The Department of Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge at MCODS Manipal was established in 1965. It offers diagnosis, treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, while ensuring comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth. It specialises in implant, aesthetic and reconstructive dentistry. Restoration of oral function is done through prostheses and restorations (i.e., complete dentures, crowns, implant retained/supported restorations).
The department focuses not just on patient care, but also gives equal emphasis to innovative teaching methodologies and research.
The Core competencies
- Removable prosthodontics
- Fixed prosthodontics
- Maxillo-facial prosthodontics
- Implant prosthodontics
- Advanced aesthetics
- Well-equipped laboratory to fabricate dentures and prosthesis, one for undergraduates and an air-conditioned laboratory for postgraduates
- Best-in-class infrastructure and faculty
- Teaching activities are designed to put students at par with their peers at reputed universities in India and abroad
- Department organises professional development programs to upgrade the knowledge of faculty and students
- Regular hands on programs for students facilitate insight into recent advances
- Free denture camps organised by the department expose the students to a variety of patients. Departmental library is adequately stocked with textbooks and internet facility
- Two well-equipped departmental laboratories, one for undergraduates and an air-conditioned laboratory for postgraduates
- Three air-conditioned labs for preclinical prosthodontic work, which caters to the need of 100 students and postgraduates
- A separate casting and ceramic lab with the latest equipment and material, capable of functioning as a commercial dental laboratory
- Recent materials and latest equipment like RVG, IPS Empress 2, Autoclave Uniclave C 79 B Confident, Hot Air Oven Kemi, High seed alloy grinder AG 04 (Ray Foster), Multimat NTX Press unit, Bego Vacuum mixer, Orion pressure moulding machine, Advanced surveyor has added to the new dimension in treatment planning.
Best-in-class infrastructure and faculty. Teaching activities are designed to put students at par with their peers at reputed universities in India and abroad.
Engages in both disciplinary and interdisciplinary research on Prosthodontics, Oral Implantology and Dental materials.
Free denture camps organised by the department expose the students to a variety of patients.
Labs & Facilities
It has world class facilities for training undergraduate and postgraduate students with a well-equipped laboratory to fabricate dentures and prosthesis.
Museum of Anatomy and Pathology
Dental materials laboratory is used for the undergraduate to train them on manipulation of various dental materials. The lab has the facilities such as temperature controlled water bath, vibrator, acrylizers, gas burners, etc.
Research & Publications
The areas of research include: • Bone graft materials • Antiplaque agents • Research on antioxidants • Platelet-rich fibrin