CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaches Dental Anatomy, Oral Histology and Oral Pathology to BDS students
- Is involved in practical classes and demonstrations of Dental Anatomy, Oral Histology and Oral Pathology
- Guides PG students for their dissertation work
- Prepares course materials, syllabus and question papers for undergraduate program
- Conducts formative and summative assessments for students
- Provides histopathological diagnosis for oral lesions and histopathological consultation for external sources
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Dental Anatomy, Embryology and Oral Histology||First year BDS|
|Oral Pathology and Microbiology||Second year and Third year BDS|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology||MDS|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD||Biomarkers in the prognostication of Oral Squamous Cell carcinoma||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal||2015|
|MDS||Oral Pathology and Microbiology||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal||1996|
|BDS||College of Dental Surgery, Manipal||1994|
|UICC-ICRETT fellowship||FOXM1 based qMIDS analysis to assess the malignant transformation of potentially malignant oral lesions||Barts and the London school of Dentistry, Queen Mary’s University London|
|UICC-ICRETT fellowship||Application of tissue microarray technology in oral cancer||Department of Pathology, University of Chicago||2005|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Oral Pathology, MCODS, Manipal||Professor||June 2020- till date|
|Department of Oral Pathology, MCODS Manipal||Professor and Head||June 2013 - June 2020|
|Department of Oral Pathology, MCODS Manipal||Professor||Jan 2009- June 2013|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore||Professor||Aug 2007- Jan 2009|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal||Professor||May 2005- July 2007|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal||Associate Professor||Dec 2001- May 2005|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal||Assistant Professor||Oct 1997- Dec 2001|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore||Assistant Professor||Nov 1996-Oct 1997|
PROJECTS: (Completed/ on-going projects):
- Salivary DNA as a diagnostic tool in oral cavity squamous cell carcinomas
- Evaluating the role of MCM-5 in the behavior of Oral Squamous cell carcinomas
- Correlating the expression of BCL2, P53 and E-Cadherin in Oral Squamous cell Carcinomas of Indian Population- A tissue Microarray analysis
- Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine
- Journal of the Indian Association of oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- International journal of medicine and medical science
- Universal medical and Dental Journal.
- Future Oncology
- Reviewer the Iranian Dental Journal
- Reviewer for the Journal of cancer research and therapeutics
- Reviewer for the BMC Cancer journal
- Reviewer for Diagnostic Pathology
- Contributed three chapters ( Pulp, Salivary Gland and Tissue Processing in the Text book “ Essentials of Oral Anatomy, Oral Histology and Physiology”
- Member of the Indian Advisor Board for the Textbook Wheeler’s Dental Anatomy, embryology and occlusion. Elsevier
- Recipient of an UICC fellowship ( UICC- TF 17/547878) to carry out a project “ FOXM1 based quantitative Malignancy diagnostic Index (qMIDS) to assess the malignant transformation of Potentially malignant oral lesions” at the Barts and the London Institute of Dentistry from March 15th 2018 to April 15th 2018- RS 2,10,000/-
- Received a grant from Indian Association for medical research for a project Salivary biomarker and cytomorphometric analysis for early detection of oral squamous cell carcinomas”- Rs 50,000/-
- Received a ELISA kit from Clementia Biotech for the study “ Salivary biomarker and cytomorphometric analysis for early detection of oral squamous cell carcinomas”- Rs 20,000/-
- Received a grant from the Indian Council for Medical research for the project “Assessment of tumor cell morphology and Ki-67 expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma- Rs 25,000/-
- Recipient of the AACR-NCI International Investigator’s opportunity grant – 2008 bestowed by the American Association for Cancer Research to participate in the Annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research that was held at San Diego Convention Centre, San Diego from April 11- April 16, 2008- Rs 3,00,000/-
- Travel Grant from the Council Scientific Indian research (CSIR) to attend the l3th International Congress on Oral Pathology and Medicine at Brisbane, Australia June 21st-25th 2006- Rs 50,000/-
- UICC (ICRETT) fellowship (ICR/05/23) for the project “ Immunohistochemical Analysis Of Tumor Markers During The Development And Progression Of Head And Neck Cancers Using Tissue Microarray: A Systematic Approach” which was carried out at the Department of Pathology, University of Chicago under supervision of Dr Mark W Lingen- Rs 2,10,000
- Salivary DNA as a diagnostic tool in oral cavity squamous cell carcinomas- International collaboration with the Dr Rifat Hasina, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A
- FOXM1 based qMIDS analysis to detect malignant transformation of potentially malignant oral lesions with Dr Muy-Teck Teh Barts and the London school of Dental Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, U.K
- Awarded the Best Paper award for “FOXM1 based Quantitative Malignancy Diagnostic system- a novel multigene assay for dysplasias and oral squamous cell carcinomas” at the 27th annual conference of the Indian Association of the Oral and Maxillofacial pathologists that was held at Amritsar from November 16th to 18th 2018.
