CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
2. Guide of postgraduate students’ thesis or projects.
3. Diagnostics: In-charge of Respiratory Bacteriology, Molecular Lab & COVID lab.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Subject code||Semester / Year|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MD||Microbiology||Govt Medical College, Amritsar||2002|
|MBBS||Govt Medical College, Amritsar||1992|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor||15/Jun/2020 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor and Head||25/Apr/2015 to 14/Jun/2020|
|KMC, Manipal||Additional Professor||16/Jul/2012 to 24/Apr/2015|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||30/May/2009 to 15/Jul/2012|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||23/May/2003 to 29/May/2009|
Extramural Projects Done:
- Study of drug resistance in pulmonary tuberculosis cases with and without HIV-coinfection in Udupi district, coastal Karnataka - ICMR project 5/8/5/18/10-ECD-I
- Role of RT-PCR for the rapid diagnosis of MDR and XDR tuberculosis directly from clinical specimens in Indian set up - DBT project- DBT/PR15175/MED/29/252/2011
- Establishing TB portal of Mycobacterium tuberculosis patients from tertiary care hospital in Southern India – NIH project (Co-investigator)
- Enhancement of Detection of Paediatric TB cases (≤15 years) in Udupi TU after strengthening the skills of health care workers to perform induced sputum production: RNTCP Project
- Metagenomics characterization of lung Microbiome of pulmonary TB cases and its variation under the effect of ATT
- Paediatric house hold contact investigations for TB: Challenges and its burden, Karnataka – Central TB Division, MoHFW, Govt. of India
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Molecular Microbiology , Tuberculosis and Respiratory tract infections
Area of Expertise
Respiratory Bacteriology , Molecular Microbiology, Mycobacteriology
Area of Research
Tuberculosis , Respiratory infections and Community Health
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists.
- Fellow Member of International Medical Science Academy.
- Member of European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
- Life Member of Academy of Clinical Microbiologists.
Challenges Perceived by Health Care Providers for Implementation of Contact Screening and Isoniazid Chemoprophylaxis in Karnataka, India.
2021 Kiran Chawla Sharath Burugina Nagaraja Nayana Siddalingaiah Chidananda Sanju Vishnu Prasad Shenoy Uday Kumar Arundathi Das Druti Hazra Suresh Shastri Anil Singarajipur and Ramesh Chandra Reddy
Trop. Med. Infect. Dis. 2021; 6(167). https://doi.org/10.3390/tropicalmed6030167 (Q2)
The aftermath of COVID-19 pandemic on the diagnosis of TB at a tertiary care hospital in India.
Journal of Infection and Public Health 2021; 14(8):1095-8 (Q2)
Tubercular Lymphadenitis in the 21st Century: A 5 Year Single Center Retrospective Study from South India.
International Journal of Mycobacteriology 2021;10:162-5
A pilot study to evaluate urine LAM assay for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis among non-HIV patients.
Tropical Doctor 2020 DOI: 10.1177/0049475520936164
A prospective study of microbiological characterization and clinical facets of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections.
Iran. J. Microbiol. 2020; 12(4):313-318
Detection of Biofilm Production and Its Impact on Antibiotic Resistance Profile of Bacterial Isolates from Chronic Wound Infections.
J Global Infect Dis 2020;12:129-34
Genetic diversity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in south coastal Karnataka, India, using spoligotyping.
Indian Journal of Medical Research 2018; 147: 278-286
Anaerobic Bacteria in Clinical Specimens – Frequent, But a Neglected Lot: A Five Year Experience at a Tertiary Care Hospital.
2017 Padmaja Ananth Shenoy Shashidhar Vishwanath Ashwini Gawda Seema Shetty Renuka Anegundi Muralidhar Varma Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay Kiran Chawla
Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2017;11(7): DC44-DC48
Role of real-time PCR for detection of tuberculosis and drug resistance directly from clinical samples.
Indian Journal of Tuberculosis 2016;63:151-155
Role of PCR in the Diagnosis of Pulmonary and Extra-Pulmonary Tuberculosis.
National Journal of Laboratory Medicine 2015; 4(4): 64-7
Role of PCR for diagnosing Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in HIV infected individuals in a tertiary care hospital in India.
2011 Kiran Chawla Suganthi Martena Bimala Gurung Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay George K Varghese Indira Bairy
Indian Journal Pathology and Microbiology 2011;54(2):326-29
Book Chapter: “Biology of pathogenic bacteria”, Chapter – Actinobacteria diversity and biotechnological applications, Publisher- Elsevier, 1st Edition; 2017, ISBN – 978-0-444-63994-3 (paperback)