Dr. Shyamasunder Bhat N.
Professor & Head of the Dept.
Department of Orthopaedics
Qualification: MS (ORTHO), DNB 1. Observership in Orthopaedic Surgery at Doncaster Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom (Aug-Sep 2005) 2. AO Trauma Fellowship at Singapore General Hospital, Singapore (Oct-Dec 2005) 3. IOA Mentorship Fellowship. At Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore (July 2012) 4. AOSpine Fellowship at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong (Oct-Nov 2012) 5. Spine Fellowship at Tohuku Central Hospital, Yamagata, Japan (Apr-May 2013) 6. Visiting Fellowship at BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada (May-Jun 2014) 7. AOTrauma Visit the Expert Fellowship at University of Munich Hospital, Munich, Germany (Aug-Sep 2016) 8. Visiting Fellowship in Endoscopic Spine Surgery, Wakayama Medical University & Sumiya Orthopaedic Hospital, Wakayama, Japan (Oct 2017) 9. FAIMER fellowship in interprofessional education (2019-2021)
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the administrative responsibilities of the department.
- Is involved in Undergraduate theory and clinical teaching
- Co-coordinates seminars, journal clubs, clinicoradiology discussions, trauma and pre-operative audits for postgraduates.
- Is involved in outpatient and inpatient care.
- Is actively involved in collaborative research and publications.
Dr Shyamasunder Bhat N teaches undergraduate and postgraduate students. He
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Semester / Year|
|Orthopaedics||7th, 8th, 9th semesters (Old Regulations) and PY2, PY3-I, PY3-II (CBME)|
|Orthopaedics||PGY1, PGY2 and PGY3|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|DNB||Orthopaedics||National Board of Examinations, New Delhi||1999|
|MS||Orthopaedics||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||1999|
|MBBS||Govt Medical College, Mysore||1996|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor and Head||Administrative, Teaching, Clinical, Research||01/05/2019 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Professor and Unit Head||Administrative, Teaching, Clinical, Research||01/08/2013 to 30/04/2019|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||Teaching, Clinical, Research||13/10/2004 to 14/06/2007 & 20/03/2008 to 31/07/2013|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||Teaching, Clinical, Research||01/09/1999 to 12/10/2004|
|KMC, Manipal||Junior Resident||Teaching, Clinical, Research||20/08/1996 to 31/07/1999|
|KMC, Manipal||Tutor||Teaching||19/10/1995 to 18/08/1996|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Spine Surgery, Trauma, Imaging, Interprofessional Education
Area of Expertise
Spinal Deformity, Trauma and Infections, General Orthopaedics
Area of Research
Spine Surgery, Imaging of Spine
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Life Member of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association, 2000.
- Life Member of Indian Orthopaedic Association, 2001.
- Life Member of Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States, 2000.
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association, 2007.
- Life Member of AO Trauma, 2005.
- Life Member of AO Spine, 2007.
- Life Member of Canara Orthopaedic Society, 2003.
Recognitions & Achievements
- Fellowship in Paediatric Spine at BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada in May-June 2014
- Fellowship in Degenerative Spine at Tohuku Central Hospital, Yamagata, Japan in April-May 2013
- AOSpine Fellowship in Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong in October 2012
- IOA Mentorship Fellowship in Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore in July 2012
- AO Trauma Fellowship in Singapore General Hospital, Singapore in October-December 2005
- Observership in Orthopaedics in Doncaster Royal Infirmary, UK in August - September 2005
- Distinguished Alumnus Award 2008, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- 16 Guest Lectures, 25 Conference Presentations, 52 Publications, 52 Workshops/Seminars
1. Effectiveness of deep cervical fascial manipulation and yoga postures on pain, function, and oculomotor control in patients with mechanical neck pain: study protocol of a pragmatic, parallel-group, randomized, controlled trial. Raja G, P., Bhat N, S., Fernández-de-las-Peñas, C., ...Shankar, R., Prabhu, A. Trials, 2021, 22(1), 574
2. Computerized image understanding system for reliable estimation of spinal curvature in idiopathic scoliosis. Thalengala, A., Bhat, S.N., Anitha, H. Scientific Reports, 2021, 11(1), 7144
