Dr. Sharath Kumar Rao K
Professor & Dean
Department of Orthopaedics
Qualification: MS (ORTHO) 1. Trained in primary and revision Total Knee and Total Hip Replacement in Regensberg Germany under Prof. Neugerbaur under IGOF Fellowship from 6th June 1999 to 28th June 1999 2. Trained in Trauma Surgery and joint replacement as AO Fellow in University Hospital Essen Germany under Prof. Nast –Kolb for 8 weeks in April and May, 2000. 3. Trained in unicondylar and knee replacement in Instituto Orthopaedico Galleazzi, Milan, Italy under Prof Sergio Romagnoli for 2 weeks in January, 2003. 4. Observer in Sir Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Hospital Oswestry, UK, under Prof. Richardson for two weeks in June 2003. 5.Shoulder Arthroscopic Surgery in Western Orthopaedic Clinic in Perth Australia, under Dr. Peter Campbell, November, 2004. 6. Observer in Napean Hospital, Penrith, Sydney, Australia under Prof. Wui K Chung, for revision hip and knee surgery, December, 2004.
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Administrative affairs of KMC Manipal, PG and UG teaching, PhD guide
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Orthopaedics||MBBS||7th, 8th, 9th semesters (Old Regulations) and PY2, PY3-I, PY3-II (CBME)|
|Orthopaedics||MS||PGY1, PGY2 and PGY3|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MS||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||1988|
|Diploma||Orthopaedics||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Mangalore University||1987|
|MBBS||Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||1985|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC,Manipal||Dean||1 Aug 2019 till date|
|KMC,Manipal||Associate Dean||2015 - 2019|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor and Head of Department||2009 - 2014|
|KMC,Manipal||Professor and Head of Unit||2004 - 2009|
|KMC,Manipal||Associate Professor||1993 - 2004|
|KMC,Manipal||Assistant Professor||1990 - 1993|
|KMC,Manipal||Lecturer||1988 - 1990|
1. Effectiveness of Kinaesthetic Exercise program on Position Sense, Pain, and Disability in Chronic Neck Pain Patients with Cervical Spondylosis - A Randomized Comparative Trial. Reddy, R.S.Y., Maiya, A.G., Rao, S.K., ...Kandakurti, P.K., Kakaraparthi, V.N. Physikalische Medizin Rehabilitationsmedizin Kurortmedizin, 2021, 31(4), pp. 242–250
2. Thirty-day mortality of patients with hip fracture during COVID-19 pandemic and pre-pandemic periods: A systematic review and metaanalysis Tripathy, S.K., Varghese, P., Panigrahi, S., ...Naik, M.A., Rao, S.K. World Journal of Orthopedics, 2021, 12(1), pp. 35–50
3. Functional evaluation of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction – comparison of two graft fixation techniques in the femoral tunnel Vijayan, S., Cherukuri, S.M., Kulkarni, M.S., ...Murali, S.D., Rao, S.K. Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons Journal, 2021, 11(1), pp. 62–68
4. Is hackathon in oncology a plausible way to foster innovation? An experiential narrative account of conducting Hacking Cancer Lewis, S., Rao, C.R., Shenoy, P.A., ...Prabhu, K., Rao, S.K. BMJ Innovations, 2021, 7(1), pp. 164–174
5. Effectiveness of customized insoles on maximum plantar pressure in diabetic foot syndrome: A systematic review Korada, H., Maiya, A., Rao, S.K., Hande, M. Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research and Reviews, 2020, 14(5), pp. 1093–1099
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
ACL reconstruction, Revision hip and Knee Replacement, Acetabular Fracture
Area of Expertise
Knee Arthroscopy, Total joint replacement, Complex Trauma
Area of Research
Proximal Femoral Fractures, ACL Reconstruction, Proximal Tibial Fractures, Anthropometry of Different Bones
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Chairperson of AO Trauma India 2016-2018.
- President of Karnataka State Orthopaedic Association 2012-2013.
- President of Orthopaedic Association of South Indian Surgeons, (OASIS) 2017-2018.
- Executive committee member of Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA).
- Life Member of Canara Orthopaedic Association, 1989.
- Life Member of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association, 1990.
- Life Member of Indian Orthopaedic Association, 1991.
- Life Member of Indian Arthroscopy Society, 1992.
- Life Member of National Association of Interlocking Surgeons, 1996.
- Life Member of Indo German orthopaedic Foundation (IGOF), 1999.
- Life Member of AO Trauma, 1999.
- Life Member of Asia Pacific Arthoplasty Society (APAS), 2005.
- Life Member of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon (AAOS), 2005.