Nanna Kanasu - Summer Camp for underprivileged students
April 18, 2017
As per guidance from the Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Udupi, Smt. Priyanka Mary Francis, summer camp for ~ 80 children (6-12 years old) was organised. These children are residents of the slums in Saralabettu, aka Bijapur colony, behind our KMC quarters, as well as Sagrinola area off Parampalli highway.
A few features of the program:
- Summer camp runs for ten days from April 18 – 27, 2017 from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Breakfast and lunch for students to be provided.
- Masters in Health Administration students under the guidance of Dr Naveen Kumar and Dr Anup Naha have developed a 10-day module to teach the students hygiene, health, manners and First Aid.
- Community volunteers are conducting activities like dance, theater, yoga, various games and origami.
- Volunteers from the Manipal School of Dental Sciences have arranged dental screening for all kids.
- A Lions Club member has arranged a movie outing at the INOX theater.
- With the kind support from Dr. GK Prabhu, MIT is hosting the students at the MIT Library Auditorium, AB5 and providing T-shirts to the students as part of our Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
- Shrikanth Rao from the MIT Cafeteria is providing subsidized breakfast and lunch to the students.
Even in the midst of emergency meetings to discuss the drought in Udupi, Smt. Priyanka Francis came to MIT yesterday and inaugurated the Summer Camp along with our Joint Director Dr. BHV Pai. Bringing students from these backgrounds to MIT will help them to aspire for higher goals and truly let them dream of a better life for themselves and become very valuable citizens of our community. This aspirational activity has only been possible with the strong support and encouragement from Dr GK Prabhu, Director MIT and Pro Vice Chancellor (Tech & Management), MU VSO, Manipal College of Dental Sciences and so many different teams from the Manipal Academy of Higher Education family. This program is also sponsored by the Government of Karnataka and the Lions Club of Manipal.