periodontics, College of Dental Surgery, Mangalore: From January 1987 to January 1989.
- Post-Graduate Cum Tutor in Periodontics, College of Dental Surgery, Manipal: From February 1985 to December 1986.
- Hon. Resident, College of Dental Surgery, Manipal:
- From October 1983 to October 1984.
Top 5 research publications/ projects
- Singh VP, Nayak DG, Uppoor AS: Pyogenic granuloma associated with bone loss: A case report Journal of Nepal Dental Association 2010, Vol.10, No:2. 137-139.
- Dipen S., Nayak D., U Ashitha: Soft tissue management during second stage implant surgery, Kerala Dental Journal, July 2009, Vol. 32, No.3,., 156-158
- Humagain M, Nayak DG, Uppoor AS: Gingival depigmentation: A case report with review of literature, Journal of Nepal Dental Association 2009, Vol. 10, No. 1, Jan.-Jun., 53-56
- Shenoy R.P, Nayak D.G, Peter S,: Periodontal disease as a risk factor for pre-term low birth weight – An assessment of gynecologist’s knowledge: A Pilot Study, Indian J Dent. Research Vol. 20 (1), 2009; 13-16.
- Shetty N, Nayak D G,:Periodontal ligament stem cells: A review Dentistry online Jan., 2008
- Humagain M, Nayak DG, Uppoor A S: Maintenance of Implant supported over denture-A case report. J.Oral Health Commun. Dent., 2(3); October, 2008 70-72.
- Shetty .N, Thomas B, Aga.A, Nayak D, Periodontal ligament-Cells – A review Dentistry-on –line(The International Dental Forum), 2008, 1-30
- Humagain M, Nayak DG, Uppoor AS, A Clinical Evaluation of Bioactive Glass Particulate in the treatment of mandibular class II furcation defects. Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences, Dec 2007, Vol 6, No.23, 1450-1456
- Kini V, Nayak D.G, Uppoor. A , Self induced injury of the periodontal tissues- A case report. The Journal Of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology 2006, 18:03, 170-171
- Reddy P.K, Nayak D.G, Uppoor A., Aesthetic Crown lengthening Malaysian Dental Journal,2006, 27(2) 110-113