The School of Life Sciences (SOLS), Manipal established in 2002, became an independent identity in 2006 and is one of the top biotechnological institutes of the country.
SOLS is identified as TIFAC-CORE (Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council Centres of Relevance & Excellence) under vision 2020 in the area of Pharmacogenomics. It actively promotes advanced research in India and abroad, supported by DBT, GOI in Translational Medicine, ICMR, DST, BRNS and several other industry partners.
The mission statement of the centre is to engage in cutting edge research, training, education and offer help to the community in the field of human health.
- State-of-the-art research infrastructure, well qualified researchers & faculty and nationally and internationally acclaimed research and translational programs related to human health
- Supported by FIST, Government of India
- Program Supports from Department of Biotechnology, Government of India in Translational Research
- Selected under K-FIST program
- Selected as BT finishing school by Govt of Karnataka
Areas of Research
- Radioresponse of cells: Cellular and molecular understanding of radio sensitivity of normal and tumour cells
- Rodiomoldulation: Radiation sensitisation of tumour cells and radioprotection of normal cells
- Anticancer drug screening: Synthetic, natural products and development of drug delivery systems (microspheres & liposomal) for improved antitumour effect
- Radiation biodosimetry: Development of assays for radiation biodosimetery and with conventional methodologies (dicentric chromosome assay, micronuclei assay, single cell gel electrophoresis assay (comet ), filter elution, and gH2AX foci analysis. Influence of individual radiosensitivity in biodosimeteric estimations
- Development of predictive and prognostic assays for the assessment of clinical radio response
- Low dose radiation and bystander effect
- Molecular basis for normal tissue radio response with acute and chronic normal tissue toxicity after radiotherapy.