CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Involved in various teaching activities, which include: Teaching of undergraduate medical and paramedical students, both theory lectures and tutorials.
Takes about 1 lecture class per week and teaching sessions in the operating room.
Actively participates in postgraduate teaching programs like general clinics, seminars, and journal clubs that will come to around 40 contact hours.
Also actively involved in organizing teaching programs of department.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Anaesthesiology||7th & 8th|
|Diploma in Anaesthesia|
|MD in Anaesthesia|
|Anaesthesiology for Dental Students|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MD||Anaesthesiology||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||1995|
|MBBS||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||1989|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Mangalore||Professor||May 2014 till date|
|KMC, Mangalore||Professor & Head||June 2017 - June 2022|
|KMC, Mangalore||Associate Professor||Oct.2005 to May 2014|
|KMC, Mangalore||Assistant Professor||Oct. 2000 to Oct. 2005|
|Royal Infirmary, Dumfries, Scotland, U.K||Clinical attachment in Dept. of Anaesthetics||Sept. 97 to Feb.98|
|Mangala Hospital, Mangalore||Resident in anaesthesiology||June 95 to July 96|
|KMC, Mangalore||Postgraduate resident||Jan 92 to Dec 94|
|Mangala Hospital, Mangalore||Resident Medical Officer||Sept 90 to Feb 91|
|KMC, Mangalore||Senior House Officer in Dept. of Medicine||June 90 to Aug 90|
|Wenlok Hospital, Mangalore||House Officer||March 89- March 90|
faculty and Scientific Committee Chairman for CME “PG Excel”
8 -9 January, 2011,conducted by the Dept. of Anaesthesiology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, KMCHAT.
presented Interactive Session and Discussion on Diabetes Mellitus and Anaesthesia
“PG Excel”, CME.
The 9th SAARC-AA Conference presented two papers and Chaired a Session on Management of one Lung Ventilation
26-28 August, 2011.
as the Scientific Committee Chairman.
Organising secretary for” KMC-MAC 2013” CME,
Dept. of Anaesthesia, KMC Mangalore.
Conducted BLS programme for BDS students
Attended Airway Ahead CME and workshop on Difficult Airway
Father Muller Medical College.
Participated as faculty, The 6th National Conference AOACON
4-6 October, 2013, delivered a lecture on Musculoskeletal Disorders and Pregnancy; What are the implications?
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Pediatric and Orthopedic anaesthesia, Pain Management
Area of Expertise
Pediatric and Orthopedic anaesthesia, Pain Management
Area of Research
Anaesthesia and peri-operative management; post-operative analgesia; intensive care; pain therapy.
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists, 2000.
- Life Member of Indian Association of Palliative Care, 2008.
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association, 2000.
- Life Member of Association of Medical Consultants, 2013.
- Involved in organizing Department CMEs conducted by our department.
- Internal Quality Auditor in hospital quality team. [ISO]
- Instructor for American Heart Association recognized BLS & ACLS courses at Manipal University.
- Safety Committee Convener for K.M.C. Hopsital, Attavar
- Fellowship in Palliative Care, Indian Association of Palliative Care (IAPC), 2008
- Serum electrolyte changes during TURP using 1.5% glycine- at ISACON-2002 Coimbatore.
- Cardiac arrest following spinal anaesthesia-A case report- at ISACON- 2002 Coimbatore.
- Anaesthetic management of non-thyroid surgery in a hypothyroid patient-A case report- at ISACON- 2006 Mysore.
- Risk factors assessment of the difficult intubation-A prospective observational study- at 24th SZISACON- 2008 Mangalore.
- A Comparison of the analgesic effect of intravenous nalbuphine and tramadol in patients with postoperative pain – A study – at 9th SAARC AA Conference at Bangalore 2011.
- Comparison of 2 units and 5 units oxytocin bolus doses in patients undergoing elective caesarean section – A study – at 9th SAARC AA Conference at Bangalore 2011.
- Effects of Esmolol on haemodynamic responses to laryngoscopy and tracheal intubation in diabetic and non diabetic patients – at Tamilnadu state conference at Trichy 17 Nov 2013.
Top five publications of Dr. Shaila S Kamath:
1. Asish AM, SS Kamath, To Compare the efficacy of Dexamethasone with Levobupivacaine versus fentanyl with levobupivacaine on duration of analgesia after supraclavicular brachial plexus blockade. Indian journal of Public health research & development, June, 2019:10:(6), 263-268.
2. DK Bharathwaj, SS Kamath, Comparison of dexmedetomidine versus propofol-based anaesthesia for controlled hypotension in functional endoscopic sinus surgery Southern African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia 2019; 25(2): 37-40.
3. DS Prajwal, SS Kamath, AF Faiaz Comparison of efficacy and safety of Intrathecal ropivacaine-Fentanyl and Bupivacaine-Fentanyl in Lower Abdominal and lower limb surgeries, Ambulatory surgery Dec 2019: 114-117.
4. Zamir ZS, Suresh Y V, SS Kamath Comparison of Conventional and Lateral Approach to Supraclavicular Brachial Block. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, August 2019:10:8:759.
5. Sai Kaushik P, SS Kamath, Surendra U Kamath A comparison between intra-articular 0.2% ropivacaine and 0.25% bupivacaine for post-operative analgesia following day-care arthroscopic knee surgeries Asian J pharm clin res :11:(2) Feb-Mar 2018:422-426.
2011-01-01 Dr Shaik Gulam Osmani
Effects of Esmolol on Haemodynamic responses to Laryngoscopy and Tracheal Intubation in Diabetic and Non-Diabetic patients.