Dr. Monappa Naik A.
Department of Orthopaedics
Qualification: DNB (ORTHO) 1. AO Fellowship – under the leadership of Professor Michael Wagner at Vienna- Austria- April-June- 2007. 2. Clinical fellowship in Shoulder Arthroplasty, arthroscopy & Traumatology at University Hospital Ghent, Belgium, 05th Oct – 25th Nov, 2010. 3. KOA international travelling fellowship-2014. 7-18 July 2014, Medway & Swindon, UK. 4. Revision Arthroplasty, ENDOKLINIK, Hamburg, Germany, 15th September-3rd October, 2014. 5. Visit-the-Expert AO Fellowship, AO Foundation Davos, Bangkok Hospital Thailand, 11 Nov –Dec 08th 2018
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dr Monappa Naik A teaches theory and clinical work to MBBS students.
- As a clinician he manages OP and IP patients of his unit. He is responsible for the operating procedures of all emergency as well as regular elective cases. He is involved in bed side clinical teaching of PG students and training them for hands on experience of Orthopaedic procedures. He is responsible for taking care of all medicolegal issues of road taffic accident cases managed in their unit.
- He has been co-guide for the Postgraduate Dissertations of his unit. Overall he is involved in all academic and teaching / training activites of their department.
- Managing emergencies like polytrauma patients, open fractures, closed and open reductions of fractures and dislocations.
- Actively involved in major operative procedures like total joint replacements (knee, hip joints), major trauma procedures, arthroscopy, arthroscopic reconstructions of ligaments (ACL, PCL), patient management in the wards and outpatient department.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Orthopaedics||7th, 8th, 9th semesters (Old Regulations) and PY2, PY3-I, PY3-II (CBME)|
|Orthopaedics||PGY1, PGY2 and PGY3|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|DNB||Orthopaedic Surgery (Joint Replacement and Complex Trauma)||National Board of Examinations, New Delhi||2001|
|Diploma||Orthopaedics||Vijayanagara Institute of Medical Sciences Bellary, Gulbarga University.||1997|
|MBBS||Vijayanagara Institute of Medical Sciences Bellary, Gulbarga University.||1993|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|Department of Orthopaedics, KMC Manipal||Professor and Unit head||July 2021 till date|
|Department of Orthopaedics, KMC Manipal||Associate Professor||May 2008 - June 2021|
|Department of Orthopaedics, KMC Manipal||Assistant Professor||Oct 2005 – May 2008|
|Department of Orthopaedics, KMC Manipal||Research Associate||Oct 2004 – September 2005|
|Justice KS Hedge Medical Academy (KSHEMA), Mangalore||Assistant Professor||Aug 2003 – September 2004|
|Joined Justice KS Hedge Medical Academy (KSHEMA), Mangalore||Lecturer||May 2002 – July 2003|
|Joined Justice KS Hedge Medical Academy (KSHEMA), Mangalore||Tutor||April 1999 – May 2002|
1. Thirty-day mortality of patients with hip fracture during COVID-19 pandemic and pre-pandemic periods: A systematic review and metaanalysis Tripathy, S.K., Varghese, P., Panigrahi, S., ...Naik, M.A., Rao, S.K. World Journal of Orthopedics, 2021, 12(1), pp. 35–50
2. Functional evaluation of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction – comparison of two graft fixation techniques in the femoral tunnel Vijayan, S., Cherukuri, S.M., Kulkarni, M.S., ...Murali, S.D., Rao, S.K. Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons Journal, 2021, 11(1), pp. 62–68
3. CT based measurement of anatomical dimensions of femur and its relevance in nail designs for proximal femoral fractures. Kulkarni, M., Naik A, M., Shetty, C.B., Paruthikunnan, S.M., Rao, S.K. Journal of Orthopaedics, 2020, 20, pp. 63–69
4. Variables affecting functional outcome in floating knee injuries. Kulkarni, M.S., Aroor, M.N., Vijayan, S., ...Tripathy, S.K., Rao, S.K. Injury, 2018, 49(8), pp. 1594–1601
5. ACL reconstruction using femoral Rigid-fix and tibial Bio-intrafix devices Singh, R., Tripathy, S.K., Naik, M.A., Sujir, P., Rao, S.K. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma, 2017, 8(3), pp. 254–258
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Orthopaedic trauma management, Management of joint diseases, infection of bone and joints.
Area of Expertise
Periarticular trauma, Arthroplasty, Arthroscopy.
Area of Research
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life member of Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA) (L.M./ 5781)
- Life member- Indian Medical Association (KAR / 11989 / 140 / 133 / 174022 / 2012-13 / CL)
- Member- AO Alumni Association, Davos.
- Member – SICOT (17443)
- Life member Asian Association for Dynamic Osteosynthesis (AADO), Hong Kong (932)
- Life member of Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States (OASIS)
- Life member of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association (KOA) (M 50)
- Life member of Indian Arthroscopy Society (IAS) (1295)
- Life Member of Canara Orthopaedic Association, 1989.
Clinical and radiological outcome of percutaneous plating in extra-articular proximal tibia fractures: A prospective study
2013-01-08 Naik M Arora G Tripathy SK Sujir P Rao SK
Injury, Int. J. Care Injured
Correlation between the forearm plus little finger length and the femoral length
2013-01-08 Naik M Sujir P Tripathy SK Goyal T Rao SK
Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery
Phosphaturic mesenchymal tumour of the mandible: useful criteria for a diagnosis on fine needle aspiration cytology.
2012-02-12 Monappa V Naik M Mathew M Rao L Rao SK Ramachandra L Padmapriya J
Bilateral stress fractures offemoral neck in non-athletes: a report of four cases
Chinese Journal of Traumatology
Ulnar butress arthoplasty after enbloc resection of distal ulna giant cell tumor
2013-01-03 Naik M Sujir P Rao SK Tripathy SK
Indian Journal of Orthopaedics
Ganglion cyst of the posterior cruciate ligament in a child- case report
Singapore Med J
Prepubertal Presentation of Solitary Osteochondroma of Thoracic Spine – A Case Report
Malaysian Orthopaedic Journal 2011 Vol 5 No 2.
MCL avulsion injury from both tibial and femoral attachments- A case report
Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hong Kong
A descriptive clinical evaluation of arthroscopic synovectomy in the rheumatoid knees: a prospective study
Ceylon Medical Journal