CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Faculty of Health Sciences | Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, KMC, Manipal
- In-charge | Mycology Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal
- In-charge | Library, Department of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal
- Faculty | Department of Medical Education (MEU), Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE
- Faculty | M-FAIMER International Institute for Leadership in IPE (IIP fellow of 2015), Manipal
- UG, PG and Ph.D Guide | Kasturba Medical College - Manipal
- UG Mentor | MBBS Program, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal
- Quality Manager | Kasturba Hospital Laboratory Services [KHLS] for ISO 15189:2012-NABL Accreditation
- Internal Auditor | QMS 9001:2015-EMS ISO 14001 IMS Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE
- Member | Kasturba Hospital Safety and Sentinel Standing Committee [KH-SSSC]
- Member | MAHE Institutional Biosafety Committee [IBSC], Manipal
- Joint Co-ordinator | Biosafety Committee [IBSC], Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, Manipal, MAHE
- Co-ordinator | Resource person for workshops on Basic Techniques in Diagnostic Mycology
- Member | Research Cell, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE
- Member | Ph.D. Cell, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE
- Member | Bio Design Centre, Kasturba Medical College - Manipal,
- Coordinator | Interdisciplinary Research Advisory Group [IRAG] Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE
- Faculty Advisor | Student Research Forum (SRF), Kasturba Medical College - Manipal, MAHE [KMC-SRF]
- Faculty Mentor | Volunteer Services Organisation [VSO], MAHE
- Steering Committee Member | KMC - Manipal, Unit of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics
- National Faculty & Expert Subject Consultant | Microbiology to UNESCO Chair in Bioethics Haifa Integrated Bioethics Curriculum for medical UG & PG training programs in Asia.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Microbiology||MBBS||3rd, 4th and 5th semester|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|PhD||Medical Mycology||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal||2012|
|MSc||Medical Microbiology||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||2004|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC Manipal||Associate Professor||2016 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||2012 to 2016|
|KMC, Manipal||Senior Lecturer||2010 to 2012|
|KMC, Manipal||Lecturer||2004 to 2010|
Name of the project:2021-2023 | "Drop & Detect”: Distance-based assay for Candida albicans using Paper-based Microfluidic devices and Isothermal amplification.
Funding agencies:Core Research Grant, Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Area of Expertise
Area of Research
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life member, Pan African Medical Mycology Association - 2008
- Life member, Hospital Infection control Society of India (HIS) - L-536
- Life member, Gastrointestinal Infection Society of India (GIS) - LM-20
- Life member, Society of Indian Human and Animal Mycologists (SIHAM) 390-LM-153/2007
- Life member, Indian Society of Medical Mycologists (ISMM) Current
- Life member, Mycological Society of India (MSI) - (16) LM-04-08 NEW
- Life member, Society of Applied Biotechnology (SAB) - 2012
- Life member, Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists, Karnataka Chapter (IAMM-KC) - LM-676/2013
- Life member, Society for Biosafety, India (254) SBS/254-2016
- Life member, Society for Biological Chemists, India (4623) SBC/3844.
- Life member, Philatelic and Numismatics Club, MAHE (027517) L-016
- Life member, Red Cross Society of India – No.546
- Member, Volunteer Services Organisation (VSO) – MAHE VSO2913
- Member, South-South Initiative for infectious diseases of poverty - 2009
- Member, The Indian Inter-professional Education Network (IndIPEN) 2018
- Member, International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (ISHAM) - MM2245
- Member, Fungi-scope Global Registry of Rare Mycoses - 2009.
- Member, ISHAM Working Groups - Malassezia epidemiology and pathobiology, Eumycetoma, Fusarium
- Member, International Federation of Biosafety Associations (IFBA) - RHB644817
- Member, Manipal McGill Center of Infectious Diseases (MAC-ID) - MACID/16/039
- Member, International Forum of Teachers of UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (IFT)
- Founder member, Physician & Scientists of The Mycoses Study Group Education and Research Consortium – (MSGERC) – 2016
- Founder member & representative, Young-International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (YISHAM) - 2012 for India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh
- Annual member, Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists (IAMM) -2002/AM 674/09/02
- Annual member, Bioscience Association, St Aloysius College, 2001-2003
- “Cryptococcus spp. Complex in peninsular India”. Project-ID (72793), Lambert Academic Publishing -LAP (2012) trademark of: AV Akademikerverlag GmbH & Co. KG, Heinrich-Böcking-Str. 6-8, 66121, Saarbrücken, Germany.ISBN: 978-3-659-30406-4 (ISBN-13); 365-9-304-069 (ISBN-10)
- “Taxonomic Updates with Key Focus on Medically Important Aspergilli”. Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016; p251 – p255. Bhim Pratap Singh, Vijay Kumar Gupta (eds.), Molecular Markers in Mycology, Fungal Biology.ISBN: 978-3-319-34106-4 (Online ISBN); 978-3-319-34104-0 (Print ISBN).DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-34106-4_12
- “Current Approaches towards Development of Molecular Markers in Diagnostics of Invasive Aspergillosis”. Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016; p257 - p273. Bhim Pratap Singh, Vijay Kumar Gupta (eds.), Molecular Markers in Mycology, Fungal Biology. ISBN: 978-3-319-34106-4 (Online ISBN); 978-3-319-34104-0 (Print ISBN). DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-34106-4_13 .
