CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Theory and clinical practice for MBBS 8th semester and students in internship
- Theory and clinical practice for DNB Psychiatry residents
- Field Practicum Training for Master’s in Social Work Students posted at the department.
Mariella D’souza teaches MBBS and postgraduate students.
She is field practicum trainer for Masters of Social Work Students. Currently, she teaches:
Tenure – 22 years and 2 months.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Psychiatric Social Work|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MPhil||Master in Philosophy Psychiatric Social Work||NIMHANS, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore, Bangalore University||1989|
|MSW ( Master in Social Work)||Medical and Psychiatric Social Work||School of Social Work, Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore||1986|
|B.A. (Bachelor of Arts)||St. Agnes College, Mangalore||1984|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Psychiatry, KMC Mangalore||Lecturer - Selection Grade||29/04/2003 - till date|
|Department of Psychiatry, KMC Mangalore||Lecturer - Senior Grade||10/09/1999 - 28/04/2003|
|Department of Psychiatry, KMC Mangalore||Lecturer||10/09/1991 - 09/09/1999|
|Family Counselling Centre, Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore||Counsellor||1989-1991|
|Family Service Agency, Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore||Social Worker||1986-1987|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Children and adolescents with emotional and behavioural issues and Sexuality issues, Terminally ill, HIV positive individuals and their families, Substance Abuse, Depression and Anxiety related Disorders and Rehabilitation.
Area of Expertise
Counselling people with mood and anxiety disorders, adjustment and behavioural problems, Terminally ill and Alzheimer’s Dementia and their caregivers, HIV positive individuals and their families, and Substance Abuse patients
Area of Research
Caregivers of HIV positive individuals and Dementia patients, Chronic Mentally ill, Sexuality issues, Stress related issues
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Indian Society of Professional Social Workers, 2008
- Life Member of Indian Association of Palliative Care Society, 2008
- Life Member of World Association of Psycho-social Rehabilitation, 2002
- Recieved 'Best Paper Award' for the paper titled “Assessment Of Quality Of Life In HIV Positive Individuals On Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy” at the Annual National Conference of The Indian Society of Professional Social Workers held from 28 January to 30 January 2008 at Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore
- Presented paper titled - “A Comparative Study On The Marital Adjustment In HIV Positive And HIV Negative Wives Of HIV Infected Husbands”, by Mariella D’souza, Latha K S presented at the XXXI Annual Conference of Indian Society for Professional Social Work held on 3rd to 5th January, 2013 Manipal, Karnataka
- Counselling advisor to the Chiranthana Home for senior citizens, Surathkal, Mangalore
- On the panel of experts for De-stress Helpline and Childline, Mangalore
- A member of the sub committee of the District Mental Health Committee
- Conducted various awareness programmes at the Department of Psychiatry on mental health and related aspects
- Delivered various talks to students, teachers, Mahila Mandal Members, NGOs, Social Work students, Bank employees, IT employees, on topics related to various aspects of mental health and its promotion.
- Awarded a certificate of recognition for promotion of social work education for being a field practicum instructor for the MSW students of the college of public affairs and community service, University of Nebraska.
- Presented a paper on ‘Field Work Training in Psychiatric Social Work’ at the National symposium on Training in Psychiatric Social Work at NIMHANS, Bangalore from 1 – 3 February 1995.
- Delivered an invited lecture on ‘Rehabilitation Efforts in Mangalore’ at the 1st workshop on Psycho-social Rehabilitation of the Chronic Mentally Ill conducted by the Fr. Muller’s Medical College, Mangalore from 9 – 10 March 2002.
- Presented a paper on ‘Role of a Psychiatric Social Worker’ at the seminar on Social Work Profession and Mental Health conducted by the Alva’s College of Social Work from 10 – 11 January 2003.
- Participated in a panel discussion on Suicide and presented a paper titled ‘Psycho-social Management of Suicide’ at the seminar on Psychiatry for
- Social Workers at M. V. Shetty College of Social Work, Mangalore on February 2, 2003.
- A guest speaker for the Inservice Education Programme on Ward Management for the 2nd year post certificate B.Sc nursing students of Fr. Muller’s College of Nursing from 7 – 9 August 2003.
Physical Abuse of Children
Little Flower Child Counselling Centre, Souvenir
Basic Concepts of Addictions
Mukthi- Addiction management, the link 10th Anniversary Souvenir
Rehabilitation of the Mentally Ill - The Need of the Hour
Roshni Journal of Professional Social Work Vol. 1, No : 1, October 2002.
Alcohol addiction, a family disease
Kripa Foundation 10th Anniversary Souvenir, March 2004
Evaluation and Intervention of Quality of Life in Individuals with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy : A Quantitative Cross - Sectional Content Analysis
May- Aug 2013; Journal of Psychiatric Nursing Vol 2, No 2 (2013) Authors: P Kumar Senthil, Prabha Adhikari, P S Jeganathan, Z K Misri Foot and ankle dysfunction secondary to peripheral nerve damage is the most common microvascular complication in individuals with diabetes mellitus. This study aimed to perform a systematic review and quantitative content analysis of articles emphasizing Quality of life (QoL) in people with Diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain (DPNP) and Painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy (PDPN).
Factors Related to Life Satisfaction, Meaning of Life, Religiosity and Death Anxiety in Health Care Staff and Students; A Cross Sectional Study from India
Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences , Vol.12, Issue-2 Apr-June 2013; Authors: Latha K S, Sahana M, Subbannayya K, Asha K.
A comparative study on knowledge, attitude and practice of sexual activities among college going students of various under graduate courses
The affect of non-motor symptoms on quality of life in parkinsons patients and the psycho-social burden on their caregivers
2012-01-01 Akanksha Bansal