Dr. Thammaiah hails from Virajpet of Kodagu district. He completed his MBA from University of Mysore in the year 1984. He then obtained his Ph.D in Finance from University of Mysore in the year 1991. On completing his masters Dr. Thammaiah started his career as Sales Officer at Manikya Plastichem Ltd in the year 1984. He moved up the ladder to hold the position of General Manager – Sales of Manikya Plastichem Ltd in the year 1993. In 1997 he moved to Pioneer Polyfab Ltd as Vice President - Sales for Industrial product and Agricultural products division.
In the year 1999, Dr. Thammaiah made mid-course career change to Academics and held the position of Professor & Head of JSS Centre for Management Studies. Later he was appointed as the Director of JSS centre for Management Studies and served the institution from 2001 – 2010. In 2010 he joined M.S. Ramaiah institute of Management Bangalore in the capacity of Dean and Director.
Presently, Dr. Thammaiah is the Director of Manipal Academy of Banking with 4 campuses at Bangalore and one at Jaipur. The Academy annually trains about 6500 probationary officers for 20 public and private sector banks and Insurance companies. In addition, it also trains annually about 12,000 officers in domain and functional specific areas of the Banks.
Dr Thammaiah also handled various consultancy project for World Bank, Government of India (Ministry of Rural Development) and Government of Karnataka. Major research based consultancy projects include:
· Technical, cost & social audit of a project undertaken by Minor Irrigation Department, Government of Karnataka
· Independent evaluation of the functioning and continued utility of the consumer disputes and redressal agencies in selected districts of Karnataka – for Ministry of Food and Civil Supplies Government of Karnataka
· Capacity Building for Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB)
· Identification of Capacity Building needs among stakeholders in the Karnataka Integrated Rural Water Supply & Environmental Sanitation Project for World Bank
· Concurrent Evaluation of Rural Development Schemes of Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India
· Design and Management consultancy for World Bank aided Karnataka Integrated Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency
· Study to identify revenue leakages in major mining activities in Karnataka (Department of mines and geology, GOK)
· Micro Finance Credit Delivery system for M/s Small Industries Development Bank of India.
He has a professional career spanning about 33 years. His functional competency include sales, project management, product development, academic delivery and people management. His academic specialization includes capital markets, risk management and derivatives.