CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Have conducted 40 collaborative projects with 15 different international universities.
- PhD external examiner for University of Granada, Spain.
- External referee for faculty promotion in King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Guest lectures delivered:
- Have received industrial grants from Dentsply, USA; Vista Dental, USA; Epien Medical USA; Septodont, France; BioMTA, Korea; Medcem, Switzerland; University of Zurich, Switzerland, Engineered Endodontics, USA; FKG Swiss Endo, Switzerland; University of Dublin, Ireland.
N Vasudev Ballal is Additional Professor.
· Editorial board member of 19 journals
· Reviewer of 66 international journals
· Publons 365 verified reviews and being the top reviewer of Manipal Academy of Higher Education which is the 1st University in India with the top reviewers merit score in Publons.
· Only Indian to review 150 plus manuscripts for the prestigious “Journal of Endodontics” which is an official journal of American Association of Endodontists.
- One of the eminent academics in the world to opine about universities in the 2020 QS Global Academic Survey- Ajman University, UAE.
· Authored two chapters in “Essentials of Endodontics”, Quintessence Science Communication Pvt. Ltd.
· International awards:
1) Marquis Who's Who in the World -2009 edition-U.S.A
2) 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century 2009/2010- International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England
3) Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing (one of the top ten reviewer in the world)- Elsevier and American Association of Endodontists, USA- 2014
4) Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing (one of the top ten reviewer in the world) - Elsevier and American Association of Endodontists, USA- 2016
5) Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Investigator- Vista Dental, USA- 2017
6) Publons Peer Review Award, New Zealand, for one of the top 10 reviewer in the world in the field of Dentistry, 2017.
7) Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing (one of the top ten reviewer in the world)- Elsevier and Journal of Dentistry, 2017.
8) Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing (one of the top ten reviewer in the world)- Elsevier and Journal of Herbal Medicine, 2018.
9) Publons Peer Review Award, New Zealand, for one of the top 1% reviewer in Clinical Medicine in the world, 2018.
10) Publons Peer Review Award, New Zealand, for one of the top 1% reviewer in Clinical Medicine in the world, 2019.
1) “Innovative Materials & Techniques in Endodontics”- Dentistry in the light of Innovation- Ribeirão Preto, Brazil- 29th-31st August 2012.
2) “Recent advances in root canal irrigants”- 14th IACDE/IES PG Convention, Dharwad- 7-9 June 2013.
3) “Root canal irrigants- Curb the Curls”- CAESOK 4th PG convention and 12th Midterm meet, Trissur, Kerala-15-16 March 2014.
4) “Recent advances in root canal irrigation”- Clinical Society Meeting, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai- 18th September 2014.
5) “Current trends in root canal disinfection”- Recapituation- Evolving trends, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai- 19th September 2014.
6) “Research Methodology- Navigate intricacies, Create possibilities”- RESTOR ENDOII, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore- 29th June 2016.
7) “Scientific Writing” -Nurture thoughts, Venture possibilities- Meet the Experts,
Seminar Series, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal- 15th October 2016.
8) “Craft of Scientific Writing”- Focus on possibilities, Create Opportunities- Department of Biochemistry, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal- 17th October, 2016.
9) “Endodontic Irrigants- An Update”- 3rd PG Colloquium, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai- 7th August 2017.
10) “EPISTEMICS” - Craft of Scientific Writing- Manipal College of Dental Sciences,
Manipal- 4th May 2018.
11) “Scientific Writing”- Post graduate Orientation Programme, Manipal College of
Dental Sciences, Manipal, 7th June 2018.
12) “Endodontic Irrigants- An Update”- International Conference on Dentistry and Oral
Health, Bangkok, Thailand, 3rd- 4th September, 2018.
13) “Root Canal Irrigating Systems- Tools vs Gadgets”- 33rd IACDE National Conference, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, 16-18th November, 2018.
14) “Cues and Craft of Scientific Writing”- A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore, 19th February 2019.
15) “Endodontic Irrigants- An Update (Evidence Based)”- Trivandrum Endodontic Society, Kerala, 17th April 2019.
16) “Journal Club Presentation”- Post graduate Orientation Programme, Manipal College
of Dental Sciences, Manipal, 14th May 2019.
17) “Recent Advances in Root Canal Irrigants”- “ENDO MEET 2019”- IDA Udupi District Branch, Udupi, 21st July 2019.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Conservative Dentistry||Second semester, BDS|
|Dental Materials||Second semester, BDS|
|Endodontics||Fourth semester, BDS|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD (Doctorate of Philosophy)||MCODS, Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka||2011|
|MDS (Masters of Dental Surgery)||Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics||MCODS, Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka||2004|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||SDMCDS, Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka||1998|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Manipal||Additional Professor||January, 2013|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics,||Associate Professor||July, 2009|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Manipal||Reader||July, 2007|
|Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MCODS Manipal||Assistant Professor||July, 2004|
Antimicrobial action of chlorhexidine and calcium hydroxide
17th FODI, 10th IES conference, Mangalore, 12-15 November, 2002.
