Department of Civil Engineering
Qualification: B.Sc., M.Sc. (Geology), Ph.D.(Marine Geology), PDF
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- MSc (Geology) course coordinator
Curriculum Vitae of Dr K Balakrishna
AWARDS & CITATIONS RECEIVED
- Received the Karnataka State award “Prof Satish Dhawan Young Engineer Award” for outstanding contributions in the area of Earth sciences instituted by the Government of Karnataka, in January 2013. Award carried a cash prize of Rs50,000, citation and memento.
- Awarded the prestigious Dr TMA Pai Endowment Chair in Earth Sciences by Manipal Academy of Higher Education. This carries an annual grant of Rs 10 lakhs to pursue advanced research and teaching. This Chair is awarded in recognition of my scientific accomplishments.
- Receieved outstanding researcher award Vision Group on Science and Technology (VGST), Government of Karnataka during the year 2021-22 for the best research publication in the area of Geology, Earth and Earth Science. The award included a cash prize of Rs 25,000.
- Received the Dr TMA Pai Gold Medal for co-authoring outstanding research publication during the year 2021. This was awarded by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal.
Member of the 37th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica. Spent 98 days at the Bharati station in Antarctica between November 2017 and March 2018, researching on the chemistry of sea-ice, water and wastewater.
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Earth and Environmental Science
Area of Expertise
Aqueous geochemistry, water pollution and health
Area of Research
(i) Geochemistry of rivers and estuaries (ii) Pollution of rivers, lakes and groundwater from the emerging contaminants (iii) Submarine groundwater discharge
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
Membership of professional organizations
- Life member and Fellow of the Geological Society of India
- Life Member of the Indian Geological Congress, Roorkee
- Member of the American Geophysical Union
- Member of the Geological Society of America
- Member of the International Association of Geochemistry, USA