Rules & Regulations
MESSAGE FROM CHAIRPERSON Mrs Vasanthi R. Pai
Manipal has grown into an international town with students from over 52 countries residing in MU Hostels. Approximately 10,000 students are residing in the MU Hostels. A happy mix of AC and Non-AC Single and Double rooms and a few dormitories to suit students from various strata of society. There is a dedicated team of officials and workers to make the stay of students comfortable and providing an ambience of ‘home away from home’. We follow the dictum, ‘Pursuit of Excellence’ in managing our hostels to make the stay memorable for our students.
HOSTEL RULES & REGULATIONS
RAGGING IN ANY FORM IS BANNED INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE CAMPUS. STRICT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN AGAINST THOSE INDULGING IN RAGGING. SUSPENSION AND OR WITHDRAWAL FROM THE HOSTEL/COLLEGE IS ONE OF THE ACTIONS TAKEN IMMEDIATELY. PUNISHMENT FOR RAGGING UNDER THE KARNATAKA EDUCATION ACT OF 1983 CAN BE UP TO ONE YEAR IMPRISONMENT. SUPREME COURT HAS ALSO DEFINED RAGGING AS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE.
MIT Ragging Squad Contact Numbers:
Director: 0820-2924012, 2571079
Joint Director : 9448857940
Chief Warden : 9902355227
Security Officer : 9448815452 / 9740691985
Associate Director (Student Welfare) : 9481019816
ALLOTMENT OF ACCOMMODATION
1. Hostel accommodation is allotted at the discretion of the Chief Warden on a “First Come First Served” basis / rank in the Entrance Exam. The allotment is done on condition that the student agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the hostel.
2. The Chief Warden can refuse hostel facilities without assigning any reason /remove a resident from the hostel at any time on disciplinary grounds, in which case, the student may even be required to vacate the room at short notice.
3. Students may also be required to shift to alternate accommodation at short notice due to administrative reasons.
4. No booking / reservation will be entertained on telephone/ E-mail.
(FOR FIRST YEAR STUDENTS)
The allotment procedure of hostels for First year students is through online. The students can apply for hostels only after their admission. The student will receive an email for the allotment procedure soon after confirming the admission. Click here for more information.
1. Students must occupy rooms allotted to them only. They are not allowed to change rooms without written permission of the Warden/Chief Warden. However, students have the option of pairing up within the first few days, in consultation with their Hostel Warden. Change of accommodation from one hostel to another is generally not permitted during a term.
2. The rooms allotted to the students at the time of admission are for a limited period of up to one year or less. If a student fails to occupy the allotted room within a specified time, it can be cancelled. Students will forfeit their rooms if they fail to clear all their dues to the hostel by the given day. In such cases, they will be asked to vacate the hostel.
3. The Chief Warden reserves the right to break open any room which is not vacated, pack up the belongings and store it. No complaints of breakage or loss will be entertained. The Chief Warden can also break open the rooms in case of any violation of hostel rules, suspected unlawful activities or on the basis of security risk perceived.
4. Once a student vacates the hostel, he/she will not be re-allotted hostel accommodation for a minimum period of six months. Every attempt will be made to provide hostel accommodation to all students. Residents who wish to vacate the hostel are to meet the Caretaker to start with the formalities. Permission of the parents and HOIs along with certain documentation is mandatory. The refund rules while vacating rooms are given at the end.
If there is a vacant seat in the room, the duplicate key of the room must be deposited with the caretaker of the block to facilitate allotment of the vacant seat to another student.
5. NO STUDENT SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM HIS/ HER ROOM DURING NIGHT, WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE WARDEN. STUDENTS, WHO WISH TO LEAVE THE CAMPUS TEMPORARILY OR OTHERWISE, SHOULD OBTAIN THE PERMISSION OF THE WARDEN IN WRITING. THE APPLICATION FOR PERMISSION MUST STATE, THE DATE AND TIME OF HIS/HER INTENDED DEPARTURE AND RETURN, AS WELL AS THE DESTINATION. ALL THESE DETAILS ARE TO BE ENTERED IN THE IN-OUT REGISTER MAINTAINED IN EVERY HOSTEL.
6. Pets of all kinds are prohibited inside the hostel. Feeding stray dogs or cats in the hostel premises is not permitted.
7. The students are advised not to keep large amount of cash or valuables in the room. The students are responsible for his/ her belongings inside the room.
8. Insurance of Laptops/ Valuables: It is the responsibility of the Hostel residents to get their laptops and valuables, if any, insured themselves.
9. Security of ATM/Debit cards: All residents must take care of their ATM/ Debit cards.
10. Any damage/breakage to hostel property will be charged to the occupants of the room/ block with a fine. Disciplinary action will also be initiated.
11. Cooking in hostel rooms is not permitted.
12. All instructions/ notices displayed on notice boards in the hostels will be deemed to have been read by all residents and excuses for non-compliance of rules and instructions put up from time to time will not be accepted.
13. SUBSTANCE ABUSE, CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL AND SMOKING / CHEWING OF TOBACCO AND RELATED PRODUCTS IS STRICTLY BANNED IN THE HOSTELS AND IN THE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS.
