Communication is the axis around which human behavior and development revolves. The Department of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (ASLP) which was established in the year of 2005, deals with the normal and pathological communication sciences across the life span. Communication sciences is a broad area covering aspects such as Hearing, Balance, Speech, Language and Scholastic performance. The services offered go beyond the boundaries of pathologies and even assist individuals in excelling in normal communication. The application of this discipline also extends to swallowing related challenges.
The department of ASLP launched the BASLP program in 2005 with a progressive growth seen in the number of students’ intake from 10 to 33 currently. In 2006, the department of ASLP began extending its services to the Govt. Wenlock Hospital which was a feather on the cap. This was followed by initiating outreach programmes in 2008. Subsequently with the launch of MASLP and Ph.D programs in 2009, there was a substantial increase in the total student strength. In 2015 the department got empanelled under the Assistance to Disabled Persons (ADIP) scheme. The department had also been registered under section 51.52 of Persons With Disabilities Act, 1995 in the year 2018. Two new PG programmes - M.Sc (Speech Language Pathology) and M.Sc (Audiology) were launched in 2018. All our academic courses have been approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
The Department of ASLP is standing on the firm foundation with well renowned faculty and technologically strong infrastructure, which is comparable to the international standards. The state of the art instrumentation forms the core of all the departmental procedures. Its research output has gained visibility and appreciation worldwide. The leading clinical services of the department includes the Early intervention center, Parents training programme, Newborn hearing screening, Dysphagia Lab, Cochlear Implantation, Hearing Aid Clinic, Cognitive Communication Lab, Language Lab, Voice and Aerodynamic Lab, Nasalence Lab, Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Lab, and Vestibular rehabilitation Lab. The departmental of ASLP have received grants by various funding agencies such as ICMR, DST, Ablenet, and AIISH Research Fund.
The research initiatives at the department have crossed the domestic boundaries and have reached a level of collaborations with international agencies. The department is actively involved in advocating and advising the new entrepreneurs in the field of disability. The professionals trained from this department have an everlasting demand and priority placement among various leading institutions, hospitals, schools, and companies worldwide.
- The department offers graduate, post graduate and doctoral level courses in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology, recognized by Rehabilitation Council of India.
- The course comprises of lectures, class presentations, seminars, journal clubs and clinical conferences.
- Students have exposure to clinics (outpatient and inpatient) & case discussions under supervision on a daily basis.
- Facilities conducive to student learning - fully equipped classrooms, health science library and clinical laboratories of international standards.
- The well-organized clinical facilities of the department cater to the needs of communication, speech, language, hearing and swallowing disorders for all age groups, at K.M.C. Attavar, K.M.C. Ambedkar Circle and Govt. Wenlock Hospital.
- The state of the art instrumentation such as the Digital Swallowing Workstation, Videokymography, EGI Geodesic EEG system, EMG, and Ultrasound.
- The Early intervention center, Parents training programme, Newborn hearing screening, Dysphagia Lab, Cochlear implantation, Hearing aid clinic, Language Lab, Cognitive communication Lab, Voice and Aerodynamic Lab, Nasalence Lab, Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Lab, and Vestibular rehabilitation Lab are few of the feathers in the cap for the department.
- The ongoing outreach programmes in terms of specialty clinics in special schools, school screening, health check– up camps and disability screening adds to the students’ clinical acquaintance.
- Professional guidance from the department extends to special educators, professionals and teachers from various other institutes.
- Regular theory, as well as practical, exams are conducted for the students at the end of each term.
- Research forms an essential part of the scholastic activities in terms of conference presentations and publications.
- Research projects funded by ICMR, DST, Ablenet, and AIISH Research Fund.
- Faculty development programmes and updates on recent developments through continuing rehabilitation education programmes are regularly conducted.
- The department believes and promotes extracurricular development of the students by regularly involving them in variety of activities like sports, art and craft, music etc.
- Students can work as Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists in various hospital set ups, super specialty clinics such as Neurology/ ENT/ Paediatric/Oncology clinics and Rehabilitation centers
- Students also have opportunities to work as industrial audiologist, audiologist in hearing aid and cochlear implant industries, and also opt for serving in private clinics. Few opportunities are also given in the Defence Systems as an Audiologist
- Students may also work at the level of faculty positions and research scholars in various institutions/universities
- Students have good opportunities to pursue their higher education in international Universities. Majority of them are under Scholarship Schemes.
- Most of the students from India are given placements as Swallowing Therapists in Dysphagia rehabilitation centers, Speech Language Pathologists in normal and special schools, Stroke and Dementia rehabilitation clinics, and Clinical Audiologists in various countries worldwide.
- Students also can pursue their higher education in other reputed universities abroad.
The Department of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology, KMC, Mangalore offers the following programs:
- Bachelor of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASLP)
- Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology (M.Sc-SLP)
- Master of Science in Audiology (M.Sc-Audiology)
Labs & Facilities
Improved infrastructure with Demonstration Lab and counselling training room
The Department of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology has well equipped facilities to enhance practical learning.
Access to hospital facilities gives student hands-on training in procedures
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre to facilitate multi-disciplinary research
Laboratories give students the opportunity for practical experience
Sports & Fitness
Marena is the world-class facilities with courts for badminton, tennis, soccer & squash as well as a well-equipped gymnasium
Libraries have publications on the latest developments in allied healthcare
Student hostels are their homes away from homes
No words can express the amount of joy I have in seeing my department gloriously grow for the past ten years! And honestly I am very honoured and proud to be a part of this tremendous achievement
KMC department of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology has been successful and becoming bigger and bigger. I am also very proud that I started my teaching career at this department.
It's a proud moment and I am glad that I too have been a part of this beautiful journey. I am sure that our department would achieve more glory in the coming years as well.
My experience at KMC has given me the confidence to work in any setting be it any hospital, NGO or a private setup. The clinical experience at KMC hospital is one of the best because we were exposed to different types of cases.
Audiologist & Speech Therapist