The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) (renamed on March 1, 2022) was established in the year 1960 as Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (MME). It is the largest Department in the Institute, comprising two undergraduate and three postgraduate programs. Over the years, the Department has developed to become a centre of excellence, providing in-depth technical knowledge and opportunities for innovation and research. Innovative teaching methods, Industrial collaborations, state-of-the-art infrastructural facilities are the strength of the Department. The Department has a strong research interest in diverse areas of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and offers PhD Program as well. The focussed research areas of the Department are Materials, Design, Thermal, Manufacturing and Industrial & Systems Engineering. Moreover, the Department is recognized as Quality Improvement Program (QIP) minor Centre by MHRD, Govt of India, which has boosted the Department's research activities.
The Department offers Minor Specialization in "Design Engineering, Thermal Engineering, Materials Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Vehicle Technology, Automation & Robotics, Quality Engineering and Computer Techniques in Mechanical Engineering" to Undergraduate students of B.Tech Mechanical Engineering.
The Department also offers Minor Specialization in "Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) and Computer Organization and Coding" to Undergraduate students of B.Tech Industrial Engineering.
Department Vision and Mission
"Excellence in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering education through innovative practices and teamwork."
Educate students professionally to face societal challenges by providing a healthy learning environment grounded well in the principles of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, promoting creativity and nurturing teamwork.
Department Areas of Expertise
- Materials Engineering: Materials science, also known as Materials Science and Engineering, is a multidisciplinary field that deals with discovering and designing new materials. We at the department have a research group specialising in Heat Treatment of Metals and Composites, Machinability and Deformation Behaviour of Metals and Composites, Material Characterization, Hygrothermal Aging and Degradation Behavior of Composites, Drilling of Composites, etc.
- Design Engineering: Design engineering plays a key role in successfully developing any product or system in real-life applications. The department supports the faculty, scholars and students with well-equipped hardware and computerized laboratories to constantly engage in design-related research activities for addressing the problems in engineering and non-engineering domains. The key research areas of the faculty in the design engineering domain are Fluid Film Bearings, Ocular Tribology, Tribology of Polymers, Fluid-Structure Interaction, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Finite Element Methods, Vibration, Viscoelasticity, Magnetorheological Smart Devices, Experimental Modal Analysis, Passive Magnetic Bearings, Rotor Dynamics, Bearing Diagnostics, Vibration Signal Processing and Analysis, Application of Soft Computing Techniques to Engineering, Design for Manufacturing and Fatigue & Fracture of Materials.
- Thermal Engineering: Thermal engineering is at the forefront of today's space, defence, marine, power plants, and renewable energy research, offering a challenging and exciting professional career. The department houses a research team specialized in Solar Energy Conversion, Heat Exchanger Design, Turbomachinery, Biofuels, Microfluidics and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), which are among the key areas of academic and industrial research. We also have a well-equipped Computational Laboratory for conducting simulation-related research activities and a thermal laboratory to undertake experimental research projects.
- Manufacturing Engineering: Manufacturing Engineering is closely associated with Mechanical Engineering, making it one of its core streams. The department has a state-of-the-art Workshop with a balanced blend of conventional, non-conventional and advanced machines, including CNC machines and 3D Printers. The department has an experienced team of faculty members and support staff with ample industrial experience mentoring students and researchers in mastering the intricacies of Manufacturing Technology, thereby supporting the Government's policies like Make in India and “Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- Industrial & Systems Engineering: Industrial and Systems Engineering is responsible for improving the efficiency of products and processes irrespective of the manufacturing and service sector domain. The Department has a well-equipped computerized laboratory facility for researching Industrial & Systems Engineering. The group researches Operations Research, Operations Management, Work Systems Engineering, Ergonomics, Supply & Logistics Management, Quality Engineering and Simulation & Modelling Analysis.
The Department has MoU's with Maini Group, Everest Blowers, Rimtex Engineering Private Limited, Signet and Ingersol Rand.
The department provides dedicated lab facilities for running lab-associated courses to undergraduate/postgraduate/research programs in the following areas of Materials, Design, Thermal, Manufacturing & Industrial Engineering.
Computer Aided Design Lab: Computer Aided Drafting, Computer Aided Modelling, Computer Aided Analysis.
Mechanical Workshop: Lathe Operations, Shaper Machine Operations, Milling Operations, CNC Machining, Electro Discharge Machining.
Engine Lab: Fuel Properties, Engine Performance, Compressor & Blower Performance, Refrigeration Performance and Air Condition Performance.
Heat Transfer Lab: Conduction, Convection, Radiation and Heat & Mass Transfer Concept.
Computer Aided Industrial Engineering Lab: Operations Research Problem Solving, Operations Management Problem Solving, Simulation and Modelling Analysis.
Advanced Material Testing Lab: Material Engineering Properties, Optical Inspection of Materials, Friction and Wear study, Standard Specimen Preparation, Casting, Heat Treatment.
Metrology and Measurements Lab: Calibration of Measuring Instruments, Measurement Of Thread Profile, Gear Profile and Linear Dimensions, Surface Irregularity Measurement, Straightness Measurement, Angle Measurements, Radius Measurement.
Work System and Ergonomics Lab: Method Study, Time Study, Micromotion study, Human Factor in Engineering Design.
Quality Engineering Lab: Statistical Process Control, Process and Product Optimisation using Experimental Design Techniques.
Tribology & Vibration Lab: Lubricant Properties, Coating Properties, Bearing Performance, Vibration Characteristics
Thermal Lab: Heat Exchanger Analysis, Heat Augmentation Techniques.
