Manipal Centre for Humanities (MCH) is a leading research and teaching institute based in Manipal, Karnataka. It offers an undergraduate program in the Humanities and postgraduate and doctoral degrees in English and Sociology. As one of the most exciting academic experiments in higher education in India, MCH fosters a culture of innovative and reflexive pedagogy, intellectual freedom, student initiatives, and new directions in scholarship.
- The only interdisciplinary department in the country offering Master's and Doctoral degrees in English and Sociology
- Innovative theme-based courses such as Reading and Writing, Text and Traditions, Gender and Sexuality
- Research-oriented pedagogy (not exam-based)
- One-on-one training in writing research papers
- Hosts national and international conferences with universities such as Princeton University
- Good placement record and many of our students have gone on to Ivy League universities
- Introduce a culture of humanities and liberal arts at Manipal Academy of Higher Education, thereby promoting a vibrant intellectual climate
- Establish a sound research culture through the aegis of this Centre
- Promote original understanding of contemporary Indian society and culture
- Enable rigorous study of contemporary sociology, arts, and interdisciplinary studies
- Catalyze the study and dissemination of Indian philosophical and cultural traditions
- Contribute to the overall value of education offered by MAHE
- Establish a strong Humanities Library at Manipal which will be accessible to all members of the MAHE community
- Internationally renowned faculty expertise
- Research Centre
- Emphasis on innovative pedagogy
- Close mentoring of students
- Library Assets
- Princeton University, US
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Canada
- Sutasoma Trust, UK
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- The Great Britain Philosophy of Education Group
- Indian Council of Philosophical Research
- Attakalari Centre for Movement Arts
- Ninasam Theatre Group
Inspired by international liberal arts programs, all courses at MCH encourage original thinking, engaging with the latest scholarship and developing writing & communication skills.
Highly Qualified Faculty
Faculty at MCH have trained at some of the leading universities in India and abroad. Engaged in pioneering research, which contributes to their teaching, MCH faculty have published extensively, both nationally and internationally.
MCH hosts several national and international workshops/ conferences/ seminars/ symposiums. Students get an opportunity to listen to and interact with top scholars in their field.
Vibrant Student Life
MCH has a diverse student population from some of the best colleges across the country. International students have come from countries such as France, Iran, Peru, Australia, Czech Republic, Italy, and Thailand.
MU has best-in-class facilities for students of all constituent institutes
Access to hospital facilities gives student hands-on training.
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre facilitates multi-disciplinary research.
Laboratories give students the opportunity for practical experience.
Sports & Fitness
Marena has world-class facilities with courts for badminton, tennis, soccer & squash, as well as a well-equipped gymnasium.
Libraries give students access to study resources, digital, and print.
Student hostels are their homes away from homes.
MAHE is where people are motivated to acquire knowledge and engage the world around them.
Rahul Babu Kodali
MAHE has provided a great platform for all students to explore themselves – personally and professionally.
Manipal is a place which moulded my character and made me what I am today.
Interacting with people from all over the world in a free environment has helped me become receptive to change.
Best-in-class infrastructure and a curriculum that makes learning fun – Manipal is the place to be.
My teachers are my mentors. They have helped me grow academically and personally.