14. Playing of loud music or disturbing fellow hostel inmates will not be permitted. Use earphones while listening to music. Playing outdoor games inside the hostels/corridors is not permitted. Silence Hours will be observed from 10 p.m. to 06 a.m. on all days. No noise of any sort will be permitted during the Silence Hours. Serious action will be taken on the breach of this rule.
15. Partying in the rooms/corridors or anywhere in the hostel will not be permitted whatever be the occasion. Residents must not go to another’s room and disturb the inmates. Complaints from other residents will be investigated and action taken accordingly.
16. Fire Hazards and Safety: Candles and incense are a fire hazard and are not permitted in the hostels. Combustible materials such as gasoline, paint thinner and oil lamps are not permitted as well. BURSTING CRACKERS, CARRYING CRACKERS TO THE ROOMS AND LIGHTING OF LAMPS/CANDLES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN AND AROUND THE HOSTEL PREMISES AT ALL TIMES.
17. Residents must switch off all lights and fans, and electrical appliances including mosquito repelling machines, if any, before leaving their rooms. This is necessary to avoid inadvertent fire. In case of fire, residents must raise an alarm and call the hostel caretaker. They should also alert Manipal Security.
18. The Chief Warden/Warden or his representative may enter any room for verification at any time of the day or night. The management reserves the right to break open the rooms in case of violations of hostel rules, suspected unlawful activities and security risk cases or where the student is absent from his room for a long period without prior information or any valid reason. This will be carried out by the security personnel in the presence of the hostel Warden and at the discretion of the Chief Warden/ Warden. The items in the room will be listed by these officials and kept in the store room. A verbal report, followed by a written report will be sent to the higher authorities.
19. Proxy or dummy room-mates are forbidden. Strict action will be taken if accommodation is held as proxy. They are liable to be removed from the hostel. Residents are not permitted to allow their rooms to be used by others. All visitors and non-residents including students from other hostels must leave the hostel/ other students rooms during nights. No unauthorized person will be allowed to enter or stay in the hostel premises. If the residents happen to find any such person, they should demand the permit/ Identity Card. And if it is not forthcoming, the matter should be brought to the notice of the Warden.
20. All hostel inmates must report any disciplinary matter or problems concerning them or their room-mate/neighbor (s) coming to their notice to the Warden/ Chief Warden through block supervisor/ caretaker or directly. In case their room-mate is absent from the room or is sick / admitted in the hospital or is in any kind of physical/mental trouble or is indulging in any bad practices the same must be immediately brought to the notice of the Warden or the Chief Warden.
21. Televisions are not permitted in the hostel rooms. Television is provided in the common TV rooms in every hostel.
22. Giving the room keys to any person other than the Block Supervisors/ Caretakers/ Wardens, in good faith is at their own risk. The residents must lock the rooms and their lockers with their own locks. (Branded Lock should be used. Number locks are not be used)
23. Curfew and Out of Bound Areas
Hostel timings will be strictly adhered to. Library timings are up to 11.00 p.m. All senior residents will return to the hostel by 11.00 p.m. At 11.00 p.m. hostel gates will be closed. Students who wish to go to any place such as Railway station etc. for the night trains must take prior permission at least one day in advance from the Warden/ Chief Warden. Any student found loitering on the campus after 11.00 pm can be questioned by the Security staff. They are liable to surrender their I-card to security staff on duty.
24. The civil administration of Udupi-Manipal have fixed 11 p.m. as the time for closing down and anyone found thereafter in areas other than library are liable to be questioned/checked by the civil police authorities.
25. THE FIRST YEAR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS WILL RETURN TO THEIR HOSTELS BY 09.30 P.M. ALL OTHER SENIOR STUDENTS WILL RETURN TO HOSTELS BY 11.00 P.M.
26. Residents returning late to their hostels will be fined Rs.200/-. The HOIs and Parents of residents coming very late or who are habitual offenders will be informed. In acute cases the resident can be terminated from the Hostel.
27. Students from one hostel are not permitted to enter other hostels.
28. The entry of all males is strictly forbidden inside ladies’ hostel except on University official duty with valid passes. Likewise, ladies are not permitted to enter the gents’ hostels.
29. Waiting List for changing Hostels/ Rooms: Students desirous of shifting to different rooms within their present Hostels or wishing to shift to other Hostels must put their names in the ‘Waiting List’ being maintained at respective Hostels and the Chief Warden’s Office. Such students will be accommodated based purely on the waiting list seniority.
30. Vehicle and Parking: Students are not permitted to bring vehicles inside MIT campus.
31. Damage of Hostel Property
Any damage to hostel property will be made good by the residents who are responsible for such damage. This includes driving in of nails, defacing of walls, damage to fixtures and furniture. Fine will also be levied in addition to disciplinary action.
32. Maintenance of Rooms
The rooms have been distempered and painted as per schedule and will be maintained regularly by the management as per the maintenance schedule. Residents are not permitted to re-paint or do any alteration of any nature without the written permission of Chief Warden.
33. All maintenance complaints/requirements will be attended to by MSFM. Complaint(s) must be entered in the register(s) available with Block caretakers/Supervisors of their hostels. The complaints will be attended to expeditiously and are monitored by the Wardens/ Chief Warden. Residents are not permitted to employ any outsiders for any such job without the permission of Chief Warden.