- Awarded the Best paper award “Immunoprofiling of oral squamous cell carcinoma – A tissue microarray study at the International congress on cytology, cytopathology and histopathology that was held at Goa on February
- Awarded the best paper award for “Simultaneous analysis of the expression of cyclin D1, EGFR, p53 and Bcl-2 using a handy Tissue Microarrayer - a potential investigative tool for diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinomas at the International Pre cancer and Cancer congress that was held at King George medical college at Lucknow on February 3rd and 4th 2014
- Was bestowed a “Blue Ribbon” for being a finalist in two award categories for the poster “A Tissue Microarray Analysis For Molecular Screening Of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma In A Rural Indian Set-Up- A Study Using A Handy Tissue Microarrayer” at the 2011 Annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Pathology / WASPaLM XXVI World Congress that was held at Las Vegas from October 19-22,2011
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Prognostication of Potentially Malignant lesions and oral squamous cell carcinomas.
Area of Expertise
Application of Tissue Microarray Technology in the Diagnosis and Prognostication of Oral Cancers
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Member of the International Association of Oral Pathologists- IAOP 564
- Member of the Global Cancer Control Community
- Member of Association of UICC Fellows
- Member of Indian Dental Association- A-2718
- Life Member of Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologist - M/312/LM
· Pradhan S, Guddattu V, Solomon MC. Association of the co-expression of SOX2 and Podoplanin in the progression of oral squamous cell carcinomas - an immunohistochemical study. J Appl oral sci 2019;27, p. e20180348.
· Kudva A, Cariappa KM., Dhara V, Solomon MC. Central giant cell granuloma: An uncommon presentation. Oral and Maxillofac Surg Cases 2018; 4 (4): 135-40.
· Singh A, Solomon MC. Osteoid osteoma of the mandible: A case report with review of the literature. J Dent Sci 2017;12 (2): 185-89.
· Singh P, Grover J, Byatnal AA, Guddattu V, Radhakrishnan AR, Solomon MC. Elucidating the role of Cyclooxygenase-2 in the pathogenesis of oral lichen planus – an immunohistochemical study with supportive histochemical analysis J Oral Pathol Med 2017; 46 (5): 381-86.
· Pai D, Kamath AT, Kudva A, Solomon MC, Kumar S, Sasikumar P. Concomitant central giant cell granuloma and aneurysmal bone cyst in a young child. Case Rep Dent 2017 article no: 6545848,
· Solomon MC, Vidyasagar MS, Fernandes D, Guddattu V, Mathew M, Shergill AK Carnelio S, Chandrashekar C. The prognostic implication of the expression of EGFR, p53, cyclin D1, Bcl-2 and p16 in primary locally advanced oral squamous cell carcinoma cases: a tissue microarray study. Med Oncol 2016; 33(12), article no 138, .
· Singh P, Shergil A, Solomon MC, Carnelio S. Osseous dysplasia: An aggressive swelling at an uncommon site. J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol 2016;28 (3): 264-66.
· Thennavan A, Byatnal A, Solomon MC, Radhakrishnan AR. The role of Ki-67, p16, CD34, Bcl-2, cyclooxygenase-2 in the pathogenesis of proliferative verrucous leucoplakia. Ind J Cancer 2015;52(4): 498-502.
· Byatnal AA, Byatnal A, Sen S, Guddattu V, Solomon MC. Cyclooxygenase-2 – An Imperative Prognostic Biomarker in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma- An Immunohistochemical Study. Pathol Oncol Res 2015; 21(4): 1123-31.
