Dr. Prakashini K.
Professor & Head of the Dept.
Dr Prakashini is a pioneer radiologist, academician and researcher at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, serving as professor and head of the department. She had brought various laurels to the institute through her extensive inter and intra-disciplinary research. Her special areas of interest include various image guided interventions, contributing to the betterment of patient-care.
Department of Radio Diagnosis
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Radio-Diagnosis)
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides PG theses of MD radiology and PhD students of Medical Imaging Technology; MBBS students for STS project under ICMR
- Moderates seminars for postgraduate students.
- Reports CT, MRI, USG and X-Rays of various body parts.
Dr Prakashini K teaches MBBS and MD students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MD||Radiodiagnosis and Imaging||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||2006|
|MBBS||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||2001|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC,Manipal||Professor and Incharge Head||1/Oct/2018 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor||04/2014 till 10/2018|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||2010 to 2014|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||2006 to 2010|
|KMC, Manipal||Junior Resident||2003 to 2006|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Cardiac CT Angiography, PTBD procedures, Central Nervous System imaging and MSK imaging
Area of Expertise
Cardiac CT Angiography and PTBD procedures
Area of Research
Diffusion Tensor Imaging MR of kidney disease and in early diabetic nephropathy, Temporal bone and middle ear pathologies on MRI, Myocardial defect analysis on Cardiac CT, Assessing Awareness of radiographers towards nosocomial infection during radiography, Criteria’s to grade fatty infiltration of liver on CT
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of IRIA, 2010.
- Corresponding Member of EJR, 2010.
A neonate with multiple fractures
2009-01-02 Ramesh BY Prakashini K
Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research
Subdural effusion complicating neonatal meningitis- Successful treatment with acetazolamide
2009-01-01 Bhat YR Prakashini K Sen S
Indian Journal of Paediatrics
Excretory urography in urinary tuberculosis- What is the role
2008-01-01 Prakashini K Rao VRK
International Journal of Infectious Diseases
Clinical, radiological and microbiological corroboration to assess the role of endotracheal aspirate in diagnosing ventilator-associated pneumonia in an intensive care unit of a tertiary care hospital
2010-01-01 Mukhopadhyay C Krishna S Shenoy A Prakashini K
International Journal of Infection Control
Consistency of Fractional Anisotropy Values Using Different Combinations of b-Value and Time of Echo (TE) in Diffusion Tensor Imaging of Normal Brain White Matter
2018-01-12 Rahul P Kotian K Prakashini Sreekumaran Nair M Satish Babu
Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research
Role of Diffusion Weighted Magentic Resonanace Imaging in differentiating benign and malignant Breast Lesions
2020-01-04 Breast radiology Allen Jabar Shell Prakashini K Jasbon A
Polish Journal of Radiology
Volume Estimation of Pulmonary Lesion Using Chest CT
2018-01-03 Ramyasri Nayak Nandish S Prakashini Koteshwara
International Journal of Engineering & Technology
• Multipara metric MRI for Bladder Cancer Using VI-RADS for the Detection of Detrusor Muscle Invasion: An Observational Study to check the Reliability of VI-RADS scoring in Indian Population. • Detection and Staging Of Laryngeal cancer Using Machine Learning and Radiomics • Prognostication of Acute ischemic stroke by developing a prognostic index based on a clinical characteristics and stroke volume • Artificial intelligence enabled acute ischemic stroke infarct volume estimation and intracranial emergent large vessel occlusion quantification • Development and testing of optimal cardiac CT protocol using fixed time delay for congenital heart disease in children. • Modelling of textures based assessment system to accurately determine response to therapy of vertebral metastasis on DWI IN COMPETENCE WITH PET CT • Exploring application of radiomics in brain tumour assessment and treatment. • Diffusion Tensor Imaging - MR Tractography in Stroke Patients to Predict Motor Outcome • Myocardial viability on MDCT and it’s correlation with left ventricular recovery after intervention in late presentation of acute myocardial infarction • Computer Aided Detection of pulmonary nodules on 64 Row MDCT • Evaluation of low dose 64 – MDCT in Urolithiasis•