Virtual Campus Tour of MCH
MCH is deeply committed to encouraging critical and creative thinking across a wide variety of disciplines. One of its core aims is to foster original research from India in the fields of humanities and social sciences. It remains strongly aligned with the New Education Policy in its focus on India-relevant research and employment opportunity, as well as the United Nations mandate on Sustainable Development Goals. Dr. T. M. A. Pai, the founder of Manipal Academy of Higher Education, was a staunch believer in the importance of the humanities. He noted that “the craze for medical and engineering education must not come at the cost of vital subjects of arts, literature, and philosophy.” It was this vision that led to the creation of this Centre of Excellence in 2010 by the renowned philosopher and social scientist Sundar Sarukkai
Faculty at MCH are trained at some of the leading universities in India and abroad. Engaged in pioneering research, which contributes to their teaching, MCH faculty have published extensively, both nationally and internationally. Some of the core areas of engagement are Gender Studies, Modern Indian Literature, Social History, Continental Philosophy, Film Studies, Political Sociology, Medical Sociology, Modern Indian History, Contemporary Literature, History of Medicine and Visual Culture.
MCH is unique in encouraging the full spectrum of programs. We believe that students learn best from peers and immediate seniors. Thus, in a small campus, undergraduate students rub shoulders, and often collaborate with postgraduates and doctoral scholars. This makes for a vibrant and intimate learning environment. At present, MCH offers a BA program in the Humanities with a Major in English/History/Sociology, MA (English), MA (Sociology), MA (History) and PhD program. Students come to MCH from many of India’s premier undergraduate colleges and from universities across the world.
MCH Alumni have gone on to have successful careers in media, publishing, education, the social sector, the corporate sector, and arts management. Students are equipped with knowledge and communication skills that allow them to work in varied institutional settings—governmental and non-governmental, corporate as well as international bureaucracy, civil service and philanthropy.
Graduates from MCH have also been accepted in programs in prestigious international universities including the University of Pennsylvania (USA), University of Chicago (USA), Columbia University (USA), Oxford University (UK), London School of Economics (UK), Cambridge University (UK), University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA), University of Toronto (Canada), University of Kent (UK), University of Groningen (Netherlands), University of Western Ontario (Canada), and the Australian National University, among many others.
To encourage research and activities in allied areas of interest, specialized Centres have been set up within MCH. These include the Hebbar Gallery and Art Centre, Centre for Women's Studies and Manipal-Samvaad Centre for Indian Music.
MCH is housed in a beautiful, traditional coastal-style construction with a commanding view of Manipal Lake. The new MCH building houses six classrooms, a two-storey library, and the state-of-the-art Gangubai Hanagal Auditorium, as well as a conference room, a common room, and offices for faculty, staff and PhD students. Apart from the excellent physical infrastructure for culture and sports, the faculty-to-student ratio has been deliberately kept low in accordance with best international practices to ensure that students get the best possible academic attention and guidance.
For the latest details, please follow MCH on social media.
Address: Manipal Centre for Humanities,
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Alevoor Road, Dr T.M.A. Pai Planetarium Complex, Manipal, Karnataka, 576104
Phone: (+91) 820 292 3561
- Centre of Excellence: MCH is a Centre of Excellence at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and provides a holistic training in Humanities and Social Sciences with strong emphasis on interdisciplinarity and social and academic relevance.
- Highly Accomplished Faculty: Faculty at MCH have doctorate degrees from highly reputed national and international universities. Engaged in pioneering research, which contributes to their teaching, MCH faculty have published extensively, both nationally and internationally.
- Innovative Pedagogy: Inspired by international liberal arts programs, all courses at MCH provide a strong emphasis on research, writing and communication skills and encourage original thinking while engaging with the latest scholarship. MCH also has a low student-faculty ratio and provides one-to-one mentoring during project and thesis writing.
- International Recognition: MCH is regularly visited by nationally and internationally renowned scholars and artists.
- Placements: MCH alumnae are spread across the fields of publishing, media, thinktanks, national and international NGOs, arts management, and higher research in prestigious international and ivy-league universities.
- Student Activities: MCH has a diverse student population from some of the best colleges across the country. International students have come from countries such as France, Czech Republic, Australia, Italy, Iran, Peru, Syria, and Thailand. The student community at MCH has opportunities to harness extracurricular aptitudes through several vibrant forums - Film Club, Literary Club, Sports Club, Theatre Club & Literary Journals that are coordinated by the students themselves.
- Academic Events: Catering to UN Sustainable Goals, MCH hosts several national and international workshops/conferences/seminars/symposiums. Students get an opportunity to listen to and interact with top scholars in their field.
- MCH is home to a state-of-the-art Auditorium, an exclusive Art Gallery and a very extensive Humanities Library.
Brochure MCH 2023
MCH has collaborated with institutions such as the University of Chicago, Università di Napoli L'Orientale, Italy, National University of Singapore, Sutasoma Trust, UK, Dalhousie University, Canada, Princeton University, etc