· Mutalik VS, Nichat P, Carnelio S, Solomon MC, Radhakrishnan A R. Clear cell variant of calcifying epithelial odontogenic tumor without calcification: a rarity. J of contemporary dent practice 2014;15(1): 119-21.
· Mehendiratta M, Solomon MC, Boaz K, Guddattu V, Mohindra A. Clinico-pathological correlation of E-cadherin expression at the invasive tumor front of Indian oral squamous cell carcinomas: An immunohistochemical study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2014;18 (2): 217-22
· Byatnal AA, Rao ACK, Solomon MC, Radhakrishnan RA. A guise of osteosarcoma: Chondroblastoma-like. Ind J Dent Res 2013; 24 (5): 631-34.
· Manikant A, Gupta M, Suji N, Kamath AT, Solomon MC, Pai KM, Radhakrishnan AR.
. Calcifying odontogenic cyst: A rare report of a nonneoplastic variant associated with cholesterol granuloma. J Contemporary Dent Practice 2013;14 (6):1178-82.
· Patney A, Sholapurkar AA, Pai KM, Solomon MC. Recurrent exophytic growth on maxillary posterior edentulous alveolar ridge - a diagnostic challenge. Dent Update 2012; 39:286-290.
· Solomon MC, Carnelio S, Gudattu V. Molecular analysis of oral squamous cell carcinoma: A tissue microarray study. Ind J Cancer 2010; 47 (2): 166--72.
· Khandelwal S, Solomon MC. Cytomorphological analysis of keratinocytes in oral smears from tobacco users and oral squamous cell carcinoma lesions--a histochemical approach. Int J Oral Sci 2010; 2 (1): 45-52.
· Radhakrishnan AR, Solomon MC, Satyamoorthy K, Martin LE, Lingen MW. Tissue microarray - A high-throughput molecular analysis in head and neck cancer. J Oral Pathol and Med 2008; 37 (3): 166-76.
· Carnelio S, Pai KM, Rao NN, Solomon MC, Ahsan A. Metastatic osteosarcoma to the maxilla: A case report and a review of the literature. Quint Int 2002; 33 (5): 397-99.
· Carnelio S, Solomon MC, Manohar V. Ameloblastic carcinoma. A case report with review of literature. Ind J Dent Res 2001;12 (4): 238-241.
· Jose M, Rao NN, Solomon MC. Glandular odontogenic cyst. A rare entity with aggressive biological behaviour. A case report. Ind J Dent Res 2000; 11 (3): 107-10.
Patent granted by Government of India for "An Improved Manual Tissue Microarrayer Device For A Rapid And Simultaneous Analysis Of Multiple Tumor Specimens"
• Evaluating the role of salivary biomarkers and cytomorphometry in the early detection of oral squamous cell carcinomas • Evaluating the expression of SOX-2 and Podoplanin in different histological grades of oral squamous cell carcinomas • Estimation of the expression of ERCC1 in oral squamous cell carcinomas • Elucidating the Role of Cyclooxygenase-2 in the Pathogenesis of Oral Lichen Planus – An Immunohistochemical Study with Supportive Histochemical Analysis • Evaluating the prognostic implication of EGFR, p53, Ki 67 Cyclin D1 and p16 in oral squamous cell carcinomas • Assessment of proliferative potential of tumor cells using ki-67 expression and morphometrical analysis for prognostication of oral squamous cell carcinomas • Expression of Cyclo oxygenase -2 in different grades of Squamous Cell Carcinoma – An immunohistochemical study • Expression of MLH 1 gene in different grades of Squamous Cell Carcinoma – An immunohistochemical study • Prognostic implication of Silver – Binding Nucleolar Organizer Region (AgNORs) at invasive tumour front of Oral squamous cell carcinoma • Immunohistochemical evaluation of E-cadherin expression in various grades of oral epithelial dysplasia and Oral Squamous cell carcinoma: Correlating its progressive loss with the progression of neoplastic transformation • Immunohistochemical evaluation of p53 protein expression in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinomas • Evaluation of Morphometric discrimination between normal and Malignant Oral Keratinocytes • Immunohistochemical evaluaion of the expression of bcl-2 in different histological grades of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma • Histological and Histometric Analysis of Solitary and Multiple Odontogenic Keratocysts- a comparative study • A study of modified Epithelial dysplasia Index in Oral Leukoplakia