The Department of Radiodiagnosis is one of the most important health care service providers in the hospital and plays a vital role in both early diagnosis and therapeutic procedures catering to all other branches of medicine.
- The department has been in existence for 58 years
- It has been taking care of both governments Wenlock and Lady Goschen hospitals for over 50 years and is well established in the private hospitals run by Manipal University at Bejai, Attavar and Ambedkar circle since 1980.
- Presently it has established itself as a leader in delivery of radiology services to the city of Mangalore and patients from neighboring towns and villages including the state of Kerala.
- The department is involved in both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching for students in KMC Mangalore under Manipal Academy of Higher Education and has been recognized by the Medical Council of India for postgraduate training since 2010.
- There is an international and domestic mix of undergraduate students with a domestic predominance of postgraduate students.
- The department is equipped with Xray, Mammography, Ultrasound, CT and MRI machines from leading manufacturers like GE, Siemens, Phillips, Shimadzu, and Allengers.
- The postgraduates trained by the department have job opportunities in both medical colleges and corporate hospitals in India and abroad.
- There is an entrance exam conducted by Manipal Academy of Higher Education for undergraduate and postgraduate students for admission based on merit and a quota for government medical entrance students is also available for admission into undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- The department has provided faculty support towards the Four Ways Healthcare reporting program in the United Kingdom.
- The department's interventional radiologist is providing expert assistance to procedures at all Manipal group hospitals as and when required.
- 93 books at KMC Attavar
- 63 books at KMC Ambedkar hospital
- Main library at college has over 636 books
Areas of Research
With Department of Anatomy:
Dr. Anup Rao K, Doctor of Medicine MD, department of Anatomy KMC, Mangalore. 2009-2012- Radiological Changes Of Cervical Vertebrae In Cervical Spondylosis – Guided by Dr. Ajit Mahale
With Department of Skin:
Dr. Sakshi Midha, MD in Skin & V.D. 2009- 2012 Department of Skin – Ultrasonographic Assessment Of Lower Limb Enthesopathy In Psoriatic Patients” Guided by Dr. Ajit Mahale
With Department of Physiotherapy,
1. Gopalakrishna Alaparthi, Asst. Professor Department of Physiotherapy, K.M.C. Mangalore - Comparison Of Diaphragmatic Breathing Exercise, Volume And Flow Incentive Spirometry On Diaphragm Excursion And Pulmonary Function In Patients Undergoing Laparoscopic Surgery – A Randomized Controlled Trial- Guided by Dr. Ajit Mahale
STS - 2006
a. Evaluation of Radiologic changes in cervical
spondylosis - Dr. Tejaswi- Guided by Dr. Ajit Mahale
a. Evaluation of Chest Radiograph in detecting early
Emphysematous changes in smokers -Dr. Rashmi
Ann - Guided by Dr. Ajit Mahale
b. Pulmonary Tuberculosis In HIV Infection -Guided
by Dr. Ashvini Kumar
a. CT scan as a prognostic indicator of spontaneous
intracranial hemorrhage - Mr. Rohith Sachdev
(MBBS) Guided by Dr. Santosh Rai.
About the area of study
Radiodiagnosis is a branch of medicine which deals with use of Xrays, high-frequency sound waves and magnetic properties of the human body for diagnostic imaging and therapeutic interventions. The discipline is expanding with newer modalities getting introduced with the objective of accuracy and precision in diagnosis so as to enable delivery of appropriate treatment