A Day online workshop on Modern Research Areas in Physics was organized on 16th November 2021 by the Department of Physics, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal. The focus of the workshop was to introduce modern research areas in physics to faculty and students. The workshop inauguration was presided by the joint director of MIT Manipal Prof. Somashekara Bhat in the presence of Dr. Mohan Rao K., Head, Department of Physics,
In the workshop following speakers gave talks on the following topics :
1. Life at microscopic scale - Dr. Ambarish Kunwar, IIT Mumbai
2. Challenges and Scopes in Particle Physics - Dr. Hemwati Nandan, GKV, Haridwar
3. Interest vs Career in Astrophysics - Dr. Debbijoy Bhattacharya, MCNS, MAHE, Manipal
4. Effect of Himalaya on India’s Climate - Dr. Chhavi P. Pandey, WIHG, Dehradun
5. Quantum Technologies as Future Technologies - Dr. Durga Bhaktavatsala Rao, Univesity of Sttutgart, Germany
Talks were followed by a panel discussion where participants directly interacted with all the speakers. More than two hundred participants from all over the country registered for the workshop. Dr. Akhilesh Ranjan and Dr. Bhaghyesh from the Department of Physics were conveners and co-convener of the workshop respectively.