CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides MBBS students on research activities – ICMR STS projects and Community Medicine postgraduates in MD dissertation.
- Is in charge for Urban Health Centre, Malpe which provides health care services to ante-natal women, under-5 children and patients with general ailments especially non-communicable diseases.
- Is involved in cancer screening and referral activities at the Community Cancer Screening Clinic, Malpe
Dr Ranjitha S Shetty teaches undergraduate (MBBS) and postgraduate (MD Community Medicine).
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Community Medicine||3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th semester|
|Community Medicine||Community Medicine|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MD||Community Medicine||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||2007|
|MBBS||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||2002|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||18/05/2011 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||18/05/2007 to 17/05/2011|
|KMC, Manipal||Tutor||01/05/2004 to 30/04/2007|
|Yenepoya Medical College||Tutor||21/11/2002 to 30/04/2004|
A community based assessment of visual, hearing and psycho-social morbidities among geriatric population in coastal Karnataka, India.
Screening for Human Papilloma Virus and other DNA virus infections of the cervix among tribal women in Southern India.
Ranjitha Shetty Sanjay Patanshetty Satyamoorthy K Veena Kamath Deeksha Pandey Sneha Kamath Shama Prasad
Retrospective Surveillance for Intussusception in Children Aged Less than Five Years in India.
Funded by Shantha Biotechnics Ltd. Hyderabad, India
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Prevention and control of cervical cancer , Communicable and Non-communicable diseases , Maternal and Child Health , Health System Research
Area of Expertise
Epidemiology , Research methods
Area of Research
Cervical cancer screening , Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease(COPD) , Geriatrics , Worksite Wellness Interventions , HIV/AIDS , Maternal Health
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association, 2012.
- Life Member of Karnataka Association of Community Health, 2011.
- Udayavani, December 7, 2012, Resource person for a “Free health camp organized by Pragathi Friends”, Patla, Lions Club-Kalyanpura and Canara Bank-Court Branch.
- Udayavani, September 1, 2012, Resorce person for a workshop on “Prevention and control of Leptospirosis” in the Anganwadi Training Centre, Manipal.
- Udayavani, December 27, 2010, Resource person for the workshop on “Health problems of the adolescent girls” conducted by Lions Club, Manipal for the anganwadi workers at Anganwadi Training Centre, Manipal.
- Udayavani, November 27, 2010, Resource person for a talk on “Adolescent Health” for the students of Polipu High School, jointly organized by Rotary Club, Katpadi and Health Club, Pre-University College, Polipu.
- Udayavani, August 24, 2010, Resource person for a talk on “Malaria, Dengue and Chikungunya” for the students of SVK English Medium High School, Katpadi, organized by Rotary Club, Katpadi
Click here for details.
Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in a rural community in coastal Karnataka
A cross-sectional study was carried out to estimate the prevalence of COPD and to identify association of the disease with various risk factors in the rural field practice area of the Department of Community Medicine, KMC, Manipal during the year 2012 -2013.
A case-control study on socio-demographic parameters and risk factors of colorectal cancer among patients attending tertiary care hospital in southern Karnataka
2010-01-01 Rashmi Aithal
2010-11, 7th Semester A case-control study was carried out to determine the association between certain socio-demographic factors and colorectal cancer and to identify various life style factors associated with colorectal cancer among both inpatients and outpatients attending Kasturba Hospital, Manipal in Udupi district of Karnataka during the year 2012-2013.
Knowledge, attitude and practice of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) among Medical practitioners: A survey in an academic Medical Centre in India”,
2008-01-01 Fong Hee Kong Low Kar Man
2007-08, 8th Semester. A questionnaire based cross-sectional survey was carried out among the medical practitioners of an academic medical centre in southern India to evaluate the knowledge, attitude, and the use of CAM among allopathic doctors during the year 2011. The project was presented by the students at the 2011 IFMSA-AMSA Joint Conference on Integrative Medicine in Hong Kong and was awarded Third Prize.
Wareness and utilization of childhood vaccines in a coastal community in rural India”, Vamsi Krishna Kantamaneni
2007-08, 7th Semester. A Community based Cross-Sectional study was conducted in the Field Practice Area of a tertiary care teaching hospital to assess the awareness of mothers regarding childhood vaccines, to assess the pattern of utilization of childhood vaccines and to examine the correlation between the socio-demographic variables and awareness and utilization of the childhood vaccines.
A study on the effects of maternal factors on the nutritional status of 1-5 year old children in an urban slum population in southern India.
2008-01-01 Varun Gosain
7th Semester.A cross-sectional study was carried out to assess the nutritional status of 1-5 year old children in an urban slum population in southern India and to study the effect of various maternal factors on the prevalence of underweight and stunting among 1-5 year old children in the urban slum population.