- “Biology of Pathogenic Actinobacteria: Nocardia and Allied Genera”. Elsevier B.V. 2018; p225 – p233. Bhim Pratap Singh, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Ajith Kumar Passari (eds.). New and Future Developments in Microbial Biotechnology and Bioengineering: Actinobacteria: Diversity and Biotechnological Applications. ISBN: 978-0-444-63994-3 (Paperback ISBN). DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-444-63994-3.00015-1.
- “Aspergillus terreus: Taxonomy, biology and bioactive secondary metabolites with potential applications”. Elsevier 2020; p215 – p223. Praveen Gehlot, Joginder Singh (eds). New and Future Developments in Microbial Biotechnology and Bioengineering: Recent Advances in Application of Fungi and Fungal Metabolites: Current Aspects. ISBN: 978-3-319-34106-4 (Online ISBN); 978-3-319-34104-0 (Print ISBN). ISBN: 978-0-12-821005-5 (Final). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-821005-5.00015-6.
Characterization of extracellular secretory proteases in yeast and filamentous fungal genera
2007-01-01 Geetha Suvarna
To characterize extracellular secretory proteases in yeast and filamentous forms of different fungal genera and to standardize different culture media & incubation period on enzyme production.
Estimation of salivary SAP activity in premalignant lesion and OSCC-correlating it with histological typing
2014-01-01 Dr Shweta Rehani
Several virulence attributes have been identified in candidal infection, among which are the hydrolases, including the secreted aspartyl proteinases (Saps). This study evaluated and compared the in vitro level of Saps from Candida albicans in non-smokers, smokers, and patients with leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC). Candida cell count (CCC) at 48 h was also assessed. The higher level of Saps from C albicans in individuals with leukoplakia and OSCC suggests that this pathogen plays a role in disease development and could aid in identifying the pathogenic commensal.
Prevalence of dermatophyte and non-dermatophyte onychomycosis in southern Karnataka
2007-01-01 Dr Shrijana Gurung
To identify the various dermatophytes, yeasts and non-dermatophyte mould causing Onychomycosis and study their pattern of clinical manifestation and to identify the risk groups and predisposing factors leading to Onychomycosis in the population with the help of a questionnaire.
Speciation and determination of antifungal susceptibility profile of Candida isolates from oral candidiasis in patients undergoing radiotherapy for head and neck malignancy- A
2009-01-01 Dr Mridula
To determine prospectively the species types and antifungal susceptibility profile of Candida isolates from oral candidiasis in patients undergoing radiotherapy for head and neck malignancy.
Invitro assessment of extracellular keratinises among pathogenic and non-pathogenic monomorphic Onygenales moulds using phonetic methods
2009-01-01 Kavitha Betty Thomas
Environmental isolation of Onygenales member from coriaceous vegetation and sewage and sludge and to establish and design a axenic media to demonstrate invitro keratinase enzyme activity. Further the study aims to evaluate the role of extracellular keratinase activity of pathogenic and non-pathogenic Onygenales fungal genera.
Evaluation of antifungal efficacy of Tea tree oil against Candida Albicans
2010-01-01 Dr Nikita Toprani
To evaluate the antifungal property of Tea Tree Oil extract (Melaleuca alternifolia) against Candida Albicans and to compare the antifungal efficacy of Tea Tree Oil extract (Melaleuca alternifolia) and Nystatin with that of Chlorhexidine gluconate as endodontic irrigants, at two different time intervals of inoculation of Candida Albicans.
Antifungal agent as an adjuvant in the treatment of oral lichen planus: a randomized controlled trial
2012-01-01 Dr Nandita Sujir
To evaluate the role of antifungal agent as an adjuvant in the treatment of oral lichen planus.