Renewable Energy Center: Solar-Thermal Systems, Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems, Natural Circulation Systems, Thermal Energy Storage (TES) System, Wind Energy Conversion Devices
The department is well supported by the institute placement team. The placement team is headed by Associate Director (Industrial Liaison, Placement & Practice School) and oversees the entire placement process in the institution with the help of department coordinators. Students are provided with opportunities for Internships, Placements, Pre-placement offers (PPO) in core companies and ITES. Our students from Mechanical and Industrial Engineering get recruited by a wide range of companies like Adani Power, Baxter, Bosch, Daimler India, Delloitte DI Tech & PLM, Dyson Technology, Fiat India, Forbes Marshall, Goldman Sachs, Hero Motocorp, Indian Oil, JSW Steels, KPMG, L&T, Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra & Mahindra, Medcords, MRF Ltd., Quest Global, Tata Motors, Schneider Electric, Volvo, Textron, 3D Usher, Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, Amazon, Flipkart, Capgemini, Cognizant, Honeywell, Saint Gobain, Reliance, The Math Company and ZS Associates to name a few.
The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, MIT offers the following programs:
- BTech - Mechanical Engineering: BTech Mechanical Engineering (ME) is a four-year undergraduate engineering degree course offered by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. This course aims to prepare students to apply the laws and principles of science and mathematics to analyse, design, manufacture and maintain mechanical systems. The program offers subjects such as Theory of Machines, Thermodynamics, Material Science and Metallurgy, Mechanical Design, Computer-Aided Design & Manufacturing, Fluid Mechanics & Machineries, Finite Element Method, Heat Transfer etc. along with a great choice of program electives to strengthen the Mechanical Engineering Knowledge of the students. The labs with high-end software and advanced machinery keep students in sync with technological advances and prepare them for lifelong learning.
- BTech - Industrial Engineering: BTech Industrial Engineering (IE) is a four-year undergraduate engineering degree course offered by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. The course is a perfect blend of two majors Industrial Engineering and Systems Engineering & Production, also known as Manufacturing Engineering. The program structure offers subjects such as Facility Planning & Design, Work System Engineering, Operations Research, Operations Management, Simulation and Modelling Analysis, Quality Engineering, Manufacturing Process and Metrology & Measurements. Both traditional and computed aided laboratories well support the theory courses of the program.
- MTech - Computer-Aided Analysis and Design: MTech in Computer-Aided Analysis and Design (CAAD) is a two-year postgraduate specialisation degree course offered by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. The PG program focuses on strengthening the theoretical and practical knowledge of the students in the core areas of design and analysis so as to meet the needs of the industries as well as R&D organizations. The core objectives of the programme are to (a) Impart core concepts of Mechanical design to solve complex problems of society and industry, considering the ethical, legal and environmental issues (b) Provide comprehensive theoretical and hands-on experience in computer-based modelling, analysis and design of mechanical components and systems with a multi-disciplinary approach and (c) Promote a culture of research and publish research articles/technical reports associated with computer aided analysis and design of mechanical components and systems applied to multi-disciplinary domains.
- MTech - Manufacturing Engineering: MTech in Manufacturing Engineering (MFG) is a two-year postgraduate specialisation degree course offered by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. The PG program focuses on the requirements of the manufacturing industry broadly covering the major areas of manufacturing, production automation, production planning and control, product design, materials, machining processes and quality control. The curriculum has been framed drawing course contents from traditional fields such as materials and processes, manufacturing engineering, industrial engineering, up to the advanced fields such as CNC machining, metal forming, production automation systems, product design and manufacturing, etc. The course also trains the students to develop skills in the utilization of modern tools such as simulation, optimization, and statistical data analysis. Overall, the course planned here is committed to imparting lifelong learning, gaining leadership, improving managerial and team spirit skills to work effectively in various types of manufacturing industries.
- MTech - Thermal Sciences and Energy Systems: MTech in Thermal Sciences and Energy Systems (TSES) is a two-year postgraduate specialisation degree course offered by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. The PG program aims at providing sufficient theoretical knowledge in the thermal and fluid sciences combined with simulation and experimental skills applied to renewable energy systems, heat exchangers, and fluid dynamics research. The program aims to equip students to showcase their expertise in advanced research fields like computation fluid dynamics, refrigeration and cryogenics, solar thermal systems, design and analysis of thermal systems, and numerical methods. Additionally, to get acquainted with the operation of various thermal systems and usage of high-end instruments, thermal and renewable energy laboratory courses are part of the program, which majorly covers stability analysis, hybrid system analysis as well as energy and exergy analyses. Even the desired ethics in the profession is taught in research methodology, while the scope to opt for multidisciplinary courses widespread the research.
The department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering publishes Bi-annual E-Newsletter “News Links”, highlighting the departmental news, faculty and student’s achievements, recognition and awards, student club activities, and Alumni interactions.
Click the following links to view the E-Newsletter
World-class laboratories give learning a practical dimension
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre to facilitate multi-disciplinary research
Libraries have excellent resources for reference and study
Paper tree - A green initiative by MIT students of MUTBI
Wi-fi campus with modern computing and digital facilities
The areas of research are • Tribology • Computational Fluid Dynamics • Characterisation of Metals, Alloys and Composite materials • Machining of Metals, Alloys and Composite materials • Heat Treatment of Metals • Thermal Sciences • Renewable Energy Harvesting • Corrosion Engineering • Biomechanics • Non-Traditional Machining • Industrial Engineering • Supply Chain • Microfluidics • Electro kinetics
For me MAHE is a place with ample opportunities to grow professionally and personally.
Learning is an awesome experience at Manipal. This is the best place to be for students.
MAHE is giving us wings to fly and providing us with resources necessary to make it big in life.
MAHE has taught me the value of organisation and to be systematic in all my work.
My experience at MIT has been great from the beginning.
I’m glad I choose Manipal University.