The Department of Community Medicine at KMC Mangalore was established in 1977 and provides high quality training in Community Medicine to undergraduate medical students and postgraduate students of allied health science specialties.
The Department is also involved in various research projects funded by national and international funding agencies. It encourages undergraduates to be part of ICMR-STS projects.
It is also involved in providing promotive, preventive and curative health services to the community through different tiers of health care delivery systems.
- Preventive, promotive and community health services
- Research Methodology and Statistics
- Training in epidemiological methods and its application to communicable and non-communicable diseases in the community
- Monitoring and evaluation of ongoing National Health Policy and programs
- Incorporating research into medical undergraduate curriculum during fourth semester clinical postings to help students inculcate research skills
- Collaboration with national and international funding agencies for research activities.
The Department has research collaborations with
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA and University of Arizona, USA, University of Arizona - USA
- National Institute of Health and Family Welfare - India
- St Johns Research Institute -India
- Monash University - Malaysia
- ICRA Management Consulting Services Limited - India
- Karnataka State Health System Resource Centre (KSHSRC) - India
- Indian Institute of Public Health, Gandhinagar - India
- Karnataka State AIDS Prevention Society (KSAPS) - India
- Karnataka Health Promotion Trust - India
- Achutha Menon Centre for Health Sciences Studies
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences Technology -India.
Individual departments under KMC are supported by state-of-the-art infrastructure for research and clinical experience.
The Department of Neurology has EEG/ENMG Labs.
Libraries have excellent resources for reference and study
Teaching in hospitals give students hands-on learning
Research & publications
The areas of research include: Evaluation of histogenesis of various organ systems using fetal tissues. Estimation of subcutaneous fat and fibre distribution and types in the abdominal region and its clinical implications. Effect of DHA and Colin on stress induced behavior and histological changes in the CNS. • Preventive and protective role of cissus quadrangular is extract on diabetes induced osteopenia and bone loss in osteoporosis- a cellular and molecular evaluation. Cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in curative and prophylactic role of Caesalpinia Bonduc extracts on Liver toxicity. Use of lead as nano-particle in traditional medicine - multi-organ approach to evaluate the functional, cellular and molecular alterations. Role of traditional medicinal preparations in wound healing - structural, biomechanical, molecular evaluations use normal and diabetic wound models.
Manipal University means a lot to me. The faculty here is so supportive. It assures me of a bright future ahead.
I received all my transcripts and paperwork through KMC Mangalore who made this process smooth and efficient. Such professionalism is hard to find.
Dr Priyanka Kanth
From admissions, providing scholarships to teaching and evaluation - everything follows a transparent system which is remarkable.
II MBBS, 2012 batch
I have seen most common to most rare cases in almost all medical branches in the course of MBBS studies thanks to the clinical teachings and case exposure.
Dr Ashish Tyagi
Assistant Professor of General Surgery
The learning environment here is unique. The infrastructure is designed to facilitate hands-on learning. I love the life here as a student!