Antimicrobial action of chlorhexidine and calcium hydroxide-II
4th All India PG convention, Hyderabad, 9-11 May, 2003.
In vitro sustained release of calcium hydroxide ions and ph maintenance from different vehicles containing calcium hydroxide
24th FODI, 17th IES conference, Cochin, Kerala, 13-15, November 2009.
Susceptibility of candida albicans and enterococcus faecalis to chitosan, chlorhexidine gluconate and their combination
20th South East Asia Association for Dental Education, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 23-24, November, 2009.
Esthetic rehabilitation of extensive erosive lesions caused by cola soft drink by a multidisciplinary approach- A case report
4th national conference of Indian society of prosthodontics, restorative, periodontics, Dharwad, 22-24, July 2011
Esthetic rehabilitation of a disfigured tooth
5th national conference of Indian society of prosthodontics, restorative, periodontics, Mangalore, 24- 26 August, 2012.
Wettability of root canal sealers on intraradicular dentin treated with different irrigating solutions- FDI/CDA/SLDA joint international conference and 80th anniversary annual scientific sessions of Sri Lanka Dental Association
Sri Lanka, 28-30 June, 2013.
Carious fused teeth- Esthetic management
18th FODI, 11th IES conference, Varanasi, 1-3 November, 2003. Knockout the smear layer with acid wash, 19th FODI, 12th IES conference, Bangalore, 7-9 January, 2005.
Anatomy and clinical applications of Mandibular nerve
Poster presentation at 22nd SEAADE annual meeting on 29-30th October 2011 held at Singapore.
The effect of chlorine dioxide on Enterococcus faecalis at exponential, stationary and starvation phase in human root canals
Poster presentation at 26th IADR annual scientific meeting on 3-4th November 2012 held at Hong-Kong.
Comparison of antimicrobial efficacy of Withania somnifera, sodium hypochlorite,Triphala against Enterococcus faecalis biofilms
Poster presentation at 2nd meeting of IADR asia pacific region meeting on 21-23rd august 2013 held At Bangkok.
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Area of Expertise
Area of Research
Smear layer, irrigating solutions, endodontic disinfection
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Editorial board member of 17 international journals.
- Reviewer of 54 international journals.
- Has been nominated as “outstanding reviewer” of Journal of Endodontics, which is the top journal in endodontic specialty with an impact factor of 2.7.
- Has received two international awards: a) Marquis Who's Who in the World -2009 edition-U.S.A b) 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century 2009/2010- International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England
- Has got 141 citations with “H index” of 7.
- Has performed collaborative studies with 6 international universities.
- Has authored a chapter on smear layer in “Essentials of Endodontics” text book published by Quintessence Science Communication.
.Comparison of the efficacy of maleic acid and ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid in smear layer removal from instrumented human root canal
An SEM study- Journal of Endodontics 2009;35(11):1573-1576.
In vitro sustained release of calcium ions and pH maintenance in the local vicinity from different vehicles containing calcium hydroxide
Journal of Endodontics 2010;36(5) 862-866
Evaluation of chemical interactions of maleic acid with sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine gluconate
. Journal of Endodontics 2011;37:1402-1405. +Shriram Pathak
Wettability of root canal sealers on intraradicular dentin treated with different irrigating solutions.
+ Franklin R Tay
Effect of maleic acid and ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid on the shear bond strength of RealSeal SE sealer to root canal dentin
European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2013;21(4):152-156
Non Surgical Management of Large Periapical Lesions Using Calcium Hydroxide - A Report of Two Cases
2016-18-10 Nidambur Vasudev Ballal Isha Jain
The Journal of Dentist, 2016, 4, 24-29
Endodontic Management of Aberrant Root Canal Anatomy in Premolars - A Report of Two Cases
Journal of Dental Problems and Solutions 3(1):008-011.
Evaluation of Chlorine Dioxide Irrigation Solution on the Microhardness and Surface Roughness of Root Canal Dentin
The European journal of prosthodontics and restorative dentistry 23.3 (2015): 135-40.
Evaluation of antifungal efficacy of 5% doxycycline hydrochloride, 2.5% sodium hypochlorite, 17% ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate against candida albicans- An invitro study
2005-01-01 Dr Himani Lau
Determination of calcium loss and its effect on micro-hardness of root canal dentin following treatment with 17% ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid solution at different time interval- an invitro study
2006-01-01 Dr Deepa
Comparison of the efficacy of maleic acid and ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid in smear layer removal from instrumented human root canal- A scanning electron microscopic study
2007-01-01 Dr Sreenesh Kandian
Comparative evaluation of antifungal efficacy of cymbopogan citratus
2010-01-01 Dr Adlyn Tweeny
Comparative evaluation of accuracy of two electronic apex locators with radiograph- An ex vivo study
2011-01-01 Dr Deepika