Department of Speech and Hearing launched its undergraduate program in Speech and Hearing in the year 1992 with basic infrastructure under the department of ENT with 10 number of students.
In 1999, Speech and Hearing section was considered as separate department under the School of Allied Health Sciences. Since then there is a progressive growth in terms of the number of students intake from 10 to 28 currently for BASLP program.
The department started MASLP program in the year 2002 after installation of Audiology and Speech science labs of international standards. At present the total student strength is 130 and above. This led to expansion of the department in terms of space, infrastaructure and faculty strength.
Two new PG programmes - M.Sc (Speech-Language Pathology) and M.Sc (Audiology) were launched in 2018. All our academic courses have been approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
Over the period of 2 decades the department has been successful in establishing various speciality clinics such as Laryngectomy rehabilitation, Hearing aid and cochlear implants, earmould lab, NCDU and Neonatal hearing screening unit. The department of speech and Hearing has received grants from various funding agencies such as ICMR, DST, NCERT, ICSSR UKRI-GCRF and AIISH Research Fund. The research initiatives at the department have crossed the domestic boundaries and have reached a level of collaboration with international agencies. The department is actively involved in advocating and advising new entrepreneurs in the field of disability.
Recently the department has been accredited “Excellent performance” by the Rehabilitation Council of India. The professionals trained from this department have an everlasting demand and priority placement among various leading institutions, hospitals, schools, and companies worldwide
- The department offers graduate, postgraduate, and doctoral level courses in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of Indiay.
- Faculty specialised in various areas of speciality such as neurogenic communication disorders, child language and voice and laryngectomy, hearing aid & cochlear implant.
- Faculty development programs and national and international conferences/CRE in the area of ASLP
- Facilities conducive to student learning - fully equipped classrooms, health science library and clinical laboratories of international standards
- Seminar presentations, scientific paper presentations at the conferences
- Training in premier institutions, specialty clinics, hearing aid industries during internship
- Research projects with the extensive support from the Department of Biostatistics
- The department believes in and promotes extracurricular development of the students by regularly involving them in a variety of activities like sports, art, and craft, music, etc.
- Students can work as Speech Langauge Pathologists and Audiologists in various hospital set up, super specialty clinics such as Neurology/ ENT/ Paediatric/Oncology clinics and Rehabilitation centers
- Students also have opportunities to work as industrial audiologist, audiologist in hearing aid and cochlear implant industries, and also opt for serving in private clinics. Few opportunities were also given in the Defence Systems as an Audiologist
- Students may also work at the level of faculty positions and research scholars in various institutions/universities
- Students have good opportunities to pursue their higher education in international Universities. Majority of them are under Scholarship Schemes.
The Department of Speech and Hearing, MCHP Manipal offers the following programs:
The Department of Speech and Hearing has a well-equipped Out-patient Lab.
Neurocommunication disorder Unit, Neonatal hearing screening Unit, Laryngectomy clinic
Sports & Fitness
Marena is the world-class facilities with courts for badminton, tennis, soccer & squash as well as a well-equipped gymnasium
Libraries have publications on the latest developments in speech and hearing
Life at Manipal made me stronger and allowed me to take a step ahead in being an independent woman. I love infrastructure and International life here. I truly appreciate every single moment I spent at MAHE
BSc. Medical Imaging Technology
MAHE gave me the confidence to grow personally and professionally, it’s a place of learning, fun, culture, love, literature and more. It gave me an opportunity to enrich my knowledge, learn and grow.
BSc. Nuclear Medicine Technology
Life in Manipal is unique due to the tranquility we obtain in a contrastingly vibrant town. MAHE and especially the Department of OT have always helped to provide facilities and create the best environment for studying.
Vu Thi Loan
BSc. Occupational Therapy
Nothing is impossible, I can do it." MAHE has made me strong- it respects and preserves all cultures. The different collegiate events have made me more confident. I will leave this University as a more independent person.
Bachelor of Audio and Speech Pathology