3. Finite element analysis of hip implant with varying in taper neck lengths under static loading conditions. Chethan, K.N., Shyamasunder Bhat, N., Zuber, M., Satish Shenoy, B. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 2021, 208, 106273
4. Wear estimation of trapezoidal and circular shaped hip implants along with varying taper trunnion radiuses using finite element method. K N, C., Ogulcan, G., Bhat N, S., Zuber, M., Shenoy B, S. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 2020, 196, 105597
5. Review on the progress in development of finite element models for functional spinal units: Focus on lumbar and lumbosacral levels. Vinyas, V., Adhikari, R., Shyamasunder Bhat, N.Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences, 2020, 16, pp. 66–74
1. Dr. Mithun Shetty: Role of Fluroscopy guided closed vertebral biopsy in perplexed lesions of spine. 2011 2. Dr. Krunal Patel Hasmukh Bhai: Outcome analysis of PMMA beads in musculoskeletal infections. 2012 3. Dr. Sourab Shetty: Analysis of patients with persistent or recurrent back ache with or without radiculopathy following discectomy. 2013 4. Dr. Sravanchandar Dutta: A comparative study of sagittal profile of spine on follow up cases of dorsolumbar & lumbar burst fractures managed operatively & nonoperatively. 2014 5. Dr. Chetan Kumar K: Outcome evaluation of minimally invasive discectomy in lumbar intervertebral disc prolapse. 2015 6. Dr. Yejju Sravan: Outcome analysis of transforaminal steroid injection in acute intervertebral disc prolapse. 2016 7. Dr. Dattatreya Sitaram: Clinical profile and outcome analysis of traumatic subaxial cervical spine injury. 2017 8. Keerthan Ranga Nayak: A comparative study of Open Microdiscectomy with minimally invasive discectomy in Lumbar Disc Herniation. 2018 9. Naveen J: A study of osteoarticular brucellosis in a tertiary care hospital. 2018
1. Harshit Patel: Role of Molecular Diagnostics in Spinal infections. 2019 2. Ashish Reddy B: A comparative study between outcomes of Thoracolumbar burst fractures treated by short segment fixation with and without intermediate screws. 2019 3. Sharath Kumar: Clinical and Radiological outcome of Management of Calcaneum Fractures. 2019 (Co-Guide) 4. Suhas Sondur: Distraction Osteotomy for Extra-Articular Distal Radius Malunion using Volar Plate without Bone Graft: Radiological Analysis and Systematic Review. 2020 5. Aditya Pratap Shah: Clinical relevance of 3D information in spine surgery for accurate placement of pedicle screws by registering preoperative MRI with intraoperative images. 2020 6. Ramachandra Theja: Role of tranexamic acid in open spinal surgeries. 2020 7. Anurag Das: Comparative study of fracture neck of femur treated by DHS and cannulated cancellous screws. 2020
1. Chethan KN: Performance evaluation and optimization of trunnion design for the long-term durability of hip joint prosthesis (19/03/2016) – 160900017 (Co-Guide)
1. Vinyas: Numerical Investigation of normal and internally disrupted disc at L5-S1 level of human lumbar spine (13/12/2018) – 180900052 (Co-Guide) 2. Roshan R Naik: Development of an image registration system for the identification of vertebral level and pedicle screw trajectory (27/04/2019) – 190900030 (Co-Guide) 3. Garima Gupta: Effectiveness of multifactorial balance rehabilitation program on equality of life and functional fitness in elderly type 2 diabetes with peripheral neuropathy (06/11/2019) – 191100106 (Co-Guide) Dr. TMA Pai Scholarship 4. Prabu Raja G: Effectiveness of deep cervical fascial manipulation on pain, function and oculomotor control - A pragmatic, parallel group randomized control trial (30/11/2019) – 191100009 (Guide) 5. Ganesh Balthillaya M: Effect of posture correction interventions with taping on forward shoulder head posture with mechanical neck pain (13/03/2020) – 201100005 (Co-Guide) 6. Usha Kiran: Designing and development of a system for 3D to 2D registration of Pre-Operative Magnetic Resonance (MR) Image to Intra-Operative C-Arm in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis with accelerated MR acquisition and Optimum projection matrix design (25/03/2020) – 190900116 (Co-Guide) Dr. TMA Pai Scholarship 7. Sindhura DN: A decision support system for classification of vertebral column fractures: A deep learning approach (19/08/2020) – 200900112 (Co-Guide) Dr. TMA Pai Scholarship 8. Snigdha Mishra: A Cadaveric and clinical study of the thoracic and lumbar vertebrae to optimize screw path length, screw angle and pedicle width in an Indian population (24/11/2020) – 201300001 (Guide)