The Biochemistry department is involved in Undergraduate teaching for medical students. It also provides post graduate training in MD and MSc in Medical Biochemistry. The department also conducts regular CMEs for its post graduate students and faculty. Its annual CME is called “Manipal Biochemistry Update”
The Department of Biochemistry is run by a group of experienced and talented doctors and faculty who provide diagnostic laboratory services to outpatients and inpatients. The laboratory is intended to serve as a referral laboratory for physicians of this hospital as well as for those practicing in the surrounding areas. Routine Biochemistry and specialized tests like hormones, tumour markers, vitamins and therapeutic drug monitoring is carried out on a daily basis. Approximately one lakh thirty thousand tests are handled by the laboratory every month.
The laboratory is committed to maintaining the highest quality of performance using the latest technology and equipment that enables us to provide rapid and reliable results for the patient in the shortest turnaround time. Faculty and postgraduate students are encouraged to do research and publish scientific papers. Last year, in 2013-14, the faculty contributed a total of 35 publications in International and National journals. Many Biochemistry faculty members have presented issues related to laboratory investigations in various television programs aired by local channels and written articles in various newspapers published by the local media.
A large number of inborn errors of metabolic (IEM) disorders in children remain undetected in India due to lack of investigative facilities and economic restraints. Lack of awareness about these IEM disorders in the people of this region of south India has motivated us to take up the challenge of starting the IEM laboratory. This is the only IEM lab in this district, catering to a population of about 50,00,000. Patients from Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh are also referred here for further investigations.
The Biochemistry department, along with the other lab departments are interconnected to the hospital by a Laboratory Information System (LIS) for speedier and accurate generation of reports. Samples are barcoded and fed into the equipment, which automatically performs the tests indicated by the bar code. The test results obtained are immediately transferred online to the doctor’s desk after verifying the entries by a qualified consultant or a senior technician who have undergone training as internal auditors from NABL.
The philosophy of the Post Graduate Programe in Biochemistry is to create job ready technologists, teachers, and PhD scholars. The program provides a unique opportunity for students to undertake core professional and research skills education.
We train students to be familiar with the principles and procedures needed for working in a conventional & specialized medical laboratory.
Focus areas for skill development during the course:
- Formulate, structure and manage a research project
- Develop and apply biochemical methodology to generate new knowledge
- Evaluate and analyze data
- Organize their own work, both individually and as part of a research group
- Critically read and evaluate original biochemical literature within their subject area,
- Discuss the application of biochemistry research results in social, environmental and ethical contexts
- Disseminate the results of their own and other people's experiments
- Use correct academic terminology, both orally and in writing
- Use the subject's main databases and relevant IT technology
- Are familiar with the medical applications of their subject.
- Offers MD, MSc in Medical Biochemistry and PhD. courses
- To create “job-ready” technologists, medical teachers and PhD scholars
- Provides a unique opportunity for students to undertake core professional and research skills education
- Clerkship module for PG students in Biochemistry Diagnostic lab with hands-on training on sophisticated lab equipment’s
- Students are trained in carrying out clinical lab investigations, instrumentation analysis and interpretation of laboratory data. Unique training in inborn error screening is given in the IMD section of the lab.
- Students also learn to operate the LIS (Lab information system) and understand pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical procedures. They also receive a working knowledge of Quality control requirements in the lab
- Students undertake individual research projects under the guidance of faculty which is presented at various national and regional conferences
- Student participation in all P.G. activities; via, Seminars, Group discussion, Journal club, etc. is mandatory and provides training in oral communication skills
- Regular workshops are conducted on personal and professional development for all the postgraduate students and clinical laboratory staff to increase their proficiency.
- Students also get to participate and lead teams in Inter college quizzes and competitions. They take an active part in organizing departmental CMEs and symposiums
- The department has a well-equipped library with over 250 books and, computers with internet facility
- The UG lab accommodates 125 students at a time. The PG lab is equipped to handle 30 PG students which includes MSc and MD students
- The curriculum is designed to facilitate students in pursuing higher education in India and abroad
- Strong industry interface with leading diagnostic companies.
About the Area of Study
Biochemistry is a branch of medicine that deals with the application of physical and organic chemistry along with Biochemistry in human health and disease. It is a field of applied biology and chemistry and is appropriate for students interested in the delivery of health-care services. For medical students it is imperative that they learn about the normal functioning of the body which deals with the process of converting raw materials or nutritional chemicals into more useful and valuable biomolecules such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and nucleic acids. It also deals with molecular biology, the science of genes. In addition, Biochemistry also deals with “blood tests”. It is the most important diagnostics sciences which deal with Biochemical investigations in blood and body fluids and helps doctors in diagnosis and decision making. The Biochemical diagnostics are done on unique automated platforms linked to sophisticated IT enabled services that allow the treating doctor anywhere in the hospital to view the blood test results of the patients immediately on being done. Biochemists have made important contributions to medical sciences over the years in terms of describing the pathophysiology of diseases and inventing new diagnostic methodologies for better healthcare. The breadth and versatility of their training will continue to open many new opportunities for biochemists in the future. Biochemistry provides job opportunities in many kinds of laboratories like diagnostic, industrial, CROs, hospitals, speciality laboratories, and pure medical research institutes.