The department of community medicine at KMC Mangalore provides high quality training in Community Medicine to undergraduate medical students and undergraduate & post graduate students of allied health science specialties. In addition to quality teaching, the department is also involved in various research projects funded by national and international funding agencies. The department pursues several collaborations with renowned international universities for conducting research activities.
The department was instrumental in encouraging undergraduate medical students for ICMR-STS projects for inculcating research skills among them and it is a matter of honour to know that KMC Mangalore has highest number of ICMR- STS projects in the country. The department is also involved in providing promotive, preventive and curative health services to the community for the health and welfare of the people, through different tiers of health care delivery systems.
All the faculty members are well versed in designing and conduct of various epidemiological studies. We also offer consultation to other department’s research activities including PG Dissertation- Methodology and Data analysis. The department has collaboration with many national and international agencies and Universities for various Health Projects.
- Research and publication by students will help in pursuing higher studies
- Incorporating research into medical undergraduate curriculum during 4th semester clinical postings in the department helps inculcate research skills
- Collaboration with national and international funding agencies for research activities
- Active involvement in various projects under the aegis of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Government of India), ICMR etc.
- Consistent high ranking in terms of research publication in the renowned national and international journals
- Research collaborations with University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA and University of Arizona, USA
- Health care services to the community in Dakshina Kannada districts through Outreach Health Clinics operated by the department, Primary Health Centres (PHCs) and Community Health Centres (CHCs).
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – USA
- University of Arizona – USA
- National Institute of Health & Family Welfare – India
- St. Johns Research Institute – India
- Monash University, Sunway Campus – Malaysia
- ICRA Management Consulting Services Limited – India.
- Karnataka State Health System Resource Centre (KSHSRC) – India.
- Indian Institute of Public Health, Gandhinagar- India.
- Karnataka State AIDS Prevention Society (KSAPS) - India
- Karnataka Health Promotion Trust – India
- Achutha Menon Centre for Health Sciences Studies, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences & Technology - India
About the area of study
Community Medicine (Preventive and Social medicine) is a branch of medicine that deals with the preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative aspects of the community
In contrast to clinician who treats the disease, community physician identifies the cause of disease and disability and implements large-scale solutions in the community. This is a rapidly expanding discipline of medicine encroaching itself upon different aspects of health namely public health genetics, non-communicable disease epidemiology, vaccinology, disaster management, accidentology, mental health, occupational health etc. Community physicians have made important contribution globally over the centuries in elimination & eradication of major diseases. In addition to these, the discipline has made significant contribution in development of policies and programs at the national and the international level based on the extensive research carried out in the field of diseases of public health importance.