CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides medical post graduate students research,undergraduate students in their Short Term Studentship (STS) projects of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- is involved as a resource person for workshops on Research Methodology, Biostatistics & Clinical Trials
- Trains medical interns in preventive and curative services
- Has earlier trained Medical Officers of Primary Health Centers, district level teams of Prevention of Parent –to-Child Transmission of HIV (PPTCT), representatives of national Service Scheme, College & School children, Senior Citizens, Anganwadi workers, members of self- help groups.
- Was the Editor-in Chief of “Indian Journal of Community Health”
- Is in-charge of general clinic of Urban Health Center, Malpe
Dr Shashi Joyce Soans teaches undergraduate and post graduate students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Community Medicine||MBBS||3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th semester|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MBBS||Mysore Medical College||1988|
|BSc (Bachelor of Science)||Botany, Zoology, Chemistry||1982|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||01/12/2007 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||13/11/1998 to 30/11/2007|
|CSI Lombard Memorial Mission Hospital, Udupi||Medical Officer, Community Health Project||22/08/1994 to 31/10/1998|
|KMC, Manipal||PG cum tutor||13/08/1990 to 18/12/1993|
|Fr. Muller’s Charitable Institutions, Mangalore||Senior House Officer||01/11/1988 to 01/02/1990|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Epidemiological Intelligence TB HIV Mental health (Positive psychology) ,Diabetes Ethno pharmacology Adolescent health
Area of Expertise
TB HIV Mental health (Positive psychology) Diabetes ,Adolescent health
Area of Research
TB Adolescent health Mental health (Positive psychology)
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association, the Vice president of Udupi-Manipal Branch 2007-2008, 07.09.2005.
- Life Member of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine, 2003.
- Life Member of Indian Public Health Association, 2008.
- Vice Patron Member of Indian Red Cross Society, Trainer of First Aid, 2011.
- Life Member of Karnataka Association of Community Health, Executive committee member 2007-2011, 2005.
Effectiveness of educational program to promote pesticide safety among pesticide handlers in South India
International Archives Occupational and Environmental Health.
Prevalence and pattern of mental disability using Indian Disability Evaluation Assessment Score in a rural community in Karnataka
Indian Journal of Psychiatry 50(1), January-March, 2008, 21-23.
Quality of rehabilitation services to disabled in a rural community of Kin Karnataka
Indian Journal Community Med Medicine, 33(3), 198-200.
Epidemiology of disability in a rural community of Karnataka
Indian Journal of Public health, 52(3) July 2008, 125-129.
Community awareness of flood preparedness and impact of health education on it
Review of Global Medicine and Healthcare Research, 2(1), 29-57.
Reasons for patient delays and health system delays for Tuberculosis in South India
Indian Journal of Community Health, Vol 23, No 2, July-December, 2011.
A Cross-sectional Study on Nutritional Status of Children in the Field Practice Area of a Medical College
Page 113-132. Proceedings of the International Conference on Millennium Development Goals Related to Reproductive Health: Status, Challenges and Future Directions. (ISBN No. 978-81-910540-3-32).
Functional Impairments: A Study in Elderly Individuals.
Journal of International Medical Sciences Academy” April - June 2011; 24(2):61-64.
A prevalence of disability in rural field practice area of Kasturba Medical College
2014-01-01 Dr Ganesh
A study of prevalence of disability and ocular morbidity in 6-9 years old children in rural field practice area of Kasturba Medical College
2014-01-01 Dr George Jacob
Health seeking behaviour of pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Udupi Taluk-A community based cross sectional study
2014-01-01 Dr Kapil Goel
Assessment of the impact of public education in pesticide safety on targeted population by KAP analysis
2014-01-01 Hira Andrade
A study on beneficiaries perception of ICDS scheme in the field practice area of KMC, Manipal
2014-01-01 Dr Kalyan Chakravarthy
Knowledge attitude and practice of breast feeding among working women in Udupi Taluk, Karnataka
2014-01-01 Anudeep Jassal
Community Awareness of flood preparedness and impact of health education on it
2014-01-01 Neethu Mary Mathew
A cross sectional study on socio demographic profile and circumstances which lead the children to be child labourers in urban Manipal, Karnataka
2014-01-01 Pratap Ododra
August 15, 2008, page 3.
July 30, 2008 page 4.
April 25, 2011.